Am I the only one who doesn't hear all 59 voice files for any of these?

I extracted the 59 files for each of the stickied voices to see if I wanted to put them on my TomTom Go, but all of them are missing a lot of phrases. Am I the only one? Bad extraction?

Thanks,
Geo

Hmm, how can you tell if you're missing phrases. I've been using the Yoda one and it seems to work fine.

59 Voices

I extracted the 59 files for each of the stickied voices to see if I wanted to put them on my TomTom Go, but all of them are missing a lot of phrases. Am I the only one? Bad extraction?

Thanks,
Geo

Hmm :rolleyes: They actually all work did you put them in the right place?
When you open you tomtom you will see a voices file they go in there....
When you downloaded the file did you put both files in? make sure you also dont have more than one with the same number.
You should have one that says data98 (thats the one that has a picture of the person and one that says data98.chk
George

How to download voices

Thanks,
Geo

Follow these easy steps:
How to install the voices

There is no magic or high-tech trickery involved in installing your newly purchased voices, but we strongly advise you to make a full backup of your SD card (Classic, 300, 500) or your Hard Drive (700) before you make any changes to the software on your TomTom GO. When your TomTom GO is connected to a computer through a USB port always wait until any action you are running (copying the files, upgrading the application, installing the maps) is complete before disconnecting or switching of the GO. Failure to do so may damage the data on the SD card or the Hard Drive.

The voice package from this site comes in a compressed (zipped) folder voice_name.zip and contains three files:

dataXX.chk - the voice file
dataXX.vif - the voice description file
dataXX.bmp - the voice picture file

where XX is the voice number, for instance data05.chk, which, incidentally, is "Jane". The standard TomTom voice files are not accompanied by the picture files. You will need to copy all three files to the directory where the voice files are kept on your TomTom GO.

Step 1. Create a directory called VOICES on your computer

Step 2. Extract the files from the downloaded compressed folder voice_name.zip to the VOICES directory

Step 3. Connect your TomTom GO to your computer via the USB port according to TomTom GO manual

Your computer should see the TomTom GO as a "Removable Disk". You can now copy the files to and from the GO. The procedure is slightly different for GO Classic and 300/500/700 series because of the different location of the voice files.

Step 4 for GO Classic

When you GO is connected to your computer you should see something similar to this:

As you can see there are two standard voices already installed on this GO: data04.chk and data05.chk. All you need to do is to copy the files from the VOICES directory which you created in Step 1 to the same directory where data04.chk and data05.chk are.

Step 4 for GO 300/500/700

When you GO is connected to your computer you should see something similar to this:

There is a directory called "voices" on your GO - that's where all the voices files are. If you open this directory you should see something similar to this:

As you can see there are plenty of voices already installed on this particular GO. All you need to do is to copy the files from the VOICES directory which you created in Step 1 on your computer to the voices directory on your TomTom GO.

Step 5. Wait till all the operations have been completed, then switch off and disconnect your TomTom GO.

Now switch the unit on again (it will go through the loading stage with two red hands), tap the screen, then tap Change preferences -> Change voice and use left and right arrows to select the newly installed voice(s).

Hmm, how can you tell if you're missing phrases. I've been using the Yoda one and it seems to work fine.

What I did was extract the 59 .ogg voice files from the main .chk file. This way I could listen to the various phrases of each voice to determine if I like them enough add these onto my TTG. I was just wondering if my extraction program didn't extract the file correctly, or if everyone else is missing phrases.

For instance, there are separate files for 50, 80, 100, 200, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800. But, none of the voices seem to say all of these, only a few. Some of the phrases were blank files. Did something go wrong when I downloaded them from here? Extraction gone bad? These are actually blank?

Just curious.

Thanks for the help,
Geo

.VIF file question, what do the numbers mean??

Follow these easy steps:
How to install the voices

There is no magic or high-tech trickery involved in installing your newly purchased voices, but we strongly advise you to make a full backup of your SD card (Classic, 300, 500) or your Hard Drive (700) before you make any changes to the software on your TomTom GO. When your TomTom GO is connected to a computer through a USB port always wait until any action you are running (copying the files, upgrading the application, installing the maps) is complete before disconnecting or switching of the GO. Failure to do so may damage the data on the SD card or the Hard Drive.

The voice package from this site comes in a compressed (zipped) folder voice_name.zip and contains three files:

dataXX.chk - the voice file
dataXX.vif - the voice description file
dataXX.bmp - the voice picture file

where XX is the voice number, for instance data05.chk, which, incidentally, is "Jane". The standard TomTom voice files are not accompanied by the picture files. You will need to copy all three files to the directory where the voice files are kept on your TomTom GO...

==

A quick question for Giorgio57:

I played around with making my voice files, converting them to ogg, and used Graeme Lucas' awesome winVIF tool to create my package. All that said, the three files are created, a .bmp, a .vif and a .chk file. (I had to rename the .vif file to dataxx.vif but other than that, it works... but

In the .vif file when comparing them to the standard files from TT, Graeme's program only put basic info on two lines. I had to adlib and change the lines in the file to :

English (US) - Canadian, Eh?
data71.chk
Canadian, Eh?

because all the output from Graeme's program put was

Canadian
data71.chk

(and that's it)...the 910 didn't label it right until I changed it to mimic the standard files.

Now, the main question I have is: What do the numbers beneath the package name indicate (the numbers below "Canadian, Eh?"...2, 0, 110, 1 ??

lbolen :eek:

I am trying to manually install as well. Trouble is when I connect my Via 1535 to Win 7, it doesn't show up as a removable disk but my TomTom home recognizes it. Initially, I downloaded a voice on my Go Live Top Gear account with the welcome credit they game me. My intent was to load it onto my BF's Via 1535TM. It would be a simple thing if TomTom allowed more than one unit to be registered to one account and be able to switch it back to another account, but they don't. I need another way around this. I have the 3 files required for Mr. Burns voice, but I am having a terrible time with what to do with them. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

You need MyTTSA, NOT Home 2. Get it here: tomtom.com/getstarted

Once installed, you should be able to connect the unit to the computer (no, these models are NOT shown as an external drive since the user has no access to the file system on them).

Anyway, you should see 'Add Community Content' as a desktop MyTT icon. It's there that you can add additional voices.

And yes, use a separate email address for each device.

The instructions that dhn gave you will work for "community" and free TomTom voices, but I suspect that if you BOUGHT the Mr Burns voice, then it my well be locked to the device assigned to the account you bought it on.
I hope I'm wrong though....

The instructions that dhn gave you will work for "community" and free TomTom voices, but I suspect that if you BOUGHT the Mr Burns voice, then it my well be locked to the device assigned to the account you bought it on.
I hope I'm wrong though....

I have the free version as well as paid. I will give it a shot this evening. Previously I had tried loading the community content with Home 2, but it was only for POIs.

Forget Home2, it's of no use at all for the new model.

Thank you everyone! I was sort of able to install the free Mr.Burns. In that it showed up on the TomTom select a voice screen, however when I try to select it, it says I did not select a useable voice. I'm guessing that my be because I am using the English US version and Mr.Burns comes up as English UK? I am going to look for another version as well as contact TomTom and see if I can somehow install the paid version from my account.

Turns out something may have been wrong with the files somewhere. I tried Glados which also showed up as English UK and that worked fine. TomTom support was able to switch the download from my account to his and everything worked out ok. Thanks again!

Ask a Question