Avoid Back Roads?

I have a TomTomXL and any time I plan a route, without fail, it takes me down back roads. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but I mostly use it when I'm towing my 34 foot 5th wheel. We are 13'6" tall, so I really need to avoid back routes.

Yesterday, when leaving a campground, it was AWFUL because of all the low trees on the back roads it sent me down!

PLEASE tell me there's a way to program this thing to AVOID back roads!

Thanks!

What map version and application do you have? And, under planning preferences, do you have the option Avoid unpaved roads?

How do I find that information?

I don't have an option to avoid unpaved roads. Just one to avoid freeways.

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the application installed. Now, tap the application number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version.

Can you provide the application & map version you have?

Your map is about four years old. The current one is 870 and the 875 map is due within a week.

Perhaps, consider updating??

Nope but the route selected might be more appropriate. Do this:

In the link below, fill in the first 2 characters of your model's serial number (found on the silver sticker on the bottom) to see precisely the model TomTom says you have:

Which TomTom device do I have?

The only TomTom's that have a specific facility to avoid minor roads and similar hazards are the "Truck" or "Work" models.

See here for details.

I have a TomTomXL and any time I plan a route, without fail, it takes me down back roads. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but I mostly use it when I'm towing my 34 foot 5th wheel. We are 13'6" tall, so I really need to avoid back routes.

Yesterday, when leaving a campground, it was AWFUL because of all the low trees on the back roads it sent me down!

PLEASE tell me there's a way to program this thing to AVOID back roads!

Thanks!

be sure you have your TT set to use the *quickest* route, not the *shortest* route.

Agreed, that WILL help a bit, but TomToms still have a tendency to use a lot of very minor roads and tracks because the routing algorithm thinks it will save a few seconds.

Often this means it will divert you off a major route and through some country lanes, only to bring you out onto the same main road just a mile or so further on.

My wife (a sceptic) calls them "TomTom play routes".

To me in my old x4 it's just a minor irritation, but to someone driving a motorhome or caravan it must be a real pain (and to the residents of the country villages too!)

The only solution TomTom has is their expensive, business-orientated "truck" maps and devices.
but to produce a really good solution for caravanners and holidaymakers would really improve their market share.

Agree on all points - I have been lead down an obscure North Dakota farming section line by the mapmakers who must have figured for sure it looked like a ND graveled road (It wasn't!).

There are several possibilities to help avoid this. The quickest method but not necesarily the best option would be to preview your chosen route on your TomTom (choose Browse Map). If it looks like you are routed incorrectly, force it on a different route with the Via option.

Another option which I use most often and is quite reliable but takes more planning time and requires a computer with Internet hookup, is a program called TYRE. Do the route planning on it, then check the route carefully for its choice of roads. I prefer to zoom in on the Satellite view to determine the possible road-type. If you decide to change the route, drag it whereever you wish (make sure you put a new waypoint on the correct side of the road on a double-lane highway!). This method has been my favorite for trip planning. However, it is still possible that the mapmakers have outdated roads (I was once taken to a dead-end road within a city, even with all my best-laid plans).

Ask a Question