Audio issues over FM

TomTom Model(s)
GO 930T
Whenever I play an mp3 file over FM, Tomtom will pause the music when a route instruction is given, and unpause it after the instruction is completed.

Sporadically, the Tomtom will not unpause the music. This leads to silence over the FM. There are two events that will unpause the music. The first, is if the Tomtom decides to give another route instruction, upon completion, that act usually unpauses the music. The second, is if I select the Jukebox, pause the track, select the Jukebox again and resume the track, will the Tomtom unpause the music.

I'm not sure if this happens over line out, I usually notice it over FM.

Why does this happen?

8,351 is the latest version of Navcore for an x20/ x30 device unless you have a Work/ Truck map installed? - Mike

I am now running

version 8.351
Map North America v850.2781

The issue is present when I am playing music over FM. It's funny, when I play over FM, line out is also enabled, and the issue is present on line out when selecting the FM transmitter as the output.

I have not tested if this issue is present when I select line out as the output.

Last edited:
A workaround that might be a solution, but a drastic one.

I ended up replacing the application with an SE Navcore, that had the ability to delete the flash settings on my GO. I first reformatted, installed the SE Navcore, deleted my flash and reformatted again.

I am now able to mark map error locations properly.

Methinks it was all a flash issue.

A reply from my mark map location error thread.

The clearing of the flash seems to have reduced the issue significantly. During a 40 minute trip, I only experience the issue once. The song paused itself after an instruction was given, and instead of immediately unpausing, it unpaused only after the next instruction was given.

I'm hoping that the problem stays at this level since I can't find a complete solution.

are you using bluetooth handsfree? ive seen this as one of the bugs associated with bluetooth handsfree

See here for some possible workarounds.

Last edited:
I have had this issue with both my 720 and 920 through several versions of firmware. It doesn't happen that often, and I have just learned to deal with it. I also had the BT problem as mention in the other thread but I have since stopped using BT with my TomTom.

are you using bluetooth handsfree? ive seen this as one of the bugs associated with bluetooth handsfree

See here for some possible workarounds.
Hi,

I have noticed this problem. I have been trying to play music through my car radio using mp3s played on my Tom Tom 940 played through the FM transmitter and my mobile being connected via the Blue Tooth.

I have read the other thread (which is closed and one can not post any responses there) related to blue tooth bug etc. In that thread you mention that one would loose the ability to tranmit the navigational instructions through the FM, if one follows that BT bug fix (downgrading) - but even with my present 8.371 version of Navcore I am unable to send Navigational Instructions via the FM - only music can be played through the FM.

The Navigational Instructions can only be played through the built-in speaker or BT headphones or line-out - but not through FM. The MP3 music can be played through built-in, BT Headphones, line-out or FM.

This suggests that the problems with MP3 playing through FM are related to bug in BT and Navigational Instructions being transmitted over FM.

So far I have never tried the BT Headphones option at all - so I cann't tell if that ever works.

Looks like Tom Tom is trying to solve this triangular dependency by first not allowing anyone to transmit navigational instructions through the FM at all thus breaking this triangular dependency - but they have not been succesful yet from the looks of it.

The nav instructions should only be available via FM Tx IF you have an mp3 track selected and playing, to avoid having to listen to music there is a silent mp3 track that can be loaded and selected so you only get the Nav instructions as the device thinks its playing an mp3 even though its silent - Not ideal but blame the Euro agency for this one - Mike

The nav instructions should only be available via FM Tx IF you have an mp3 track selected and playing, to avoid having to listen to music there is a silent mp3 track that can be loaded and selected so you only get the Nav instructions as the device thinks its playing an mp3 even though its silent - Not ideal but blame the Euro agency for this one - Mike
Well,

As I understood you I tried this:

1. I played a valid MP3 through the FM Tx
  2. While it was playing through the radio I then went into Change Preferences
  3. Selected Speaker Preferences
  4. But I am not able to see any option to Play Instructions using FM - there is no change in options available under this speaker preferences menu
  5. On the next screen it shows Play Music using FM to your car radio which is already selected. But this plays the music only through the radio - there is still no option to play instructions through the car's radio

The navigational instructions come out through the built in speaker only.

Which step am I missing?

Ask a Question