(USA) Locating service road addresses

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by Hyper, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Hyper

Hyper

TomTom Model(s):
    4FE00 Start model
    Hello.

I believe I found a thread regarding this from a few years ago, but it didn't provide much of an answer.
    The person making the thread used example names (nothing concrete or real) from the UK.

I am in the USA. We have roads that are parallel to the freeway/highway/interstate highway (IH)...
    We call these (for no particular reason): Access roads, service roads, frontage roads, and a few other names.

To further explain my specific problem, you can reference this Wikipedia page (see: "Michigan" reference).
    My question/problem is: How do I enter the exact address of a building! Located directly on a frontage road?
    The exact address I would like to enter (due to how common it is): 8800 N Interstate Highway 35 Austin, TX 78753

In shorter words: 8800 is the house address. It is located on IH-35 "north" (north bound?) frontage road...
    To add to the confusion: Even though the road is tagged as "NORTH IH-35": It is actually a road traveling south!

That particular address (shown here on Google maps) is a huge apartment complex.
    I know where THAT apartment complex is. That's not my issue (preemptively saying this to prevent a silly argument).

Again: How would I enter that particular address into my TomTom?
    If you start to type, "8800": Nothing shows up for a street. If you type "N" or "North" then five "north ih-35" addresses pop up.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hyper, Apr 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Hyper

tgold

Miami Beach FL, New York NY and London UK
    TomTom Model(s):
    Android apps.
    The frontage street addresses are stated as addresses actually on the Interstate. North I 35 means the part of I35 North of the Colorado river. The frontages on both sides, i.e. going both North and South, are called North I 35 in that area.

tgold, Apr 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Hyper

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    Sometimes a town name is everything with these silly maps. Here's what you are aiming for according to TomTom's route planner:

8800 N Interstate 35, Georgian Acres, USA

That should get you where you meant to be.

canderson, Apr 19, 2014
  4. Hyper

tgold

Miami Beach FL, New York NY and London UK
    TomTom Model(s):
    Android apps.
    Simply using Austin work fine in TomTom.

tgold, Apr 20, 2014
  5. Hyper

Arno Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    930; GO 620; Start 63
    If it is critical, locate the place with Google maps ,right click on in and click "What's here?"
    Enter the resulting coordinates into your TomTom and call it what you want.

Arno, Apr 20, 2014
  6. Hyper

Hyper

TomTom Model(s):
    4FE00 Start model
    Nope. That is actually not what I was wanting. It is located in Austin, TX. Thank you though.

Critical? Yes. Job related? Definitely. Using "Google maps?" Not feasible.

That was actually the best post with the closest hint to an answer. After brute forcing it (cycling through: IH-35, NB IH-35, NORTH IH-35, and North Interstate 35): I found out how to get what I was wanting.

If you type "No" it'll auto-complete with "North Interstate 35," and THAT!! Can have house addresses with it (or a cross road like Powell road or Texas Department of Public Safety road).

Hyper, Apr 20, 2014
  7. Hyper

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    That little patch of turf I was describing is actually a business park? on the north end of Austin, adjacent to some subdivision called "Georgian Acres". Why TomTom chooses to show it separately, I don't know. Is your desired location at approximately these coordinates? >> 30.35224, -97.69221

canderson, Apr 20, 2014
  8. Hyper

Hyper

TomTom Model(s):
    4FE00 Start model
    I'm not sure what the approximate coordinates are but: I can use the GPS for work now.

It isn't ever on the dot (which sucks), but it's usually within 50 feet (which is acceptable, as long as I know a title or cross street).

Hyper, Apr 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question