920T Have I killed it?

Hi Guys

Just my first post here so please forgive the troubleshooting...

I have been getting sent in circles with Tomtom support regarding an error on my 920T.

Last week I downloaded the latest Western Europe map and the 920T refused it i.e. I got the "You Cannot Use This Map on this device: Western_and _Central_Europe-132" message. I use a Mac so I thought it would be a simple fix....or so I thought.

So I sent a support request off to TT and low and behold they told me to backup, reinstall, format, reset etc. etc.

You get the picture no doubt.

Now I have TT which will not even start, even after all of the TT support replies...takes ages BTW for them to reply via mail...I'm now left with this...

YouTube - For TomTom

So today I decided to have a look at the TT on a windows XP machine.

Low and behold I could see 2 partitions one of 200Mb and the other (not accessible) of 3.9GB.

So I thought aaahaa!! Would it be a simple case of deleted the partitions and reformatting as one? Not on the XP machine as it wouldn't allow any access to the 3.9Gb partition.

Back on the Mac I could access it and duly erased it into one 3.9Gb drive....which was recognised by HOME and it updated with version 7.xxx of the application. I know the latest is 8.351 but that's what home showed.

It updated fine but it still gives the red X on the SD card when switched on.

Does anybody have any idea where I'm or TT is going wrong?

Have you got a memory card (SD card) fitted in the unit? if so please remove it and try to boot the device and see what it does - Mike

I have the same problem

I was just driving roundthe M25 when i noticed the device had rebooted itself and then started with the SD card with red X coming out the bottom.
I took it home and formatted it, then tried to reinstall tomtom home2, but it has a problem installing maps and voices so the damned thing is useless atthe moment..

does anyone have a clue as to the cause and fix...
don't wanna contact Tom Tom as this is the second 920t i've had since the first one took on a mind of its own, and spent the next 8, yes 8 weeks of tom tom support before they send a new(my current) one....

Did you make a backup of your unit's contents (hopefully using Explorer) before all this happened?

And what kind of problems are you having with Home and the installation of maps/voices??

Back on the Mac I could access it and duly erased it into one 3.9Gb drive....which was recognised by HOME and it updated with version 7.xxx of the application. I know the latest is 8.351 but that's what home showed.

It updated fine but it still gives the red X on the SD card when switched on.

Does anybody have any idea where I'm or TT is going wrong?

HOME will install apps in a series - app 7, and then a few more apps, and then finally 8.351. Go to "Update my GO in HOME" and take whatever app it offers. Then, restart the Tomtom when prompted until it downloads app 8.351.

Sometimes, with a 920, you have to do a pin reset, then turn on the Tomtom, then reconnect to the computer, before it offers the latest app.

Hopefully you have a map backup on your computer, as HOME will not reinstall maps for free.

I took it home and formatted it, then tried to reinstall tomtom home2, but it has a problem installing maps and voices so the damned thing is useless atthe moment..

does anyone have a clue as to the cause and fix...

Try the steps above, too. You have to be on app 8.300 or newer before HOME will offer you any maps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question