Addresses input is a mess

Hey,
recently bought a XXL550 gps for my car.
Im pleased with the screen sensitivity and its overall operating speed

however, since Ive been using it, not once did the address selection feature worked properly.
Each and everytime I get to enter the actual address, the gps tells me the place doesn't exists and proposes the closest address available, which is often a few miles away from where im going.
But if instead I go with on-map destination selection, then the address does exist and the gps recognize it.
That feature is not easy to use since the map pan is slow and the zoom is awkward.

I find it unacceptable that I have to use workarounds to find an existing address and use it. even when setting my home location I had to go through the map selection.

The GPS and maps are up to date.

something I missing?

edit: I live in Montreal, Qc, Canada. (not in an unheardof place)

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF.

Do you mean a 540 XL model? We don't have a 550 model in Canada.

Your map is 850?

Hey!

no, Im talking about the XXL 550
bought it at a bestbuy in montreal

TomTom 5" GPS (XXL 550)
Model #: XXL 550 Web Code: 10145148

and the map is 850 (or so I remember)

came with US Canada and Mexico maps.

Well, I'll be darned..........that model is not listed on TomTom's own web site for Canada Must be a special deal with BestBuy to get it first.

In any event, give me an example of a street and address you are trying to navigate to
City?
Street?
Number?

and I'll try to check later on my unit with an 850 map.

allright

try 4600 Cote-Vertu boulevard, Montreal

closest it finds is 4599 (which im not sure even exists)
Granted 4599 isnt far off, but thats the first example that comes to my mind (my unit is at home)

the gps is a thousand numbers away from my home address

Let me ask....

Does Cote-vertu also appear in a suburb of Montreal, by any chance?

In other words, if you picked the suburb as the city, would cote-vertu appear as a street there and, if so, would 4599 be found?

(Like Saint-Laurent?)

humm. never tried that.
always typed:

Step 1: Canada, 2: Montreal, 3: Cote-Vertu, 4: 4600, ---Sorry no corresponding address found

Will try using Saint-Laurent as the city.

In the mean time, could you try:
7446 St-Denis, Montreal, Qc, Canada?

closest it finds is 8135 i think.
And theres no other possible city than Montreal. Its right in the middle of it.

Found the first address in Saint -Laurent.

Agree that it did not find the second address you provided.

quick update

My results were on the opposite of yours

Using either Montreal or St-Laurent as the city did not help finding 4600 Cote-Vertu. Both had 4599 as the closest (good enough I guess)

But, for St-Denis, I used Saint-Denis instead and was able to find 7446 on first try.
I find it odd that both St-Denis, Montreal AND Saint-Denis, Montreal are in the GPS registry but only one the of the 2 (ie Saint-Denis) has all the addresses available.

Since you were at the ordinateur anyway while asking your question, I would suggest to hack the addresses into Google Maps first.
Either of your addresses are located correctly on the map and the proper address is given in the left margin.

Of course, that doesn't help while on the road but it gives you an idea to try alternatives.
Others have said that Garmin allows a street address and the device than gives options for the municipality.
Maybe if we all write to TomTom that we want, rather than would like that feature it just may happen one day in our life times. ;->)

Ask a Question