Anyone else hugely disappointed with MapShare?

I've seen both, multiple times. I think I even posted a screenshot a week or two ago of me getting a map update. I just wish they'd document what exactly the update is doing... That's VERY annoying. Someone, somewhere must know what the update it doing - how hard is it to attach a .txt file to tell US what they're changing. :mad:

I know this works as advertised because I have seen it working. Changes (oneway direction changes) that I reported, then removed the 'personal correction' from my tomtom, came back to me as 'approved' corrections from tomtom.

It does not work as advertised when they never seem to correct new or alterred (ie, widened, rerouted, etc.) roads, which is supposedly a feature of MapShare.

The only commercial/advertisement I've seen for this was a rather stupid TV commercial that would make it impossible to work as advertised. A guy pulls up to road construction in his car, so he uses the MapShare feature to note it, and then syncs when he gets home? For temporary road construction? Who cares about a road that's going to be blocked for a week? It will take longer than that for TomTom to verify it (if it's even possible) and get the MapShare update out to everyone. So it's not working as advertised, and the way they advertised that it works is ridiculous.

And, to set the record straight (for the last time I hope), it was never said that you could add roads to the map. You can't! The only changes you (or tomtom) can make to your current map are street name, street direction, block / unblock street and add/remove/edit POI. Any other mapshare option is just a 'report'!

No, but it was "advertised" in the product description that you can notify TomTom of these new and changed items, and they will verify them and send them out to all MapShare subscribers. I've yet to receive ANY of these changes, and I live in what is technically the biggest city in Florida.

Personally, I am hugely impressed with mapshare. I have corrected street names, directions and unblocked roads that were incorrectly 'closed' and it has all worked perfectly, as advertised. But then, I am not expecting it to be able to do things that it was never designed (or advertised) to do! ;)

Obviously, you live in a major city. But what about the rest of us that don't live in a New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles? I haven't received ANY map updates of closed or newly open local roads. One of the first things I did when I upgraded to MapShare was submit the correct name of an erroneously labeled local major highway, and also notify them that it is now a 4-lane instead of 2-lane road. I have received nothing back from them via MapShare....absolutely nothing...about anything in my area of the country. This is a major new road that is the only road to get to the east coast in my area without traveling an hour north or south to two different cities.

Judging by the responses so far (and the reviews out on the internet), I would have to contradict you in that MapShare isn't just not working as advertised -- for most of us, it's not working at all. I, for one, feel extremely ripped off, as this feature and the new maps that were required to use it are no better than the previous map version for everywhere that I drive in the SE USA.

Basically, unless you live in a major city, it's a worthless feature. I'm sure I received all your local road blockages and re-openings as well, but I've received nothing for my own area of the country, regardless of how many dozens I've submitted.

Hi Internetpilot,

I am not going to argue with you, you are obviously disappointed with performance of Map Share in your area, but I really must correct you on a couple of points;

It does not work as advertised when they never seem to correct new or alterred (ie, widened, rerouted, etc.) roads, which is supposedly a feature of MapShare.
It was never said that those things would (or could) be corrected in your map. You are only reporting them to TomTom. Any corrections of that type are to future maps, not your current one.

No, but it was "advertised" in the product description that you can notify TomTom of these new and changed items, and they will verify them and send them out to all MapShare subscribers.
The only changes you can receive are street name, street direction, street block/unblock and POI add/remove/edit. It wasn't ever advertised that you could receive corrections that added new or changed road geometry.

..but I've received nothing for my own area of the country, regardless of how many dozens I've submitted.
How do you know you haven't?? Suppose you received a street name correction from TT, but you didn't previously see the incorrect version. How would you know it had been corrected?

Hi Internetpilot,

I am not going to argue with you, you are obviously disappointed with performance of Map Share in your area, but I really must correct you on a couple of points;

It was never said that those things would (or could) be corrected in your map. You are only reporting them to TomTom. Any corrections of that type are to future maps, not your current one.

The only changes you can receive are street name, street direction, street block/unblock and POI add/remove/edit. It wasn't ever advertised that you could receive corrections that added new or changed road geometry.

You should read this then:

What sort of map corrections can I make with Map Share??

It clearly states that these changes can be made via MapShare, but they simply do not take immediate effect like the changes you are citing. They go on to explain that you can share ALL these changes with other MapShare subscribers, and no where in there do they say that these non-immediate changes will only be distributed in future map upgrades that you must pay for. The technical support topic linked to at the TomTom website is: "What sort of map corrections can I make with Map Share??" These are corrections that can be MADE via MapShare. It doesn't say "Changes that can be submitted via MapShare for map updates released in the future."

If your depiction of MapShare is true, then we're all suckers because with the exception of changing a street name and reversing traffic direction (something that's only useful in a handful of very large cities and typically changes on a daily, if not hourly, basis depending on traffic levels), all other MapShare features that you're citing (adding POIs, editing/deleting POIs, and blocking/unblocking streets) have been available since at least v5.XX of the application, if not before then. Any other map changes have always been submittable via the TeleAtlas website, and we never received those changes until the next official, pay map upgrade. So....what again in the purpose of this "new" Mapshare feature? Because I'm not really seeing much new, especially if it works the way you describe (rather than how it is described on TomTom's own website).

Regardless, it's not working for the vast majority.

Oh, and I know it's not working because I've yet to receive ANY of the changes I made via Mapshare. I also know four other people using TomTom devices that have submitted the same (and other) changes, and I've yet to receive any of theirs and they have not received any of mine.

Man, I'm really beginning to not like my TomTom GO700 for the first time ever.

I downloaded the latest version of TomTom Home (which for some reason Home stopped notifying me when a new version was available). I was using Home v2.1.2.121 and now I have v2.2.0.33. Of course, there's no documentation for what's changed, but that's an official TomTom policy, it would seem.

I have my TomTom configured to receive all MapShare updates. In the new version of Home (or at least this is the first time I've noticed it), you can now select which POI categories you want to keep updated via MapShare. You can also select which country you want to keep updated with MapShare. Strangely, although I have the entire North American map (USA + Canada) on my GO700, I cannot choose to just update the USA maps. That whole page is simply blank for whatever reason. My TomTom connects just fine, and Home reports back that my device is up-to-date and to click the "Back" button.

I click the "Back" button to go to the main menu, and what does it now say in a little box in the upper right hand corner of the Home menu? "Your map is 19 weeks out of date. 12,549 free Mapshare map corrections waiting." So back I go to the Update my Go option. It churns around for a while, and then reports my device is up to date. I go back to the main screen, and "12,549 free Mapshare map corrections are (STILL) waiting".

Sigh...

Like I said, Mapshare does not work. Now I just get the new version of Home telling me about all the thousands of corrections that I'm just not receiving for some stupid reason.

Yet more apparently untested software released by TomTom....

Man, I'm really beginning to not like my TomTom GO700 for the first time ever.

I downloaded the latest version of TomTom Home (which for some reason Home stopped notifying me when a new version was available). I was using Home v2.1.2.121 and now I have v2.2.0.33. Of course, there's no documentation for what's changed, but that's an official TomTom policy, it would seem.

I have my TomTom configured to receive all MapShare updates. In the new version of Home (or at least this is the first time I've noticed it), you can now select which POI categories you want to keep updated via MapShare. You can also select which country you want to keep updated with MapShare. Strangely, although I have the entire North American map (USA + Canada) on my GO700, I cannot choose to just update the USA maps. That whole page is simply blank for whatever reason. My TomTom connects just fine, and Home reports back that my device is up-to-date and to click the "Back" button.

I click the "Back" button to go to the main menu, and what does it now say in a little box in the upper right hand corner of the Home menu? "Your map is 19 weeks out of date. 12,549 free Mapshare map corrections waiting." So back I go to the Update my Go option. It churns around for a while, and then reports my device is up to date. I go back to the main screen, and "12,549 free Mapshare map corrections are (STILL) waiting".

Sigh...

Like I said, Mapshare does not work. Now I just get the new version of Home telling me about all the thousands of corrections that I'm just not receiving for some stupid reason.

Yet more apparently untested software released by TomTom....

I have the same problem with Home 2.2 - says on the from page my map is 19weeks out of date, and 12,XXX corrections waiting. Sigh...

I have the same problem with Home 2.2 - says on the from page my map is 19weeks out of date, and 12,XXX corrections waiting. Sigh...

Ah, so it's just likely more bad software released from TomTom. Oh, well. I wonder if I have Home v2.1 somewhere so I can revert back. I made a test change (a repeat of something I'd already submitted), and it won't even upload it even though I have everything configured to upload my changes. I also told Home to remove all Map Share corrections from my GO, but nothing changed, and the same amount of corrections are listed as "waiting". Lame.

Ah, so it's just likely more bad software released from TomTom. Oh, well. I wonder if I have Home v2.1 somewhere so I can revert back. I made a test change (a repeat of something I'd already submitted), and it won't even upload it even though I have everything configured to upload my changes. I also told Home to remove all Map Share corrections from my GO, but nothing changed, and the same amount of corrections are listed as "waiting". Lame.

Yeah, I think it's the software. This guy reported the same problem:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7259

You need at least version 6.75 of maps to make it work, a PC (not a Mac) and have 'subscribed' to mapshare using TomTom Home's (version 2+) menu options. Done all that?

Good catch. Most of these bitchers are not setting up their own tomtoms properly. Most of the map share corrections must be verified by tomtom before it is released as an update. Use your heads people. Would you want TT to release changes that might naviagate you off of a cliff. Why don't you cry babies just go buy a Garmin and use their mapshare feature, and take advantage of their superior MAC support? OOps! They do not offer either one!!
:eek:

I am getting the same indication on Home 2.2 click here for more info

And I have gone through the process of correctly login in and registering so that my One is being updated accordingly.

I strongly feel that this is a new software bug. Hopefully an upgrade or fix will become available.. or else, revert back to the previous Home version. Home 2.1 (I believe) installation exe is located in my One LE. If I don't get to hear an improvement with this, I will uninstall the new version and take my chances with the exe inside my One LE.

Currently with Home 2.2 I don't get to choose a country under the Map Share Preferences. Shouldn't USA and Guam maps be listed there? Since those are the ones I have in my unit? Very weird. -- I think if your map doesn't show there, it may be the reason why we are getting the out of date message. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have no maps listed under the MapShare prefs either, but I am having no issues with MapShare.
Can you tell us what you think you are not having any issues with?

I just wanted to share that I could not install the older version of HOME. My One LE connects to the Internet and downloads the latest version of HOME. I am hoping someone would be kind enough to share the HOME 2.1. Thanks in advance.

I've gotten multiple map updates since I upgraded yesterday. I'm currently at 11625 updates in use - as opposed to waiting to download. So as far as I can tell, since they don't actually document what changes are being made, my TT Home is working fine.

Here is a small bug I just got when editing a POI. I edited the name of a Poi in the Car repair/garage poi category. After I was successful in editing it, I then hooked up my One Le to Home 2.2 and it did upload the modification I did, but after I disconnected my One, I can't seem to find the POI I edited! I think it wiped it out!? What happened?

Could you guys see if there is a bug?

Update
Yep, I did it again, and it wiped it out. Also, it has wiped out all other POI's I have added to the default POI categories. All that work "GONE"!! Jesus! Can we get 2.1 back. I am afraid to run an backup with this buggy program.

Last edited:
I've gotten multiple map updates since I upgraded yesterday. I'm currently at 11625 updates in use - as opposed to waiting to download. So as far as I can tell, since they don't actually document what changes are being made, my TT Home is working fine.

Maybe it's working for Canada? :confused: I'm still having problems, but I'll give it some time to see if TomTom sorts it out

Good catch. Most of these bitchers are not setting up their own tomtoms properly. Most of the map share corrections must be verified by tomtom before it is released as an update. Use your heads people. Would you want TT to release changes that might naviagate you off of a cliff. Why don't you cry babies just go buy a Garmin and use their mapshare feature, and take advantage of their superior MAC support? OOps! They do not offer either one!!
:eek:

Nice, helpful post. Yeah, I'm just a "bitcher" who doesn't know what he's doing even though I've been using some form of TomTom software since v4.

Actually, I have configured my GO700 to accept all updates including those not verified by TomTom. If I was waiting for only TomTom verified Map Share corrections, I can understand why I'm not getting any updates, because "TomTom Verified" updates don't seem to actually exist except in the form of a $70 map download made available annually (that would be called a new map version, which has nothing to do with Map Share).

As for Garmin not having a Mapshare feature....well, at the moment, it appears that TomTom doesn't have a very good one either.

Frankly, I'm tempted to just go on eBay and pick up the OEM nav unit for my Toyota, install it, and call it a day on this ever escalating fiasco.

FYI, to anyone following this thread because they're encountering the same problems as me -- TomTom support is experiencing an...ah..."increased contact load" at the moment, so there may be a delay in response to my support email. Gee, I wonder why. Could it be yet another obviously untested software release? Hmmmm?

I just went back to Home v2.1.2.121 after uninstalling v2.2.0.33 (yes, I really enjoyed doing that). However, there are still no updates and my own updates that I just created don't upload either.

There's something wrong with the TomTom Mapshare server and service. How do I know this? I don't. I'm just guessing because as usual TomTom feels the need to keep it's customers completely in the dark.

Note to self: Never upgrade TomTom software within the first week of release (you'd think I would've learned by now).

Well, it finally works (TomTom Home v2.2.0.33) -- at least everything except the Latest Map Guarantee reports a problem with the TomTom server. I can even select the country maps I want Map Share to update, so I am now (finally) considered "Your map is up-to-date with 9,777 Map Share Corrections in use."

Although I'm back to where I originally was with Home resetting my GO700 configuration. At least now it's just back to resetting my colors. Previously, it wiped out some pretty significant settings (like ownership info, taskbar perferences, Map Share preferences, Voice, Volume, etc. Thankfully, it has never deleted my favorites (which would be quite a pain), but I guess it going back to the original color scheme reset is the lesser of the two evils.

I really wish TomTom would test their stuff better prior to releasing it like this.

For those who reverted back to v2.1.2.121, you may want to give v2.2.0.33 a try again.

Ask a Question