920T Battery no holding

For a few months, I have noticed that if my 920T Tom Tom is not on the home charging stand or in the car plugged in it shuts off quickly. This has gotten worse until now if I stop for gas, it's off once I get back in the car as my DC plug shuts off with the engine.

i called Tom Tom awhile back and was abruptly told it was not possible to change the battery and nothing else they could do. I cannot believe that an expensive device otherwise working fine would be a brick due to this.

Is there any fix or repair available?

Nancy:confused:

The same thing happened to my mother's GO 720. It lasts maybe 1 min or so on battery these days and my GO 920 only gets about 5 mins without external power. One of the main drawbacks for TomTom vs Garmin IMO. I like my TT but the battery life SUCKS!

Well I just changed my battery last week & the exchange went very well. Battery was reasonable @ $20.00 & the install was very simple. Kit came with tools to do the job. The old battery was glued in place & I had to heat up with a hair dryer but then it came out real easy. Now I can use it without being plugged in.
Thanks to this site I was able to replace & keep my TomTom. I happen to like this one very much but would consider a larger screen. My wife has a Garmin & I feel the TomTom is much much better in all ways. Although my new truck has a dash GPS in it already, I do like the TomTom better.

Good to hear you are up and running again. Many of us prefer our 'vintage' TomTom units to many of the newer offerings, especially in-dash units.

The old TomTom 920TT I had has the same problem too, but with the new unit(740 Live), even after almost 2 years of using it, the battery is still good so I believe TT solved the battery problem.

Ask a Question