A TT Home tweak I'd like to see....

Don't know how many of you are having this problem, but I've spent over a week trying to get the updated USA/Canada map downloaded from the TT website. The problem is that a server (mine? theirs?) keeps timing out and I have to start from scratch. Don't think it's on my end as I'm running a DSL line with a hard-wired router to my computer. I think it would be great if the next version of TT Home had a 'resume' feature on any downloads you are working on.

Would love to hear some ideas on how to solve this from the forum.

Last edited:
Don't know how many of you are having this problem, but I've spent over a week trying to get the updated USA/Canada map downloaded from the TT website. The problem is that a server (mine? theirs?) keeps timing out and I have to start from scratch. Don't think it's on my end as I'm running a DSL line with a hard-wired router to my computer. I think it would be great if the next version of TT Home had a 'resume' feature on any downloads you are working on.

Would love to hear some ideas on how to solve this from the forum.

I would think that, if not 100%, then pretty darn near, server problems are always at TT's end, not the user's.

I **know** there do exist freeware applications that, when installed, allow for the user to resume downloads for files interrupted. I do NOT remember any of the names. :(

I do know something else .... Google is your friend. Typing in this: "freeware for resuming downloads" gets 215,000 hits. Suspect you can find a utility before getting to the last page :D :D

Your're right, that would be nice. It's a real bummer to be downloading a several gb file and have it hiccup at 90% complete. There are several websites that I DL from that have that function and it is nice.

There are several download managers available but I don't know if they will work with the TomTom servers. Let us know if you try one.

Resume function

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm already running a download manager that has resume support. The problem is that none of the download managers integrate with TT Home. Back to square one, like I said, I hope this is a function they look at including in future releases.

If you login to your MyTomTom account on the TomTom website and goto MyMaps on the right under My PLUS Services I think you can "manually" download purchased maps from there. Havn't tried it myself but I think thats how it works.
I use the getright download manager which works well when setup correctly.

Nice try, no cigar

I had a look at that page, the only thing you can download from there is the instruction how to install your map. Looks like they've got the secruity thing worked out on this one.

over & out.

This might have something to do with your routers connection to your ISP.

What is your MTU setting currently?

Resume download

We have this all the time in europe
After many hreads on forums it seems the best time to download a new map etc is in the middle of the night, when the tt server is not at its worst.
Try that and see if you have any luck

Steve

I went through this problem for about 3 days & several phone calls this past week, trying to update My North_America map from v7.05 to v7.15.

The problem is definantely the server on their end, as they admitted to me they were having alot of problems lately and that only 50% of the customers were getting the complete downloads without the server timing-out.

Mine was timing out with about 1 % left to complete download.:mad:

They said to keep trying and ensured me they were working on it and the problem would be fixed this upcoming week.:confused:

I kept trying eventually got it......

Good Luck

Ask a Question