920 and SD card

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
Can anyone recommed a large and fast SD card that will work with the 920?

I wanted to know if there was a max size/speed that the unit can use.

Thanks in advance!

It depends on your preference. I am used to my 910 and having more than one map installed including mp3s.

forget it, i totally didnt realize i needed to format it first. it is all working now.

btw, i am new here. i have only been here a few times but have already found a lot of useful info. thank you everyone!

Glad you got it working. I have a few movies on my SD card which is nice because of the extra memory I have.
Enjoy.

I just got a 16GB Patriot Class 6 card. I formatted it in a card reader and copied movies and mp3-s until it was full.

Now I am observing a funny behaviour. Mobilnova can read and WRITE the whole 16GB (it created .pos files for every movies) and it can access all mp3 files as well.

The TomTom Media Player cannot see the SD card at all. TT Home neither and my Windows also see the card unformatted via the TomTom and USB cable.

So I assume the 16GB support is not hw, but sw related, which means that TomTom could come up with 16GB support in the one of the new sw releases...

Chip

Last edited:
I finally returned a 8gig card. It was a bit too unreliable in my 920.

What I think occurs with some of the internal applications (mp3 player, photo viewer) is that they attempt to WRITE to the card - either creating little thumbnail files or "bookmarks" or indexes. The TT is not designed (firmware or hardware???) to deal with writing to the larger cards. So while it could sometimes find the media I installed on the 8 gig, it would also stall and implode (spontaneous reboot).

My card is working fine now, too. I see 16GB when the card is in the TomTom and connected to the PC via USB.

The trick was the procedure I found here in another topic.

1. Load the SD card into TomTom
2. Using Windows XP format the SD card
3. The card will only be formatted to 4 gig (for now)
4. Restart Home
5. The TomTom will ask which you wish to use (say the SD card)
6. Go ahead and let it update (mine placed the mp3, voices folder on the card along with a couple of other files)
7. Exit Home and remove the SD Card from the 920
8. Place the SD card into a modern SD card reader (I ordered a $3.45 + shipping white SanDisk bulk one from amazon which works fine)
9. Create a directory on your hard drive
10. Copy all the files and folders from the SD card to this folder
11. Reformat the SD sd card this time it should allow formatting to 8g (actually 7.51g)
12. Copy all the files you earlier copied off the SD card back onto it
13. Reinsert the SD card into TomTom 920
14. Turn the 920 back on and start Home
15. Again select the SD card as the one you wish to use (note it should say about 7.5g available)
16. You can then go to my computer and see that the SD card appears as a 7.5g drive there also
17. Then just use as you normally would.

My card is working fine now, too. I see 16GB when the card is in the TomTom and connected to the PC via USB.

The trick was the procedure I found here in another topic.

>>>Are you sure the instructions are correct? It says 8GB but you say you are seeing 16GB

>>>Are you sure the instructions are correct? It says 8GB but you say you are seeing 16GB

Whoever wrote the procedure had a 8G card. I have a 16G card, but the procedure is the same.

The only issue is that I have to write the card in a card reader.

BR, Chip

Glad you got it working. I have a few movies on my SD card which is nice because of the extra memory I have.
Enjoy.

it is working, but it is still having issues.

1) it usually takes me 3-4 times to convert a movie. i am converting from an already converted DVD to MP4, i have also converted from a DVD directly with little success. it always freezes up on me at about 70% complete.

2) mobilnova program does no recognize the SD card so i have to manually install them on the card, not a huge problem.

3) when i exit mobilnova on my TomTom i lose my remote control functionality and have had to reset the unit in order to get it working again.

small but irritating problems but its better than nothing.

i hope to have the sound "hard wired" to my stereo this summer so i can listen to my movies in stereo. i cant wait!!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question