Battery Life TT920

I have had a tt 920 since April. Made several long trips but now the unit's battery is depleted after only 30 minutes. Is this the average charge folks are seeing. Getting to Customer Service at TT has been painful. Does anyone know where and how I can replace the battery?

Last edited:
I have had a tt 920 since April. Made several long trips but now the unit's battery is depleted after only 30 minutes. Is this the average charge folks are seeing. Getting to Customer Service at TT has been painful. Does anyone know where and how I can replace the battery?

Have you used the battery saving options? Do you have Bluetooth enabled (it's a power draw)? Are you sure the unit is fully charges, either by dock or car charger prior to setting out?

What wrong with those power supply designer lately??? :(
I got the Nokia 6555 3G phone, advertised as 3.5hrs talk-time, result of barely last over 1.5hrs.
I got the GO920, advertised as "up to" 5hrs, never make to 2.5hrs w/o charging.

Battery Life sucks

I too bought a 920 in March and the battery life has been getting progressively worse. Bluetooth is not enabled and as far as I'm aware, there are no power drain options open. Having just completed a 6 week tour of the US after a full charge via the mains I was getting no more than 60 minutes as a result we kept the 12V lead plugged in whenever we travelled. :mad:

I have failed to get hold of TomTom CS so will be taking the issue up with the retailer.

I found the battery life to be poor also. I get about 60 mins on a full charge. I now always have the 12v power cord plugged in. I am in the process of searching for a new mount that supplies 12v power when the unit is attached to it. I have read other posts on here that recommend some mounts. The supplied mount is horrible as it constantly falls off.

After writing my previous post, I too am now down to about 60 minutes.

I don't use the supplied mount because it's awful - I bought a mount thatg clips into the air-vents but that is now beginning to slip. If there are mounts that can also provide power that would be rather good, although I've not seen one.

I am surprised that the 920's (others?) seem to have such a poor battery life. My 910 lasts for hours (3+, possibly 4), as I occasionally use it in a RAM mount on a motorcycle, and it is not connected to a power supply there. I do not have the bluetooth on, but in the daytime - brightness level is set to 100%.

It may be that my history of frequently letting the unit discharge the battery rather then always being connected to a power supply has actually helped, because I have been told with other devices that simply leaving it always plugged in can actually degrade the battery faster over time

I am surprised that the 920's (others?) seem to have such a poor battery life. My 910 lasts for hours (3+, possibly 4), as I occasionally use it in a RAM mount on a motorcycle, and it is not connected to a power supply there. I do not have the bluetooth on, but in the daytime - brightness level is set to 100%.

It may be that my history of frequently letting the unit discharge the battery rather then always being connected to a power supply has actually helped, because I have been told with other devices that simply leaving it always plugged in can actually degrade the battery faster over time

I questioned this when I bought the unit and was advised that the battery is of a type where it does not need to be discharged before being topped up. Actualy, both my camcorders are like this also and always hold a charge without the battery life degrading.

I suspect that the battery is substandard or there is a constant drain that I have yet to turn off. Currently waiting for some sense from TomTom.

Tomtom 920T High capacity battery

Anyone know where to buy the higher capacity internal battery for TT 920T. Fully charged in the dock or cigarette lighter . Used without DC cord , battery last only 30 minutes or less.

RE: Motorcycle Mount

Hello,

How do you find this particular unit in direct sunlight. I find it absolutely horrible when I put it on my motorcycle...I can't see it at 100% in direct sunlight. What would you suggest? BTW, I have tried several other schemes, but any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks.

Brightness is worse then my original 910 (slightly - but really noticeable on a bike). You have to find a color scheme with maximum contrast, and use a sunshade on the bike in daylight - otherwise - forgetaboutit!

As for the battery, with daylight mode - it only lases 1.5 hours now - less than half of the 910's battery life.

Nice cost cutting decision TomTom !!!

I thought the "turn off screen between instructions" might go a long way to preserve the charge when not hooked up to a power source, but that setting does not seem to do anything??? I did a pin reset - no change

Not to justify the short battery life being experienced by some but TomTom units really never were meant to be operated without the vehicle power attachment; that's why they are provided in the box.

It's a valid concern for those who wish to use the unit while they walk around using the unit to replace a map in a city. Some people use the auxiliary power units that can be bought in hardware and electronic stores.

And I agree........'5 hours' battery life suggested by TomTom is a croc.

I thought the "turn off screen between instructions" might go a long way to preserve the charge when not hooked up to a power source, but that setting does not seem to do anything??? I did a pin reset - no change

The response I received from TomTom was to set the screen at 50% brightness, volume at 30% and to turn off the screen between instructions. I did this but:

a) I couldn't hear the damn instructions at 30% volume; and
b) I couldn't tell if the screen was 'off' because it was between instructions or because the battery had died.

While these setting did give me 2 hours battery life (just!) they were 2 lousy hours.

I think I will have to resign myself to always using the power cord in the car and never use it to walk around the place because it's just not capable.

The 5 hour life quoted by TT is simply untrue and I am pursuing this with TT - although I do not expect to get anywhere. :mad:

The response I received from TomTom was to set the screen at 50% brightness, volume at 30% and to turn off the screen between instructions. I did this but:

a) I couldn't hear the damn instructions at 30% volume; and
b) I couldn't tell if the screen was 'off' because it was between instructions or because the battery had died.

While these setting did give me 2 hours battery life (just!) they were 2 lousy hours.

I think I will have to resign myself to always using the power cord in the car and never use it to walk around the place because it's just not capable.

The 5 hour life quoted by TT is simply untrue and I am pursuing this with TT - although I do not expect to get anywhere. :mad:
I believe we all should make a big stink about this to TomTom. Do they really want a class action on their hands? I am not all about making threats but give me a break. If your product works for a certain amount of time (1 hour or so) put THAT on the box. You should put a time on the box that most closely resembles how most people use the unit (actually having volume and the screen on). Don't just make up some number so that your product compares to a different brand on a spec list.

The unit is meant to operate in the vehicle with the charger attached. That's why it's provided.......

Having said that, I know that many also want to use the unit while walking through streets in a city. Some resort to using those power providers that can be bought in electronic and other stores.

I agree, 5 hours is a joke. But so are the EPA gas ratings listed for automobiles .......

The thing that bothers me most about the terrible TomTom battery life is that if I do not use the unit for a week, I can not just pick it up to program in a new destination since the battery is dead. I need to connect it to a power source before I can use it. I contacted TomTom about this a while back, but their answer was basically nonsense.

Ask a Question