730 Turning on at will.

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I'm a recent TT user. 3 days ago I purchased a 730. Coming from the Garmin (Streepilot C550) and the Dash experience, I can say Tom Tom is the best I've had so far. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the unit. So, here goes a newbie question. At times, I've left the unit on the car with the power charger attached and connected, and have found out the unit turned on... by itself. Is this a bug? I'm really baffled caused I know, for a fact, that before leaving the car unattended, I have turned off the unit. Has anyone here have had this happen?

its a bug in the software.

the bug has been in the software ( many versions ) for about a year.

there are a few so called fixes but none of them really work....the " clear flash " tool from tomtom does sometimes help for a period of time.

there are a couple of threads on this subject.

Sometimes, the 'clear route' selection stops the unit from turning on. At least, for some that has worked.

My 720 hasn't turned on like that in the latest few software releases. It appears that most remaining phantom turn-ons are with 920 or 930 owners. And I rarely do a clear-route.

You may want to do a clean wipe of the Tomtom, it may fix this (and your Blackberry) problems. The bluetooth traffic has slightly more coverage than the antenna traffic, and is less cluttered on your dashboard.

1) First, copy everything on the Tomtom (using Windows Explorer, with show hidden/system files enabled) onto your computer. This will serve as a backup if you have any problems

2) Then, use the Latest Map Guarantee if you haven't already, that gets your map up to date, and more importantly keeps a copy of the map on your computer.

3) Use windows and format the entire tomtom drive as fat32.

4) Use winrar to extract this file onto the Tomtom. I'd recommend 8.302 since you're using a blackberry.

5) Open up Home and download the latest map and your favorite comptuer voice. Then go to "update my GO" and download everything except the application update.

I forgot you're a mac user:

For step 1, use mac finder instead of windows explorer

For step 3, these are the equivalent steps for formatting for a mac.

For step 4, use stuffit to open the cab file

Ask a Question