920 and SD card

forget it, i totally didnt realize i needed to format it first. it is all working now.

btw, i am new here. i have only been here a few times but have already found a lot of useful info. thank you everyone!

Have you format as Fat or Fat32 ?

SD/SDHC card in GO920

This thread has been a wealth of information.
I just purchased a GO920 and before reading up on the newer SD cards purchased a few 4GB cards for storage. I couldn't get the TT to "see" what I put on the card but I could see the data on the PC in explorer. I failed to understand that you have to follow the folder naming scheme that TT uses for its internal memory if your adding stuff to the external SD card, ie. name a folder mp3 and copy all your mp3s there. It took me some experimenting before I figured it out but now all is fine. I have GB's of my favorite songs on extra memory and all thanks to this forum. :)
I also found that you can use TThome to make your TT backup on the same SD card in the TT by changing the folder used in TTHOME to the spare SD card if desired for any reason. (one can never have to many backups when firmware is buggy like theirs seems to be)
Thanks again folks for the forum and all the help it provides to us TT newbies.:D

I also found that you can use TThome to make your TT backup on the same SD card in the TT by changing the folder used in TTHOME to the spare SD card if desired for any reason. (one can never have to many backups when firmware is buggy like theirs seems to be)
Thanks again folks for the forum and all the help it provides to us TT newbies.:D

Just be aware that TThome does not always backup absolutely everything. So, sometimes it is best to use Windows Explorer after making sure that all file extensions are shown and all hidden/system/readonly files are also showing. You can probably still backup to an SD card using explorer.

Just be aware that TThome does not always backup absolutely everything. So, sometimes it is best to use Windows Explorer after making sure that all file extensions are shown and all hidden/system/readonly files are also showing. You can probably still backup to an SD card using explorer.

Thanks for that little tidbit of information. It probably will save me hrs of headache in the future since I like to "tinker" with stuff and this GO920 will be no exception until I get it setup the way I like it (I've had it less than a week)
I am quite impressed with the way technology has come along compared to the old days of dealing with $GPGGA an $GPRMC NMEA strings and command line interfaces in DOS.

Thanks for that little tidbit of information. It probably will save me hrs of headache in the future since I like to "tinker" with stuff and this GO920 will be no exception until I get it setup the way I like it (I've had it less than a week)
I am quite impressed with the way technology has come along compared to the old days of dealing with $GPGGA an $GPRMC NMEA strings and command line interfaces in DOS.

The TT does allow quite a bit of tweaking including adding screens, changing cursors, etc. I've added a number of 3rd party apps including a video viewer.

And, yes, I had the very early garmin 'map' software on my computer for my Garmin 45 (I think????).

SD Card and western & Central Europe map

I have coped my Western & Central map on my SD card and deleated it from my internal memory. (freeing up about 1785 MB on internal memory )

TT home recognizes the map on the SD card but when I ask my 920 to switch maps it doesn't seem to find the European map on the SD card.

I realize I can't have both NA map & Europe V-7.15 maps on internal memory at same time as they are to large but I thought my 920 should see both maps as options.

Did I deleate a file from internal memory that is required to find info in SD card or is there something else wrong ???

PS I have the newest applacation on my internal memory (7.80 ) downloaded on friday March 28th.:confused: :confused:

I have coped my Western & Central map on my SD card and deleated it from my internal memory. (freeing up about 1785 MB on internal memory )

TT home recognizes the map on the SD card but when I ask my 920 to switch maps it doesn't seem to find the European map on the SD card.

I realize I can't have both NA map & Europe V-7.15 maps on internal memory at same time as they are to large but I thought my 920 should see both maps as options.

Did I deleate a file from internal memory that is required to find info in SD card or is there something else wrong ???

PS I have the newest applacation on my internal memory (7.80 ) downloaded on friday March 28th.:confused: :confused:

Maybe you need to reset. No reason it should not work if you copied all the files, that is, the entire Europe folder.

Garcor,

I did a little experiment for you to verify if I could see a map on the SD card. I'm using a 4GB Kingston SD/SDHC card for the test. (all I have right now)
The GO920 is in the cradle and connected to the computer and TThome is active also. I can see both drives, ie. 920 internal and SD card in explorer.
I used windows explorer to 'drag' my Southeastern US map (ver. 715) folder from the GO920 internal drive to the SDcard drive verifying that ALL files had been copied (explorer option set to view hidden and system files ON).
I then used TThome to copy the map file to my computer just to be safe knowing I had a backup of it verifying that it showed up in TThome under something that I owned and could be restored from the computer to the 920 before I removed it from the 920 internal memory.
Then I used the TThome "remove from GO" to remove the map from the main internal memory. TThome left the folder showing where it had been with an empty main folder and a empty sub folder called brand and a file called school.inf. I deleted these files with explorer so that no trace of the Southeastern map was in internal memory and only on the SD card.
Disconnect/turn off the 920 and restart normally and did not connect to the computer.
When I went to map management my Southeastern US map showed on the SD card and I was able to switch to it and use it with no problems..
Like "infama" says, be sure ALL the files are in the proper folder name on the SD card and it should see the map after a power cycling. ;)

Garcor,

I did a little experiment for you to verify if I could see a map on the SD card. I'm using a 4GB Kingston SD/SDHC card for the test. (all I have right now)
The GO920 is in the cradle and connected to the computer and TThome is active also. I can see both drives, ie. 920 internal and SD card in explorer.
I used windows explorer to 'drag' my Southeastern US map (ver. 715) folder from the GO920 internal drive to the SDcard drive verifying that ALL files had been copied (explorer option set to view hidden and system files ON).
I then used TThome to copy the map file to my computer just to be safe knowing I had a backup of it verifying that it showed up in TThome under something that I owned and could be restored from the computer to the 920 before I removed it from the 920 internal memory.
Then I used the TThome "remove from GO" to remove the map from the main internal memory. TThome left the folder showing where it had been with an empty main folder and a empty sub folder called brand and a file called school.inf. I deleted these files with explorer so that no trace of the Southeastern map was in internal memory and only on the SD card.
Disconnect/turn off the 920 and restart normally and did not connect to the computer.
When I went to map management my Southeastern US map showed on the SD card and I was able to switch to it and use it with no problems..
Like "infama" says, be sure ALL the files are in the proper folder name on the SD card and it should see the map after a power cycling. ;)

After PM you the other day I was talking to TT Tech 3rd leva up and he walked me through the whole thing. He first had me drag the NA map out of the units internal memory to my desktop then deleted it out of my internal memory he then gave me a copy of the European map to down load and as I had some how damaged my old copy. so I downloaded and installed it in my unit. ( at this time my SanDisk 4GB HC was out of my unit )

He had me format my card and then copy the entire contents from my internal memory to my Sd card then I deleated the europe mape from internal memory and draged my NA map back from my desktop to my internal memory thus leaving me with european map and program on my sd card and NA map on my internal memory.

This worked well other than in windows explorer it showed both sd card and unit as intermal memory. At the time I still had older verson of frame where.

After updating to newest verson of fraimwhere out today April/1/08 all is showing as it should both in the unit and in windows explorer showing
internal and storage sd card. All is well keep fingers crosed

:) :) :) :)

Garcor,

After PM you the other day I was talking to TT Tech 3rd leavel up and he walked me through the whole thing.

He first had me drag the NA map out of the units internal memory to my desktop then deleted it out of my internal memory he then gave me a copy of the European map to down load as I had some how damaged my old copy. so I down loaded and installed it in my unit. ( at this time my SanDisk 4GB HC was out of my unit )

He had me format my card and then copy the entire internal memory of the unit to my Sd card.
Then I deleated the European mape from internal memory and draged my NA map back from my desktop to my internal memory thus leaving me with european map and program on my sd card and NA map on my internal memory.

This worked well other than in windows explorer it showed both sd card and unit as intermal memory. At the time I still was using older verson of frame where.

After updating to newest verson of fraim where just out today April 01/08 on both internal memory and the SD card all is showing as it should both in the unit and in windows explorer showing internal and storage sd card. All is well keeping fingers crossed

:) :) :) :)

forget it, i totally didnt realize i needed to format it first. it is all working now.

btw, i am new here. i have only been here a few times but have already found a lot of useful info. thank you everyone!

Hello, I just got a TT920 and started reading some of the threads so that I could start using an 4GB SDHC card. In the procedure I saw it said to:
1) Load SD card into TT.
2) Using Window XP format the SD card
Can you tell me how to specifically what steps I need to take to do this?
Also, I am going to Holland next month and want to be able to add movies to this unit to watch on the plane ride over. Any information you have on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

How to Add Movies to TT920

One movie becomes app 500MB after Mobilnova conversion, so I can put app. 30 of them on my 16GB card.

Chip

Hello,

Thanks for the great information. I am new to all this and am trying to add movies to the TT920 I just bought so that I can watch them on the long plane ride to Holland next month. Can you tell me the steps I need to take to make this happen? Also, what is a "Mobilnova"? I appreciate any information you can provide.
Thanks

The TT does allow quite a bit of tweaking including adding screens, changing cursors, etc. I've added a number of 3rd party apps including a video viewer.

And, yes, I had the very early garmin 'map' software on my computer for my Garmin 45 (I think????).

What 3rd party apps? I'd love to have video to watch movies. I've searched but haven't found any... where can I go to get 3rd party apps?

Strange Behavior

I purchased an 16GB card and followed all of the formatting instructions. I am still experiencing strange behavior. First, I could not sync all of my music to the Tomtom while the card was in the tomtom. My media program appeared to be copying the music but nothing was actually writing to disk. It would start off copying music but after a certain amount was copied it stopped working. I copied all of the music using another sd card reader but when I put it back in tomtom and looked at the card from windows explorer, I couldn't see all of the music. Strangely though, Tomtom Jukebox is able to recognize all of the songs. Unfortunately, it produces other odd behavior. This morning on the way to work, I tried to change the track and it just kept playing the same track. I tried to stop the player by pushing the pause button but it would not stop playing the song. So basically it became non-responsive and i just had to turn it off. So far it's fairly disappointing. I'll keep playing with it but I'm not sure I would recommend spending the money on an SDHC card to someone else. Looks like buying an IPOD is the only stable way to get lots of disc space on the tomtom.

Send a private message to infama. He has a 16 gig card in his 920 and has a million maps and tons of music stored on the card, all working well, I understand.

While I see some apparent issues in your description of events, I'd rather you get advise from someone who has the precise setup you need and is most knowledgeable in all things TT related.

Send a private message to infama. He has a 16 gig card in his 920 and has a million maps and tons of music stored on the card, all working well, I understand.

While I see some apparent issues in your description of events, I'd rather you get advise from someone who has the precise setup you need and is most knowledgeable in all things TT related.

Thanks! I went back out and didn't have the same problems in the car I had earlier. The player was working fine this time. I'll use a separate SD card reader for loading music, etc. I haven't gotten a chance to try watching movies yet. I need a sample divx. Do you know where I can get one?

Thanks! I went back out and didn't have the same problems in the car I had earlier. The player was working fine this time. I'll use a separate SD card reader for loading music, etc. I haven't gotten a chance to try watching movies yet. I need a sample divx. Do you know where I can get one?

Just do a google search for free divx movies

Can't get tomtom to write to SD card

I have formatted the SD card with tomtom, reformatted it with a regular reader and copied all of my music onto the card but tomtom still will not write to the card. I keep getting parameter incorrect message. I'm at a loss because if others are getting this to work, I must be doing something wrong.

I'm really not sure what to try! Please help!

Ask a Question