Audio Through Stereo AUX

I want to send the voice through my car's stereo. I know I just need a cable to link the GO730 to the AUX jack on the stereo but I'm not sure which cable to buy. If you've done this please post the cable's specs. Thanks!

What stereo are you trying to connect up to? the output socket on the TomTom is 3,5MM Stereo jack socket - Mike

What stereo are you trying to connect up to? the output socket on the TomTom is 3,5MM Stereo jack socket - Mike

I bought a Ford F-150 (2007) that has an auxiliary port for MP3 players and such. I was going to run the audio from the TomTom to that AUX port and then through the truck's speakers. Or should I say lorry?

OFF TOPIC: My wife and I had a wonderful time walking around the Cotswolds last year. And we found Bath to be a lovely place to spend a few days. That part of England is absolutely beautiful!

If your AUX in on your truck is also 1/8" (likely) then something like Radio Shack 42-2387 will do the job. That's the 6 foot version, and they come in other lengths as well. The 3 foot version is 42-223.

If your AUX in on your truck is also 1/8" (likely) then something like Radio Shack 42-2387 will do the job. That's the 6 foot version, and they come in other lengths as well. The 3 foot version is 42-223.

Perfect! The 3' would do nicely and there's a Radio Shack not too far from me. I appreciate the advice.

I'm a newbie - bought my 730 today - why can't you connect it wirelessly? I haven't set mine up yet but that's the way I intend to try it. The unit will send a signal on a specific frequency for you to tune your radio to. It give you a choice of frequencies I believe. Or am I missing something?
Yes Bath and the Cotswolds (not the same place!) are beautiful but don't drink the water in the spa tap room!
By the way, I tested my internal memory to destruction and phoned Customer Services after trying everything else I could think of! Richard was an absolute star and didn't take long, via Q&A, to figure out the problem. I had to reinstall the GB & EU map. It took over 20 mins and he waited patiently whil we chatted, mostly about SatNav & TomTom (I've had a PDA with it for a few years). He waited until I got it up & running! First class service!

I'm a newbie - bought my 730 today - why can't you connect it wirelessly? I haven't set mine up yet but that's the way I intend to try it. The unit will send a signal on a specific frequency for you to tune your radio to. It give you a choice of frequencies I believe. Or am I missing something?
!
How well the internal modulator works varies widely between installations. Unlike my prior vehicle, my current vehicle really won't fly with it -- the antenna is mounted on top of the roof at the rear of the vehicle, and the modulator just doesn't have the power to make that trip with a good enough signal. There are also places around the world where you can't find a decent "dead" spot on the dial. In major U.S. metro areas, this is often the case. About the time you think you have one, you drive 10 miles and find another station trying to creep in. It's nice that the TomTom has a quick switch to an alternate frequency, but even then, "quiet" is not assured.

Unless the modulator is doing a really good job for your specific installation - and it may - the aux-out audio quality is going to be better.

I considered using the FM broadcast feature but I don't want to have to change frequencies every time I go from one city to the next. There's a good chance that the open frequency you find in one location will be used in another. I just thought it would be easier to use the AUX input since it's already there.

I suppose if you stay in one place most of the time using the FM option wouldn't be bad.

The best option is the A2DP Bluetooth connection for audio, but this requires a compatible car deck or additional Bluetooth hardware fitting to the car, no re-tunes and great sound quality. If you want the best then ditch the FM and Line Out, but its going to cost adding the A2DP Bluetooth support to the car - Mike

The best option is the A2DP Bluetooth connection for audio, but this requires a compatible car deck or additional Bluetooth hardware fitting to the car, no re-tunes and great sound quality. If you want the best then ditch the FM and Line Out, but its going to cost adding the A2DP Bluetooth support to the car - Mike

My truck doesn't have that built in and I can't see paying for the addition hardware just to hear directions from a navigator.

Ask a Question