Aux out problem, 720

I'm only getting one channel when I connect an aux cable for music -- FM picks up both channels.

first trouble shoot was changing the cable: nope.

a lot of jiggling the cable from the bottom of the TT will occasionally connect both channels [L does not normally work].

I'm open to suggestions . . . don't want to send the thing away for repairs if I don't have to but warranty is almost up.

I had intermittent audio out from my 730. Replaced with RMA unit. Problem solved. If yours is still under warranty I suggest you get it replaced while you can.

I'm open to suggestions . . . don't want to send the thing away for repairs if I don't have to but warranty is almost up.
Count yourself lucky that you've still got some warranty time on that one. I'd get it in right away. Even were you to crack the case and have a look, you'd find the SMT 1/8" jack sealed in such a way that you couldn't form the contacts inside any more easily than from the outside - if the contacts are the issue. I haven't heard of this connector coming loose at the board, either, so no simple resoldering job seems likely, either.

call to TomTom #1: the problem is the cable -- a specific I-Pod cable must be used [heavy sarcasm . . . right] . . . or . . . the problem is the stereo itself, not the TomTOm [becuase I'm an idiot and wouldn't have thought of that myself and checked].

OK, I'll bite: going to buy the specific cable and I'll check out another car again before I sigh call again.

HOLD IT: before the end of the call the decision was [a] not the cable and not the car . . . must be the unit! duh

soft reset [done], hard reset [to be done], then send in copy of receipt for warranty work.

we'll see what happens

Letting them know that wiggling the connector will enable/disable the channel, and that an alternate cable does exactly the same thing, should together have been more than a big enough clue for them. Alas. Well, at least you have your ticket started before your warranty expires.

you'd think they would clue in, but you know how tech support goes: read the instructions on the screen in front of you. can't blame the company [o yess I can] for trying every possible solution before replacing the device, but something like this?

soft reset: check
hard reset: check
uninstall/reinstall application: check
disk repair[?] [sheesh!]: check

hmm . . . now I have to submit the proof of purchase and once that's done find out about replacement/repair.

refurbished replacement
No new 720s left, but the refurbs tend to be pretty good units. Just make that they send you one with a decent battery ... you never know how the previous user treated it. Give it a day or two of full discharge/charge and see whether you're happy with the battery life compared to what you'd been expecting from your own. If you don't like it, make a fuss.

Ah - and realize that any map subscriptions, etc., were tied to the serial number of your old unit. You'll need to get with tech support separately and report the old/new serial numbers so they can transfer your information. You'll also want to make sure that they swap your email account to the new serial number, or create a new account (real or bogus, it doesn't matter) for Home.

I am amazed.

Sent the device in on Friday. Back today [Wednesday].

Linking e-mail address to account and making sure that I get the latest map [no problem]

And I got the whole kit and caboodle -- charger, dock and another windhield cup. bonus!,

Last edited:

Ask a Question