Backup location on PC

In the backup instructions it says to backup to the C:/ drive under "my computer". Is it ok to backup to these files in the "my documents" folder instead?

Yes, but it's in those instructions where it suggests (rather oddly) to make a new folder directly to C:\ for the backup.

joemero... I would suggest doing just as you say, and creating folders somewhere in "My Documents" for your backups.

Actually, (so long as you remember where you put them!), you can put the backups wherever you like.
I use a portable USB harddrive, or I know lots of people just keep their latest backup on the PC and archive all the older ones onto recordable DVD disks.

Last edited:
I would also put them in a "nest" of sub-folders with useful names, so you end up with something like:

-My Documents
--TomTom Backups
----GO 740
---------Backup 1 - Day one as new (v855 map)
---------Backup 2 - v9.022 before update
---------Backup 3 - v9.058 map v865
----ONE XL
---------Backup 1 - Day one as new
---------Backup 2 - v8.010 before update
---------Backup 3 - map v860

(I made those folder names up just as examples)

Geez, man.......your flu makes you miserable! ;)

The instructions here:

In the left pane, click on 'My Computer' to expand the listing. Now, highlight Local Disk (usually C:\). Now, at the top menu, File-->New-->Folder and name it something meaningful like 'TT backup when new' or you can provide a date in the folder name. You get the idea. It is this folder to which the contents of your unit will get backed up to.

sort of infer what you said, Andy. Guess they could be spelled out a little better.

------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I just added this to the liink, Andy.

For subsequent backups, use a different folder (perhaps a sub-folder of the previous one) again giving it a meaningful name. You'd want a new backup for every application update and especially every map update).

(and personally, I don't like my backups going into a Documents & Settings sub folder. Maybe it's just me........:) )

Last edited:
Sorry! Didn't mean to come across miserable. :confused:

But I'm definitely not all there yet... Feels a bit like someone's done a factory reset to the back of my head!

Should have just said "Yes" as an answer...:p

Last edited:

Ask a Question