GO 630 Battery Life

I just purchased a new GO 630 and find after a 24 hour charge the battery only last 1/2 hour. Is this normal? I thought battery was 5 hours. Do I have a defective unit?

Thanks

I just purchased a new GO 630 and find after a 24 hour charge the battery only last 1/2 hour. Is this normal? I thought battery was 5 hours. Do I have a defective unit?

Thanks
If the 630 is anything like its cousins in the x30 range, 2-1/2 hours would be doing pretty good, and only with a very low backlight setting ... which brings me to the obvious Qs.

How did you handle the initial charge and use of the battery? How many times has it been charged and discharged so far? How was your backlight set when you got your 1/2 hour result? Was the Bluetooth enabled? Was an SD card installed?

There are a whole host of power sucking options that might lead to your problem, and lithium polymer batteries are noted for preferring a few full cycles before they perform at their best level.

Remember, it says "up to" 5 hours.

No SD card, standard factory setting for back lighting. I initially charged it over night, battery lasted 10-15 minutes. I then left it charging for 24 hours using a wall socket powered usb charger. That is when I got only a 1/2 hour of service. Any suggestions would be helpful. I also have not been able to connect to Home. Customer service just sent be a new USB cable to try. I have not tried the new cable yet, later this weekend.

What do you mean when you say you can't connect to Home? What happens or doesn't happen?

Have you tried a pin reset?

(certainly sounds as if this 'new' unit may not be....)

No SD card, standard factory setting for back lighting. I initially charged it over night, battery lasted 10-15 minutes.
Whoa there. That sounds like your "over night" never charged the battery at all and you were working on the initial bit of charge that it came with. Did the little green light in the lower right illuminate during that "overnight" charge? That you are also unable to connect to Home indicates you may not have any decent connection at all there (for charging OR data!), or a problem with the USB port that you used. Do you have another A to mini-B USB cable from some other device that you can try while you wait for the replacement?

Last edited:
Tech support has determined my unit is defective and will exchange it for a new unit. So we will see what happens in a couple of weeks when I have a new unit.

Just my 2 cents, If your 630 was purchased within the last month, call tech support back and make sure that you will get the FULL 1 year warranty with the replacement unit. Get them to send you an email verifying this fact. My experience with TomTom has been that when they replace your GPS 1) the unit is not new, but in fact a factory refurb and 2) you only get a 6 month warranty.

I already confirmed with tech support that I am in fact getting a new unit with full warranty. Thanks to all. I should have the unit in a couple of weeks. I am delaying sending in the bad unit due to a trip I am taking and will use the defective unit for the trip and return it after. What ever is in the unit from the factory will have to do for the moment.

Even when the unit is not defective, the battery life is poor. The other issue I have is that it dies without any warning. I just keep it plugged in all the time. Can't even get 1-1/2 hours out of mine.

Craig, I assume the battery you removed in the video had already been taken out at some prior point because I have never known one come out that easily before - Mike

@starscraper19, @craig1440 -- enough with the ongoing stealth advertising of your business. One reference is enough, OK? And yes, it was that obvious with a bit of digging.

"..and was pleased with their service.." Right.

Look - we're interested in users here who have had specific experiences with vendors, not vendors pretending to be users. If it weren't for the attempt to deceive, I'd probably have let it pass, but ..

Thanks for pointing out that this is a vendor pretending to be a user. I don't like sneakiness, it makes me distrust the company and their products.

The video was helpful. But I ordered a new battery from a different vendor I found on Amazon, who was selling at a lot less.

Thanks

Was the unit you purchased Brand New or New refurbished from manufacture .. ??
I found the New 630 purchased last October I had no trouble getting 90 minutes out of the battery, But when the device crashed so bad and being under warranty I got a new refurbished ( with all new cables and cards etc..) the battery only lasted 5 to 10 minutes .. So I bought a battery thru Ebay for a manufacturers brand for battery to fit the TT630 got the install instructions off of the net and youtube and installed the delivered battery which now had a life of 90 minutes again ..

Ask a Question