Any problems after activating Voice Recognition?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hello,

I used the tips to activate my voice recognition on my tom tom 720. I've only had the unit 5 days so I haven't used it much at all.

I've also added some new cars, and several new voices, and thats it.

Today when driving across town and coming home I had it navigating me, and once I "reached my destination" the unit froze up, then while I was watching to see if it would unfreeze, it rebooted by itself. Once it came back on, the computer voice Susan was selected rather than the one I had picked, but everything else seems to still be there.

Is this just a random thing that happens to tomtoms? I know cell phones from time to time do crazy things, or is it something that occured because I've been modifying my tomtom?

So has anyone else had any bugs pop up since modification, or has anyone had their unit reboot without having modified anything?

I use my unit everyday and haven't had a single problem since enabling voice recognition. Even though your unit reset itself, try to reset the unit again using the reset button on the bottom. Then try to restore using TT Home 2 (providing you already did a back up). It won't affect the voice recognition so don't worry.

Last edited:
Voice Recognition for tomtom go 720

I just recently bought a go 720 but realized that the voice recognition feature is only available on the UK models!!

Is there anyway to add this functionality to my go 720?

I just recently bought a go 720 but realized that the voice recognition feature is only available on the UK models!!

Is there anyway to add this functionality to my go 720?

You need:
1. NA Maps 7.10 version
2. Firmware 7.221
3. A text file called support_asr.dat with ONLY the number 1 in it. Put the file in your ASR folder on the unit. Also, make sure, when you create the file (use notepad) that you save the file you've created as 'all files' to ensure that Windows doesn't add the extension .txt to it.

voice recognition installment

After following the recommmend procedure for installing the voice recognition dat file, how do you activate or know if the dat file is working....are there any icon indicating that you have voice recognition? thanks:)

After following the recommmend procedure for installing the voice recognition dat file, how do you activate or know if the dat file is working....are there any icon indicating that you have voice recognition? thanks:)
Yes, there is an indication of "live" ASR in your basic navigation options.

Go to "Navigate to" and then to "Address". If you see "Spoken Address" as a colored option (not just grayed out), you've got live ASR.

Talked with Ashley at customer service yesterday and she said that changing the programing to have voice recognition work would void the warranty.

Talked with Ashley at customer service yesterday and she said that changing the programing to have voice recognition work would void the warranty.

I guess Ashley should be looking for some other line of work. Ignore her.:eek:

After all, the European model of the 720 has precisely the same setup and VR is standard on that model. Essentially, all you're doing to activate the function is adding a small file into one of the folders.

Last edited:
What a load of garbage. Unusual, as their tech support is typically better than this. If there are any doubts, simply delete that file and reproduce the problem... then call them again.

Just a thought why would you call tomtom and tell them you added a special file to activate something that is not factory installed:eek: .

Are you asking them to find a way to make it quit working for everybody that has done this mod in there next firmware update so you have to pay 200.00 more to get this feature on a 920 ??????

Common guys do not call tomtom or even mention this in conversation and tell them you have altered there programing and made this feature work by inserting a simple file

Just a thought why would you call tomtom and tell them you added a special file to activate something that is not factory installed:eek: .

Are you asking them to find a way to make it quit working for everybody that has done this mod in there next firmware update so you have to pay 200.00 more to get this feature on a 920 ??????

Common guys do not call tomtom or even mention this in conversation and tell them you have altered there programing and made this feature work by inserting a simple file

Which is why when there is another firmware update, I'm not gonna be the first kid on the block to install it .... :rolleyes:

iv had problems

maybe just a coincedence but after messing with my unit to get the VR.
that is when my tomtom started to turn itself back on sometimes. iv seen a couple of post about this going on but they did not say if they changed anything to get the vr to work. a few people rutned them for another unit.

im not even sure who i would return it to. i bought it from DELL but it was about 35 days ago.

Tony

What's so special about voice recognition

Is there more to this functionality than I'm seeing? I've had this working on my 720 since I purchased it in Dec. and put in all of the requisite upgrades. I've used it to navigate to an address by announcing city, street, and house#. As far as I can tell, this is the extent of the functionality. Is there any more? IMHO, the coolness factor for VR is far less than that of transferring addresses from Googlemaps.

Ask a Question