auto dim

Yes this problem has occured and TT Support thinks otherwise. Try to disconnect the unit from the mount and see if it changes from there. If not, connect the unit to home and use virtual tomtom and check to see what color it's shown in. Disconnect the unit from home and turn it on with the mount. When disconnect from Home, it resets the unit and that reset might help restore it back.

I had the same problem. Not only did mine not autodim, it wouldn't go into night mode. I took it back inside and connected it to home. The next day all was fine. I haven't had that problem again since.

I think we must have all experienced the same problem. For several days mine 910 would neither dim nor go into night mode. I was working on some mp3s and after I used tomtom home and reinstalled the unit in the car the night mode and auto dim worked fine.

I did a soft restore this morning before left for work and when the sun came up it went to day time mode so I hope that did it. I have not tried to go from light to dark yet.

Let us know if the reverse back to night works. There appears to be a link between the removing the unit from the mount and replacing it.

I thought I was having this problem, but it seems that dimming and auto-night mode only work when attached to the windshield dock. I was getting no dimming using the desktop dock and it wouldn't dim running on battery undocked. I thought it odd that the windshield dock doesn't need to be powered for the dimming to work. Seems a strange design decision if its not simply a bug.

I'm new to your forum but this is the exact reason why I joined. I've had three, yes three, model 910s now and they all have the same problem. I live very close to TomTom's USA headquarters so I simply went there in person and exchanged for new ones - but to no avail. My 910 looses its nighttime screen setting about one a week. It will default back to the Africa setting instead of whatever I've set it for. I can tell when the problem occurs because the unit will go through a full boot up sequence (to the agreement page) rather than simply waking up where it was shut down. This problem is intermettant when I leave the unit in my car, but it will occur every time I connect to HOME. Tom Tom says they are aware of the problem and are working on a patch due out in March07. They say the patch will address the volitile memory problem and the auto dim problem. I am not holding my breath. Any thoughts back?

Welcome Erich.
Have you tried my suggestion about connection the unit to HOME? I would recommend do this and turn on virtual TomTom. Usually the problems comes out after connecting to Home and it doesn't work anymore. After turning on Virtual TomTom, make sure it's on Day mode. If it's not, that is one red flag. When switching to day mode in virtual tomtom, it usually doesn't give you a warning saying "do you want it to switch to night mode when dark?". Next turn off Virtual TomTom and disconnect from Home. Connect your 910 to the >>MOUNT<< and go to an environment where its pitch dark and move to where it's bright. See if there's a difference.

I'm having the exact same issue with my 510. I'll try the solution mentioned above and let you know if it works.

My 910 did exactly the same thing others in the thread are noting. After I updated the day/night feature did not function. As Pedro2NR suggested I connected the unit to TT home and when I reinstalled it all was well.

Ask a Question