920T Through the Radio

TomTom Model(s)
2535 TM
I never really used this function much, but recently when I tried to have the directions instructions played through the FM stereo in my car I notice that the option was no longer available on my TT (via the "Speaker Preferences" menu). I can select that option if I want to play MUSIC through my FM via the TT, but not directions.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,

Jeff

----------------

Sorry for the post, I should have done a more thorough search of the site. It appears that TT has disabled the functionality thanks to a European law.

Last edited:
Here is my exchange with customer service on the issue:

Me:

I recently installed the Navcore update to 8.3 and I noticed that I no longer have the option to play instructions through the FM transmitter. The option is no longer even in the menu. Can you please tell me how I enable this feature as it was a main reason why I purchased the unit.

TT:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Unfortunately we had no option but to remove this function to comply with UK Legislation specifically relating to "FM transmitters are not allowed to occupy an FM frequency if nothing is being transmitted" therefore this was deemed that spoken instructions are not consistent transmissions.

It was not a choice TomTom could make as we are legally bound to comply.

With Best Regards
Ben

Me:

Thank you for your quick response. Your solution might be all well and good for UK users but why did you decide to disable a highly utilized feature for ALL OTHER COUNTRIES using your products where this law DOES NOT apply? Do you have any plans to have two different versions of the Navcore: one for the UK with the option disabled and another for every other country which this law doesn't apply with the feature enabled? It shouldn't be that difficult and I don't see why you would cripple units which do not have to follow this law.

TT:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

It may well be something we are looking into and I will pass this feedback to the team responsible for making the change, this is something we had to act on immediately however it may be that we eventually look into being able to develop a feature which can control this function per Country

With Best Regards
Ben
8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units - Page 14 - TomTomForums.com - TomTom & GPS Navigation Community

Thanks. I'm not going to hold my breath, but based on some of the other posts I've seen, there are several easy-sounding solutions to the problem that hopefully TT will explore.

Unfortunately we had no option but to remove this function to comply with UK Legislation specifically relating to "FM transmitters are not allowed to occupy an FM frequency if nothing is being transmitted" therefore this was deemed that spoken instructions are not consistent transmissions.

It seems to me that TT could have handled this a bit differently (but I understand that they had a short time to react).

Anyway, the device could offer the options (for FM):

Off
Music only
Music and Driving Instructions

Regardless, a person could always record an MP3 of silence and get around it... so, can they really hold TT responsible for how people use their device?

I really thought the legal issue was having spoken driving instructions transmitted over FM, period. I can imagine someone driving along with their radio tuned to the same channel as the TT in the car next to them... then all of a sudden, they hear "Ahead, turn right..." (would be pretty creepy if you weren't expecting it)

Another option for you to consider is the Bluetooth audio output, up until recently this required the use of a costly new stereo for the car that not only supported the Bluetooth A2DP profile but you had to make sure it would work with the TomTom (not all do). The Bluetooth audio output doesn't suffer from interference from adjacent radio stations and you don't have to re-tune the output as you travel around the country.

A relatively new accessory is the iO-Play module which plugs in between the existing stereo and the cars wiring, it will only connect to ISO style plugs but this adds Bluetooth capability to an existing car stereo, it can aslo act as a very capable hands free kit for your phone independent of the TomTom. It can handle two connections simultaniously (TomTom and Phone) it is also possible to listen to the radio/ CD and still get the nav instructions through the car speakers, and the phones hands free is also routed via the car speakers.

See Here for details, the device can be found on the internet far cheaper than shown on that page. Here is the device fitted in my Ovlov:

You can read more details about this by clicking Here - Mike

Another option for you to consider is the Bluetooth audio output, up until recently this required the use of a costly new stereo for the car that not only supported the Bluetooth A2DP profile but you had to make sure it would work with the TomTom (not all do). The Bluetooth audio output doesn't suffer from interference from adjacent radio stations and you don't have to re-tune the output as you travel around the country.

A relatively new accessory is the iO-Play module which plugs in between the existing stereo and the cars wiring, it will only connect to ISO style plugs but this adds Bluetooth capability to an existing car stereo, it can aslo act as a very capable hands free kit for your phone independent of the TomTom. It can handle two connections simultaniously (TomTom and Phone) it is also possible to listen to the radio/ CD and still get the nav instructions through the car speakers, and the phones hands free is also routed via the car speakers.

See Here for details, the device can be found on the internet far cheaper than shown on that page. Here is the device fitted in my Ovlov:

You can read more details about this by clicking Here - Mike

That seems to be UK only?Anything with similar functionality for the North American market?

Ask a Question