Bad routing with IQ routes

TT920; App version 8.351; map version North America 830.2284.

Richland, WA to Minden NV: 920 routes via Portland, giving 844 miles, 13:42 hours.

Reversing the route:
Minden, WA to Richland, WA: 920 routes via Burns, OR, giving 688 miles, 12:32 hours.

Using a via to force what I know is the best route:
Richland, WA via Winnemucca, NV, to Minden, NV: 920 gives 696 miles, 11:38 hours.

Any idea why the IQ routes is SO BAD? I'm concerned there is a general bug in the map or app that will cause me problems until it's corrected.

Question: Are the first 6 hours or so of the route correct?

No, only the first 30 miles or so are the same. Each route is dramatically different.

Really bad routing using IQ routes

Do you have any restrictions set in Planning preferences?

Preferences are: fastest routes; ask for ferries, HOV lanes, dirt roads; use IQ routes.

Turning off IQ routes changes the routes TT selects, but still doesn't find the best route.

Google Maps, which also uses Tele Atlas maps, finds the correct route without any help.

TomTom Routes on their website provides the same bad routes as my 920. A quirk of TT Routes: it continues to give route mileages that are about 9% shorter than the actual mileage for that route, as determined by my 920 or Google maps. I've reported this a couple of times, but it's not changed since Routes began.

Do you have any restrictions set in Planning preferences?
I tried his itinerary (just city center to city center since I didn't have any specific addresses) using "Fastest" with no other restrictions, using "Now" for the timing in the wee hours last night, and am afraid I got similar results. 13:43 outbound at 846 miles, and 12:26 on the return at 690 miles. Quite a difference in routing.

I wonder whether a bad or misplaced mapshare by somebody is playing into the equation. In other words, a road or something that IQ routes would take is showing as blocked or something??

Using my 930 with the new 830 map and the new 8.351 navcore.

Somethings up with the route " going " to NV.

Maybe some type of road or bridge work on the WA. to NV. side of the roadway.

I changed the setting to " shortest route " and only to avoid " dirt roads ".

Turned off IQ routes and traffic.

I then get 671 miles and 16:20 hrs going to NV.

And 672 miles and 16:21 hrs going back to WA.

I wonder whether a bad or misplaced mapshare by somebody is playing into the equation. In other words, a road or something that IQ routes would take is showing as blocked or something??
Blowing away the current mapshare data would certainly help to determine that. I'd do it here, but I've got a number of temporarily important unsharable bits in mine that I REALLY would hate to have to duplicate. Wanna be the guinea pig?

Sure, give me the detailed specs.
All any of us have been doing it town center to town center, Richland, WA to Minden NV, time NOW, method Fastest.

I think it's something with IQroutes shutting off after about 6 hours.

The second half of Flyguy's faster (eastern) route is overestimated by about 2 hours when IQroutes is off. Try Jordan Valley, OR to Minden, NV.

So if tomtom measures the second half of the trip at non IQ speeds, it may think it takes too long and chooses the western (mostly interstate) route instead.

As noted in my link, I see the value in Tomtom only running IQroutes data for the first 6 hours. This is one of the rare cases where Non-IQ data is so bad that this shortcut results in the wrong route.

Last edited:
All any of us have been doing it town center to town center, Richland, WA to Minden NV, time NOW, method Fastest.

Removed allmapshare corrections. Fastest. Now.

13 hours 39 minutes. 843 miles. So much for that theory.....

Ask a Question