730 Questions and Problems

I am a new user and have a few issues I hope that I cna get some help with:

1) Is there anyway to set up a bunch of favorites on my desktop and sync them into the TOMTOM? Setting them up via the unit is painful.

2) My home address does not exist in the most recent TOMTOM maps. Garmin has it though. I am getting no end of crap from my wife about this. Is this fixable?

3) When using the 730 for cell phone calls the volume, even at max, is unacceptably low. What have people done to resolve this? When talking at 100% volume the unit's speakers sound like they are about to die. Is this normal?

4) The FM broadcast isn't nearly strong enough. Can the broacast power be tweaked to make it stronger? Even on channels with no FM broadcast at all I still get tons of static from the TOMTOM broadcast. Normal FM radio stations sound great though.

5) The screen seems to be dim. Can the brigntness be turned up?

6) Internal memory is almost full.. leaving 100MB for music. Can music be stored on a SD card inserted into the unit? Should I load the SD card with music and then install it or is the SD card's storage available via USB when I plug the TOMTOM into my PC?

Thanks for any suggestions. I am trying to save this unit form the return bin.

home location

Just to to change home location then use the right arrow and then to to the my location button if you are in your home. You now set up your home location to that particular spot. Good luck

As far as your music is concerned you can use a sd card to copy your music to this via tom tom home.

to stop dimness on the brighness preference make sure you uncheck turn bightness down when dark. Then go to battery saving preferences and check never dim screen

On my 920 the sound sounds very good and loud. You can check on phone support at 866 4tom tom

As far as i know I don't think that their is a way to set favorites on the desktop

As for the fm transmission Their is a major glitch. Sound disconnects as the reception varies. you really cant' adjust the sound level that I know of. maybe others can help with this problem

Last edited:
1/ Consider using a Custom POI file instead of favourites as this can be editted on the PC using software such as POIEdit available from Here this way a map upgrade won't loose all of the locations, favourites don't tend to work when copied to a newer map folder, also you get the advantage of being able to enter phone numbers against each location and you are not limitted to only 48

2/ Make sure you have a GPS position fix when stood outside your house, also make sure the location is actually on the map otherwise the device will refuse to navigate to it! Otherwise use Change Preferences/ Change Home Location/ My Location.

3/ Are you adjusting the volume on the TomTom while you are actually using the device for hands free, make a call via the device to your home or mates then tap the lower left corner of the screen and adjust the slider to increase the hands free volume, this control is seperate to the normal volume control and can only be adjusted while making a call, it is hidden at all other times.

4/ You cannot adjust the power output of the FM Tx, consider Lineout or better still the Bluetooth audio output but these options could mean another car stereo, one accessory that might help though is an FM Injection box, these take the Line Out audio and modulate the sound on to the FM frequency before injecting it directly to the car aerial wire - much better performance and will work with your existing car deck.

5/ As per previous reply from doctormstein1

6/ Put a folder named "mp3" (without the "" and it must be lower case) in the root of the memory card, then put your music files in to this folder, the device will see the extra music when it next boots up. You can use either SD or SDHC type cards with a capacity up to and including 32GB in your x30 device, the card can also be used for extra pictures, maps etc.
It is also possible to put the Navcore software on the card and get the device to boot from the card, removing the card makes the unit boot from the internal Flash memory, I use this method to dual boot my devices so I can have two different versions of Navcore available by inserting/ removing the memory card - Mike

5) The screen seems to be dim. Can the brigntness be turned up?

Go to Change Preferences, Brightness Preferences, uncheck "Turn brightness down when dark", Done. For some reason if left checked that setting dims the screen even during bright day time.

Ask a Question