Just got a GO 730, have some questions

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 730
Hi, I just got a go 730 in the mail last night, and I love it so far. But I have a few questions.

1. How do I get my free map update? I hope I didn't miss it because when I hooked it up to my computer, it asked and I clicked later because I have heard of some people losing everything when they update. I thought I could do it after I delete the voices I don't need. And if I have to call Tom tom to do it, what is the number for the USA?
2. How do I connect my phone via bluetooth? My phone is a samsung rant from sprint, but I don't have a data plan. My phone does have bluetooth.

3. Is it possible to get the FM transmitter working if my car can't get even numbered station? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

4. There is this road that I frequent that isn't on the map that came preinstalled. The road is about 8 months old, and has a ramp to get on the interstate. Is it possible that the free update will have it? And if it does not, is it possible to put the road and exit on the device using the map editor or map share?

5. And is it possible to put your own logo for a new poi? And how do you make a new poi?

Sorry for all the questions, but so far I can tell I made a better decision by picking TomTom over Garmin.

Hi, I just got a go 730 in the mail last night, and I love it so far. But I have a few questions.

1. How do I get my free map update? I hope I didn't miss it because when I hooked it up to my computer, it asked and I clicked later because I have heard of some people losing everything when they update. I thought I could do it after I delete the voices I don't need. And if I have to call Tom tom to do it, what is the number for the USA? .

Before doing anything, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

I'd suggest you get a 4-gig sdhc card (reliable brand, at least class 4) for the map. It should fit in internal but selecting to install on the card will give much greater flexibility and less hassle in the long run.

Then connect to Home and use the Latest Map Guarantee. It should offer NA 840, just released a week a go. If it doesn't, call support at 866-486-6866.

Then make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the pc.

4. There is this road that I frequent that isn't on the map that came preinstalled. The road is about 8 months old, and has a ramp to get on the interstate. Is it possible that the free update will have it? And if it does not, is it possible to put the road and exit on the device using the map editor or map share?

You can't add roads using mapshare, just report them and hope they'll be included in a new map sometime in the future. You could give the information here about the road and somebody with an 840 map may be able to tell you if it exists.

5. And is it possible to put your own logo for a new poi? And how do you make a new poi?

Make a bmp of 22x22 and name the file exactly the same as a poi ov2 file. For example, My_Stores.ov2 MUST have a bmp file called My_Stores.bmp and then both go in the NA map folder (use Explorer to put them there).

Sorry for all the questions, but so far I can tell I made a better decision by picking TomTom over Garmin

Hey, thanks for the help. I figured out how to get my updated map, and make the correct backup. The updated map had the new road and 840 exit, so Im really happy. And thanks for help with the logos. I got some work to do getting logos on my church and school, etc. The only thing Im confused about is the bluetooth with my phone. Does anyone know how to get that working?

The only thing Im confused about is the bluetooth with my phone. Does anyone know how to get that working?

Set your phone's to "discoverable" mode under the phone's bluetooth settings.

Then attempt to add a phone under phone/bluetooth preferences, and the Tomtom should find it.

new 730

Ok,

I hope that I am in the right thread. I know how frustrating it can be to have someone butts in on the wrong thread. If this is the case than can someone point me in thr right way?

I just got the GO 730 on black friday. I am currently using a NUVE 200. All the options of the 730 made me happy but once I started playing with it I am very very disappointed in it. 1. My cell phone is not capable with it. Does any one know when they will add more phones to the list? 2. The Navigation is a true pain in the but. Hopefully someone can shed some light. Then trying to search for Lowes (home improvement) It will not come up. the only way it will can up is if i search within the Shop POI it comes up. This sounds petty but when it comes to searching other items they do not show up and this will allow a lot of missed POIs once in a unfamiler city. Also how do you get the thing to stop navigating once you get going and want to stop?

Please help me out I am so close to returning this thing and stick with my Basic NUVE.

You stop navigating by using the main screen and arrow right to 'Clear Route'.

When searching for a poi, sometimes helps if you try this:

Navigate to-->poi-->(select city or near you or on route), then Seaqrch poi, then type in part of the word you are looking for, for example: type 'McD' and all the McDonalds in the file will get listed by (crow flies) distance from you.

What phone do you have? Are you trying to pair for handsfree or data or both?

More phones are compatible than what Tomotm lists. The Tomtom list is only the phones they've tested in their lab.

Lowes is spelled "lowe's" in the Tomtom file (and walmart is "wal-mart"). Tomtom's picky about punctuation, however a substring search for lowe will find it.

The 730 only has the mid-range POI file, and may not have lowes. See here to install the high end file.

Also, make sure you run Latest Map Guarantee. The IQRoutes and lane guidance improvements in the latest maps are substantial. The IQroutes directions in the latest maps are very good.

Thank you for the help

Ok,
First off, thank you for the help. I was able to "learn" the tom tom and search more effectively, I have an Enve 2 from Verizon. I explored other threads and I ran into the same thing as many other. The phone would "pair" but Tom Tom would have nothing to do with it. This was My wifes new GPS and was not happy with its formatting and it went back to best buy. ( you know how they can be) I handed over my Nuve to the Wife and I got the New Droid. (WOW I know this is not a cell thread but this thing is great and really does Everything. Even the driving application is in my mind far better then Tom Tom. It does not show speed limits or overhead signs. But it sends anything from the net to your gps and even uses google maps to show actual pictures of there you are driving.) Sorry, Do not mean to do that so i will wrap it up. If you have Verizon,(even if you don't have Verizon get them)(plus no annoying out of date maps) Get the Droid it will take the Place of your GPS and make you wonder why they still sell them. Again Thank you for your time and help. I know it was in vain but, its guys like you that help many like me.

Mike.

No question that for basic cheap GPS functionality the Droid is a compelling option.

Personally, I prefer dumbphones because the cellco's extort $20-$30 less per month from you if you have a dumbphone. My razr2 happily makes calls, browses the web on the rare occasion that I need it, and has enough java games for me to happily bowl or golf away the time if I'm bored.

A 730 will have a bigger screen than the droid (huge safety factor), much better (congestion avoiding) direcitons, and for $4 a month you get maps that are just as fresh and far more accurate, and you don't lose your navigation when you travel into a cellco deadzone.

Each person has their preference, but I like small phones and big-screen GPSs, so I prefer 2 devices instead of one.

Ask a Question