920T no power

Hi
I have a 920T. The fault occurred yesterday. Lost power to screen. Charge light still shows. Tried to charge for 2 hours on mains battery charger, still no go. Tom Tom Australia no help as I have to send it 3000km to Australia. Can a dead battery cause this problem or is it something worse.

John
New Zealand

Hi
I have a 920T. The fault occurred yesterday. Lost power to screen. Charge light still shows. Tried to charge for 2 hours on mains battery charger, still no go. Tom Tom Australia no help as I have to send it 3000km to Australia. Can a dead battery cause this problem or is it something worse.

John
New Zealand
No fun when you are "flying blind".

Before anything, try a reset of the unit by gently inserting a paperclip into the small reset hole in the bottom and try powering up again.

Are you sure it's just the screen? Just for grins, connect to your computer, power up the unit, and after a few moments, press in the lower right corner of the screen where "YES" would be indicated for "Do you want to connect to 'Computer'?" if you could actually see it. Does it connect to your computer?

If your unit connects to your computer successfully, then we know it's just some kind of screen issue (bad). If it doesn't connect, it could well be a battery issue based upon the age of your unit, and batteries can be replaced. Of course, it could be that both the touch and display are bad.

Same dead display problem

I have a GO920 that is about 2 years old. It had been used infrequently - once every 2-3 months. Recently the display became very faint and was flickering - then fade to black. The unit can be operated when connected to TomTom Home thru the computer. So, it's apparently a dead display/touchscreen. Not very reassuring about TomTom quality. Apparently not many shops repair GPS units and the cost of repair may not be economical either. This could be one of the worst expenditures on an electronic device that I have ever made. The amount of use that I got out of this unit was equivalent to a month or two of activity by a frequent user.

Ask a Question