SDHC or cards >4GB slows down 920?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
I've been working with TomTom support over problems I had updating my maps. In my latest response from them, I received the following warning:

"Also, please do not purchase an 8 GB SD card. The 4GB SD card will be sufficient for your device. We suggest purchasing a standard SD card of 4 GB or less. Utilizing a larger GB capacity or high definition card will cause your processor to slow, which may negatively effect your navigation experience."

Has anyone noticed the use of large capacity SDHC cards slowing down their GO 920? I just purchased an 8GB SDHC card, but will return it and get a 4GB SD (not SDHC) card if this is true.

Thanks!

TGIF

I've been working with TomTom support over problems I had updating my maps. In my latest response from them, I received the following warning:

"Also, please do not purchase an 8 GB SD card. The 4GB SD card will be sufficient for your device. We suggest purchasing a standard SD card of 4 GB or less. Utilizing a larger GB capacity or high definition card will cause your processor to slow, which may negatively effect your navigation experience."

Has anyone noticed the use of large capacity SDHC cards slowing down their GO 920? I just purchased an 8GB SDHC card, but will return it and get a 4GB SD (not SDHC) card if this is true.

Thanks!

TGIF

I know a user with a 16, yes 16 gig sdhc card on a 920 and no problems. Other than the fact that the 920 can read and write to the first 4 gigs but read from greater than 4 gigs, there should be no issues. The x20 series can deal with sdhc cards. Format the cards for fat 32.

I know a user with a 16, yes 16 gig sdhc card on a 920 and no problems. Other than the fact that the 920 can read and write to the first 4 gigs but read from greater than 4 gigs, there should be no issues. The x20 series can deal with sdhc cards. Format the cards for fat 32.

I'm aware that you can get large SDHC cards to work with the 920. My question is whether TomTom's assertion that using such cards will slow down the 920 is true or not.

Has anyone who has added a large SDHC card to their 920 noticed any difference in performance such as slower navigation calculations or slower screen updates or slower startup? Or is TomTom's statement just a bunch of FUD because the cards aren't officially supported?

Thanks!

TGIF

Look at it this way.....if you got a larger hard drive for your computer, would your computer slow down? Methinks you just got a Support person who gave erroneous info (surprise, surprise :mad: )

The load time when I run the music player is longer when I have more pod casts on the 4 gig sdhc card. I have not loaded the favorites from the card..yet.

Class 6 needed?

Hi guys...soon-to-be TT user here with a related question. I just ordered a 920 with the intent of downloading the latest nav software and maps. I don't know what version it will ship with, but according to TT support webpage, Version 8.300 adds:
- Support for IQ Routes 24/7 data (map version 8.15 or higher required)
- Support for SDHC cards (8GB and higher)

My question is three really:
1. Can I use an 8GB or 16GB SDHC card and load both the NA and Europe maps on the same card?
2. Do I need to buy the card right away or can I look around for a good price before doing the download?
3. Do I need to use a class 6 card?

I ask because a couple of hours after placing my order, a sales rep called from the online retailer and advised me to also buy a class 6 card from him for $70 because I need it to store POIs. That price seems pretty steep for an SD card, even for a class 6...I just found this card for $8.75 on amazon: Transcend TS8GSDHC6 8GB SDHC card (SD 2.0 SPD Class 6).

Thanks for your advice and experience!

I have 2 SDHC cards: TopRam 4GB 150x (Class 6: minimum sustained DTS of 6MB/sec) and a PNY 8GB class 4 (Class 4: minimum sustained DTS of 4MB/sec) and can't say I notice all that much of a difference when used on my XL-S. I need to say I have not made many tests so far for lack of time with my PNY vs what I did with my TopRam and reported in a thread here. Since the PNY was on sale for 20$CDN a couple of weeks ago, I jumped on the opportunity and has been working fine so far.

To Swingwing......

I have a gut feeling the online retailer you dealt with may have been one of the less than reputable ones that try to con the users with low initial prices and then try to force them into buying non essentials at very high prices and, if the purchaser refuses, the purchaser finds the sale has been cancelled.

Hope I'm wrong ........:mad:

I was asking a similar question on another forum and was told that the 920 with the new 8.30 app will handle cards larger than 4gb.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=72368

I am using a Scandisk 4GB SDHC in my 920 now and no you don't have to get the SD card right away. Shop around but don't just buy a cheep card R/W speed can be an issue with TomTom.

For what it is worth buy.com have some decent prices on good quality SDHC cards at the moment.

Friendly advice :

Make sure you do a complete Explorer back up of your new unit before you do anything.
More on this here :

click on this?? for how to do backup.

Last edited:
dhn,
you were 100% right. I Googled techondigital and found hundreds of posts saying don't buy from them, they're shady, etc. That will be a lesson to me...don't buy from an unknown company just because they have a low price! Check them out first!!

Anyway, after I bought their "top of the line, high speed" SD card for $70, the package arrived today. I found the same SD card online for $6...it's not even SDHC, just SD, 2GB (see attached pic). Lesson learned. But I figure even with that rip-off, I'm still getting a 920 for $320, and I can use the SD card in my wife's camera (which only has a 512MB card now).

As for the 920, the circular outer seal on the box wasn't stuck closed, so that's suspicious for a unit advertised as "brand new" but the 920 itself looks OK, and it works. The mount, cradle, and USB were all in factory-looking bags, but the car charger was in a ziplock bag---hmm. I already did an Explorer backup. I suppose I should call TomTom to check the serial number to make sure I have the full 1-year warranty.

After that, should I download the new firmware and new maps? How can I determine which f/w and map version I have now?

Attachments

• usappliance_2031_23262688.jpg
    usappliance_2031_23262688.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 318
Tap the satellite bars. The next screen shows the firmware version installed. Now, tap that version number and the next screen shows the map version installed and the build number.

dhn,
you were 100% right. I Googled techondigital and found hundreds of posts saying don't buy from them, they're shady, etc. That will be a lesson to me...don't buy from an unknown company just because they have a low price! Check them out first!!

Anyway, after I bought their "top of the line, high speed" SD card for $70, the package arrived today. I found the same SD card online for $6...it's not even SDHC, just SD, 2GB (see attached pic). Lesson learned. But I figure even with that rip-off, I'm still getting a 920 for $320, and I can use the SD card in my wife's camera (which only has a 512MB card now).

As for the 920, the circular outer seal on the box wasn't stuck closed, so that's suspicious for a unit advertised as "brand new" but the 920 itself looks OK, and it works. The mount, cradle, and USB were all in factory-looking bags, but the car charger was in a ziplock bag---hmm. I already did an Explorer backup. I suppose I should call TomTom to check the serial number to make sure I have the full 1-year warranty.

After that, should I download the new firmware and new maps? How can I determine which f/w and map version I have now?

If I were you I wouldn't install the newest map 8.15 or app 8.30 just yet I would wait till they have the bugs ironed out and this should be shortly.

I wasn't happy with the newest update for my 920 and went back to previous verson.

The only thing is if your Sd card is larger than 4 GB you will need the new 8.15 app.

Last edited:
GarCor said:
The only thing is if your Sd card is larger than 4 GB you will need the new 8.15 app.

You meant the 8.30 application and, in fact, in a case such as yours where you rolled back from 8.3 to 8.01, you'll find the f/w still accepts > 4 gigs now for sdhc cards.

You meant the 8.30 application and, in fact, in a case such as yours where you rolled back from 8.3 to 8.01, you'll find the f/w still accepts > 4 gigs now for sdhc cards.
Not sure if it will dnh in my case as I formated my unit and SD card before reinstalling app and map.

Speeking on reinstalling I thought the backup I had was with 8.30 app and 8.10 map so I went to OldBoys site and downloaded the 8.010 app and installed it . There was a bugg in it because with his app in there every couple of minuts my unit would flash and squak like a pheasant. I sent Andy P a PM yesterday asking hin to please let OldBoy know as I couldn't find OldBoy on the UK forum.

I reinstalled my back up and luck was in my favour it had the 8.010 app & 8.10 map.

Did you just restore the loose files in the root of the unit with those from your 8.01 backup or did you overwrite the whole thing, folders and files?

Did you just restore the loose files in the root of the unit with those from your 8.01 backup or did you overwrite the whole thing, folders and files?

I totaly erased my internal memory with a format.

Question ?? where do you look in the app floder for verson in a backup ?

In the program folder on your computer (path determined by default paths set in Home) for me, I have 3 cab files, one representing each of the last three firmware downloads: 8.3, 8.01 and 7.48 (I finally deleted 7.221 :p ).

I suspect if I were to use home to remove the firmware from the unit and use Explorer to move my firmware cab files for 8.3 and 7.48 (leaving only 8.01) and use Home to navigate to Items on my computer, I'd see under programs that 8.01 would be listed and I could choose to reinstall that way.

I suspect you too have a bunch of cab files on your computer.

(path determined by default paths set in Home)

I would have to be difficult :D I changed the default path to a different drive as I have my computer petitioned. However I will have a look there. I would think the cab. file in the backup would show me what verson.

When one has a straight backup with all the files as stored on the TT, one can look at the ttgo.bif with a text editor and find whatever version of bootloader, NavCore, map, gps is used.

Ask a Question