Bad direction

TomTom Model(s)
xxl 550
I just got a new Tom Tom (replacing an old Garmin). I like the functionality. However, I'm about to return it. Despite uploading new maps, in local drives it has made some very illogical decisions. Fortunately, I knew better, but this would not help me if I were out-of-town. Any suggestions?

Strange routing can come from a number of sources. First, it's important to know how you've configured it - shortest, fastest, what? Then, can you describe one or two examples of how the routing has been 'illogical'? There are times where this can happen for reasons that can be corrected, and sometimes where it can't.

I would love to solve the issue. I had selected the fastest route - going from Hoffman Estates, IL to Evanston, IL (straight line drive on 1-90 into city) - It tried to route me on I53 N (does not make sense on any map - shortest or fastest). And that was just one of three examples for that same trip. I've stared at this on a google map - it takes you completely in the wrong direction.

Do you have MapShare enabled, and/or do you have a traffic receiver attached?

If it thought there was a major problem on I-90, it might have tried to use Northwest Highway as an alternative. Truth to tell, that might actually be shorter by a tiny bit - all it takes is a few feet! - but normally no where near as fast. That's why I asked about config as "Shortest" could make sense out of things like that.

Thanks for your suggestion. I just grabbed the GPS out of the car and confirmed that it is set for "fastest." So I'm still confused and frustrated. But I may have figured it out (fingers crossed). I may have selected "YES" for avoid toll roads (when I meant YES to take toll roads). I'll have to give it another try. Can I ask you another question..

Sometimes when I'm on an expressway and traffic is bad, with my old GPS it was very easy to re-route without expressways. Is there an easy way with the TomTom?

Oops - yeah, if that section of road is a toll road and was being avoided, that would be yet another explanation for why you were being sent north and east instead of east and north.

There has been an interesting discussion between TomTom and some of its users about whether wording on these devices should be "Include toll roads" or "Avoid toll roads", and many other similar circumstances where Yes/No answers are expected. It continues.

Once in a while (back to a previous possibility) we see someone show a road as blocked for construction and wrongly log it as 'permanent' and MapShare it. When that happens, you just have to kill off the MapShare data with Home and tighten up the qualification for what you'll accept for MapShare data.

OK - as to your 2nd question... I don't recall what the 550 has for options since it's a different menu structure than any of my units. If it's like any of mine, expressways can be specifically avoided. However, getting dumped onto a slow surface road may be no better much of the time.

I had asked earlier if your unit includes the traffic receiver option. Does it?

No - It does not have the real time updates, so I would assume that it does not have the traffic receiver.

As for question #1, I think the problem is solved. Inadvertently avoiding toll roads accounts for all three "mistakes" it made during that trip to Hoffman Estates.

Thanks for your help.

There are two different kinds of traffic systems for a TomTom. One is a "Live" system (GPRS to cell towers) - not available on the XXL550, and the other is RDS-TMC that's broadcast by FM radio stations, and there would be a little 'egg' gadget built into your power cable for the car that would be pretty obvious. If your unit was a 550T or 550TM, the "T" would be for traffic and you'd have that in your cable. If not, then that obviously will never impact your routing.

Yep - I have the XXL.

Happy with it in every other way (now that I solved the routing issue).

Thanks again.

Ask a Question