VIA 1535 doesn't recognize external memory

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535
I have been searching this and other forums for information about my TomTom VIA 1535's card slot. If there is a relevant post, please update this thread with a link.

I have a SanDisk 32GB and a SanDisk 16GB SDHC Micro SD memory card. Both are formatted in FAT32. My TomTom will not recognize either. After talking to their tech support, one rep sends me a link stating that I should be good up to 32GB. The one I called today says some will take no more than 4GB, and other units will take up to 32GB. The one today says there's no way to know which is which.:confused:

Other than having to step back to a 4 gig card, is there a solution to using a larger capacity card? The chick today said there is no way to update software to fix this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Numbers

I've never heard of a Via 1535 that was constrained to a 4GB uSD card. I have a 16GB stuffed into mine at the moment with both North America and Europe on it.

Upon insertion of a freshly formatted card, the TomTom should attempt to format it again in its own special fashion. When you insert the card, what does the TomTom say about it? Anything?

Thanks, canderson, for the update. My unit isn't even recognizing that I put anything in the slot. I know that it's inserted correctly, in the right direction, until it clicks. Even when I want to download a map onto it, MyTomTom doesn't see it through the interface.

The weird thing is that the girl on tech support hacked me off where she said some untis just won't recognize the larger cards. I'm not sure that she knows what she's talking about.

She may be right, but it's certainly news to me. Any chance you have a 4GB card laying around from a camera or similar device that you'd be willing to erase long enough to try?

She's not right ...... it can take a 32 gb sdhc card in that model, I'm pretty sure.

But, with the card in the unit, do a drum reset (hold the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. What should happen is that, upon the reboot, the unit 'sees' the card and offers to format. You must say 'yes'.

YES!!! This worked! Thank you for the help. It's formatting now as we speak!

Time to add this to the list for noob users like me.

Numbers

Ah, good to have dhn back to keep us all honest.

THANKS for the hold the button till the drum beet I also found that if it is plugged into the website or a computer that mine wouldnt work.
I also Used a 64gb memory card and it took it just fine it did take a while to format no problem .
Thanks for all your help yall save me THANKS

Ask a Question