920t battery life sucks.........

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 2535 M
I just switched from the 910 to the 920 and I might be going back. 2 days in a row I have gotten 2 hours of use before the 920 shut off. What kind of battery life are you guys getting? what are your settings? does the traffic rciever eat up alot of battery?

what kind of battery life are you guys getting? how are you charging your 920, and for how long? I just took mine back to BB and exchanged it since I only had it 2 days, so I left it on until the unit turned itself off and I am charging it via the usb cradle as I type this. I called tomtom today and they said that you shouldnt leave it docked for more then 2-4 hours as it will screw up battery charge capacity. I thought this was wierd since I leave my go 910 on the charger all the time, and have never had less then 4 hours of battery usage! This wouldntbe a huge deal except that the windshield mount doesnt have a port to plug in the charger and I hate having to unplug it everytime I get out of the car!!

I don't think I've ever run mine anymore than an hour or so on batteries but have never seen it shut down. I leave it plugged into the car charger most of the time, although there's an issue with that. It totally wipes out my AM radio reception when plugged in, so when I want to listen to Bloomberg or another AM station, I unplug it.

You might try turning down the screen brightness if you want longer battery run time.

yeah my 920 does drain battery faster than my 910.
I also recommend lowering the brightness on the unit.
If you aren't using the bluetooth, disable it.

It has a smaller battery (something like 1340 mAh compared to 2200) and bluetooth is usually turned on to get the remote to work, so I guess I'm not surprised. Switching from a 20 GB hard drive to a 4 GB flash doesn't save a huge amount of power either, not that was the primary intent (i.e. trim the size).

Must admit the battery life is poor. The advertising says upto 5 hours, but mine died after 100 minutes, was not impressed. Guess its time to make up some cables.
:(

... I called tomtom today and they said that you shouldnt leave it docked for more then 2-4 hours as it will screw up battery charge capacity. ...

I find this really odd for TomTom to be saying. The batter is Lithium Polymer and does not have a "memory" problem, so leaving it docked for hours, or just minutes at a time shouldn't be a problem. The real problem is the smaller battery capacity (unconfirmed) combined with this type of batteries quick discharge rate as compared to other types, including Lith-ion.

Every reviewer/forum poster I found on google reported getting about 2 hours of use. I'm also getting about the same ~90 min to 2hrs.

Read more about Lithium Polymer batteries

It has a smaller battery (something like 1340 mAh compared to 2200) and bluetooth is usually turned on to get the remote to work, so I guess I'm not surprised. Switching from a 20 GB hard drive to a 4 GB flash doesn't save a huge amount of power either, not that was the primary intent (i.e. trim the size).

Actually, if it's the same as the 520, the battery is a Sony 1320mAh lithium-ion unit.

See for yourself at :
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=800735&native_or_pdf=pdf

I called tomtom today and they said that you shouldnt leave it docked for more then 2-4 hours as it will screw up battery charge capacity. I thought this was wierd since I leave my go 910 on the charger all the time, and have never had less then 4 hours of battery usage!

Quoted KOTULCN, but this is to the general readership......If 2-4 hours is the max according to TomTom, what about when you are doing an extended drive? I sometimes drive 6 hours straight without stopping. Does the usage of the unit (while it's plugged into the cigarette lighter) negate the 2-4 hour rule? Do they expect us to occasionally unplug the unit during a trip to let the battery discharge?

Ask a Question