740 Reboots while driving

I have a relatively new 740 Live that's been updated to the latest software using TT Home (and the latest map, after calling TT tech support).

Since I started using it, I've seen it reboot itself while driving a few times now (maybe 3 or 4 so far). It always comes right back to where it left off, but it takes a few minutes which is really annoying.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

-Brian

The occasional re-boot during use is annoying but similar to what I have seen when using the 940, it has occured on different software versions, different maps and at different locations.

No real single pointer as to what is causing it, at one point I was driving out of work, the road on the map is broken by the site entrance as its private land, as I crossed the break in the road on the map it re-booted. I have since driven out of that same road for 9+ months with the device never suffering another re-boot!! - Mike

I've had a 740 since they were first released and have only noticed one reboot IIRC. Much better than my 930 which will reboot a few times a month, even more often when I had bluetooth active. Also still turns itself on once in awhile (the 930).

reboot

I have the 920t and have to add that it reboots very often. Sometimes in the worse possible times. It usually happens when you press allot of buttons like having bluetooth enable along with traffic and along with my remote being activated. I definately think that it is the way memory was alloted. On reviews on the internet on the newest tomtom devices this reboot problem is always noted even on the new 740's. As far as correction for this problem, tomtom as always says that they are working on this problem like the plus service traffic which you can probably depend on solving these 2 problems in 2-3 years, maybe, or when you get discusted and unfortunately buy another brand. By chance if Tom tom is listening, tell me that I am wrong.

I have a relatively new 740 Live that's been updated to the latest software using TT Home (and the latest map, after calling TT tech support).

Since I started using it, I've seen it reboot itself while driving a few times now (maybe 3 or 4 so far). It always comes right back to where it left off, but it takes a few minutes which is really annoying.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

-Brian

Do you use bluetooth handsfree? If so, see this link - it was the cause of 90% of my reboots on my 720.

Hmm...no BT link in use on my 740. I guess my best hope is to wait for a TT fix via a firmware update. Thanks for all the info!

-Brian

Hmm...no BT link in use on my 740. I guess my best hope is to wait for a TT fix via a firmware update. Thanks for all the info!

-Brian

Do you know how long tom tom knows about this problem. Well over a year with no fixes. When the 740 is reviewed by the tech geeks this reboot problem is always mentioned. The only thing I can think of it to send LOTS of emails . The reboot problem can be very dangerous if this occurs during major intersecions. Why can't tom tom address this very severe problem? Now they are doing the same thing in putting problems on the back burner as if it will disappear by itself such as the plus service traffic problemS. It sort of rediculous how tomtom is treating its end users. TOMTOM WAKE UP!

I'm tired of TomTom's inability and/or unwillingness to fix their problem with the units. It is well documented and they need to get their people in China or India to fix it once and for all.

Until then I will never, ever buy another TomTom product and will continue to tell people to stay away from them. And I really like the unit EXCEPT their failure to provide support for a feature they sold. I wonder if the NY state AG would like another corporate target for consumer fraud ?

Ask a Question