8.25 Maps and "NE" etc.

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 1535M and XXL-540TM
I upgraded to the newest maps and noticed that any time my 720 states a street name that includes "NE" for Northeast... instead of saying Northeast it says "N E" (en ee) which is very strange.

Just seeing if anyone else is noticing this... this would happen before when I would use a "British" voice... since they don't use NE, NW, SE, SW those voices break up the letters into N E.

So... no one else is experiencing the issue I am?

It only happens on NE descriptions... NW SW etc are all correct... just NE

You may also find that if a street has a Br, meaning, 'bridge', it may be pronounced 'B R'.

Has to do with faulty translation in the .lex file (or something like that :eek: )

I don't have an NE around me, but I did notice that what used to be read as "Alabama Highway 143" has been shortened to "A" "L" Highway 143. I'm using the standard American English Computer Voice.

I haven't driving down a "NE" street with the new map yet, but I did test Susan and she will say the words "north east" properly.

I navigated to a street in my area that has a north east designation using the Spoken address dialog feature; when I said the street name, Susan repeated it back to me correctly and the TomTom listed the street direction as "NE".

If you already haven't done so, I would enable VR. I would then use the Spoken address dialog feature to navigate to the street in your area that is being mispronounced. If you're using Susan, I would check to make sure the street is on the map as "NE" and not "N.E." or "N E"; if you're not using Susan, I would recommend switching to her.

I've also noticed a big pronunciation error on map 8.25 that did exist on my old 7.10 map.

On highways and interstates TomTom has relabeled the direction by adding a "b", which I assume stands for "bound". Why they did this for the North America map is beyond me; I've yet to see the word "bound" used on any interstate or highway I've driven on.

I made a map correction on one of the interstates in my area and emailed CS on the matter, as it seems they could easily fix the issue without recoding text-to-speech files by simply removing the "b" from all direction designators; assuming most understand that if they take an exit east, they will indeed be east bound :)

Amazingly, I did hear back from CS within 12 hours. I guess because suggestions are easier to reply to than problems, they must get higher priority :rolleyes:

Ask a Question