Touch Screen Dead on 920T after Battery Replacement

TomTom Model(s)
920T
Well, I went through the tutorial on battery replacement at 720/730 920/930 Battery Replacement Tutorial and seemingly succeeded when I turned it on again. And then I touched the screen. Nothing. It doesn't recognize me anymore. (I will presume I am not dead, as I look nothing like Bruce Willis and Hayley Joel Osment is not in the room seeing dead people.)

So, apart from the obvious answer (you screwed up dude, take it apart again and be more careful this time, yeah, I know, I know...), any suggestions on likely places in the reassembly where I did such screw up? My suspicion is the flex cable didn't get put in too well, since it was kind of a pain to get reseated, although the fact that the display LOOKS perfectly normal (until it gets to the 'agree' push button I need to press to get it going again) might suggest the flex is not the problem.

Ideas?

My suspicion is the flex cable didn't get put in too well, since it was kind of a pain to get reseated, although the fact that the display LOOKS perfectly normal (until it gets to the 'agree' push button I need to press to get it going again) might suggest the flex is not the problem.

Ideas?
Understand that there are separate traces on the flex cable for display and touch screen, so it can look fine until you try to push a "button". What this implies is that you have it almost right now, but that you should probably try reseating it again as it is likely that one or more of the traces on the flex aren't quite mating up securely. You can always fire it up and see how it works before you button it back up and install the screws.

Exercise due caution when fiddling with the locking clamp. I've noted that a few folks have broken them.

Reseating...

Thanks -- I shall do that -- I wasn't even totally sure that the touch signal came through that same cable, although it doesn't seem to have any other possible path.

BTW: One thing I did realize when putting it together -- It's easier if you do not put in that little two-wire clip off to the side of the flex connector until AFTER you've done the flex and clamped it down (even though read literally your instructions would have you do the two-wire thing first (going in reverse order of the disassembly). That gave me that little extra bit of maneuvering room to make the flex cable a bit easier to work on.

Thanks for the quick reply. Back to the bench.

mff

Hi,

i have the same problem with a GO 920T
do you having found a solution ?

The solution is software (hard reset, calibration touch screen, etc.) or hardware (replace touch)?

Any suggestion will be welcome

Best regards

Sorry for my english...:eek:

I replaced the battery and unfortunately, i disconnected the display/touch screen.

after a few hours, i reconnected the display and the touch does not work. In any part of the screen.

I did a hard reset and at reboot the TomTom freeze and this is result:

image upload

only after a soft reset (simply push a bottom) TomTom boot correctly and the touch does not work.

I hope I made myself clear...:rolleyes:

The screen you provided is the Diagnostic screen that is obtained on any TT unit by continuing to hold the power button beyonfd the normal 10 seconds or so till the unit reboots. Continuing to hold the button for a further 10 seconds or so brings up that screen.

You could try this............

Connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect the unit to Home and accept and install the application offered.

Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. See if that helps.

Unfortunately i've not solved the problem.

I will try reconnet the flat cable.

Thanks.

I tried to disconnect and reconnect the flat cable but does not solve the fault.
after purchasing it, i replaced touchscreen+display but the touchscreen still does not work.
Why?
Let me know how it might be resolved.
I would appreciate your help

The only way to get the info screen when switching the device on is to hold the power button down, as your unit is displaying this screen it would appear your On/ Off button is stuck in the on position, I would make sure you have the button and switch correctly lined up correctly and free to operate - Mike

Faulty motherboard!

The old and new touch+display works great on another TomTom Go.

Imho, the bluetooh is faulty: on another TT (works great), the Diagnostic screen is clear without red frame around "Bluetooth calibration"(probably fault message?).

Thank you for your interest.

Ask a Question