720 with VR and 8+ software possible?

I haven't received my 720 yet. It's on order from amazon. While I'm waiting for it, I've been reading up as much as I can. It seems I made a wise decision going with the 720 vs the 730 as with the latest maps you get the IQ routing and ALG. I also saw mention of VR capability with an older software version. Is the same trick to enable it with 7 available with the latest map and firmware version? I would imagine so. Now I really can't wait till I receive it.

If you get a new or legitimate TomTom refurbished 720 from Amazon, you will be able to use the Map Guarantee to get 810 maps, and in any case, you will be able to update the application to 8.01. You will then for all practical purposes have a 730.

I just went through the process with a 920, and VY, IQ Routes, and lane guidance all work.

If you don't get a unit that qualifies for the Map Guarantee, I would think about returning it. Like-new refurbs from Radio Shack and Staples ate going for $169 - and they qualify for the above,

If you kept it without the Map updates, you could still get VR to work - but it would take some doing. You can find the procedures in this forum - but don't worry about crossing that bridge until your unit arrives.

If you get a new or legitimate TomTom refurbished 720 from Amazon, you will be able to use the Map Guarantee to get 810 maps, and in any case, you will be able to update the application to 8.01. You will then for all practical purposes have a 730.

I just went through the process with a 920, and VY, IQ Routes, and lane guidance all work.

If you don't get a unit that qualifies for the Map Guarantee, I would think about returning it. Like-new refurbs from Radio Shack and Staples ate going for $169 - and they qualify for the above,

If you kept it without the Map updates, you could still get VR to work - but it would take some doing. You can find the procedures in this forum - but don't worry about crossing that bridge until your unit arrives.

I was going to wait until Monday but I couldn't wait any longer :) I just placed my order for the GO 720, 30 min before this post. I ordered it from Radio Shack for $169.99. I'm on my way to the post office in a few minutes to ship out this ONE XL to its new owner.

I also was about to ask this question with VR and the 720 with newest software/maps. Thanks

Sage, you know to BACK UP with Explorer BEFORE doing anything else, right? (when you get your new toy)

Sage, you know to BACK UP with Explorer BEFORE doing anything else, right? (when you get your new toy)

Talk about backups... I have at LEAST 13 different separate backups for the ONE XL (which im about to delete, all but 1). One of them being the posessed version of my map.

But yea I know what you mean. When I first got my XL, I didn't back up anything. I had jumped straight to the newest. I of course won't do that this time.

I can understand that if I forget to backup as soon as I get the 720, I might really screw myself because the new 810 map + software will completely kill my speech files. I am most likely going to have to preserve the speech files that come with the unit to use it in the newer version of software/map. Am I right? I'm just making sure I have everything correct in my mind.

*sigh* Next month I'll be sure to see 720's selling for $139.99 and 920's for $169.99 hehe

Last edited:
Before you upgrade anything and after you make an initial windows backup of the new unit, bring over all your voices, color schemes, etc. to your new unit.

Then use Home to "Copy to Computer" your application, voices, even the map, etc. Then you will easily be able to load any of them back to your unit after you update the app and the map (plus you have the old app and map just in case - and you would not need to do a complete restore).

I don't think you will have buyer's remorse at that price - I would be more worried about whether TomTom will be able to survive if their units become simply a low priced commodity.

It is a refurb from amazon. Personally, I prefer refurb units as I know someone has actually looked at the unit. If the unit comes preinstalled with 8.x, would it still contain the csspeech.dat files? I'm assuming so, but you know how that can go. ;)

It is a refurb from amazon. Personally, I prefer refurb units as I know someone has actually looked at the unit. If the unit comes preinstalled with 8.x, would it still contain the csspeech.dat files? I'm assuming so, but you know how that can go. ;)

Refurb units are awesome since they go through MORE testing than new units do. Refurb units are tested extensively to make sure they are functioning properly.

As far as software versions, My ONE XL which was refurbished came with the first version of NavCore 7 and came with Map 7.10. Refurbs most likely will come with an older version of map/software because they have had to sit at the factory due to the fixing process, which is a good thing for us 720 people.

Even if our units come with a newer version which doesn't include VR, I'm sure someone here would be nice enough to upload or share the VR speech files :)

I'm actually of thinking of also putting up my mother's 1 month old Magellan Maestro on ebay, and purchasing another 720. I REALLY love the Magellan but there's just an EXTREME lack of updates for the unit, and no mapshare. There's no way to customize anything. It's very basic. It gets you from point A to point B, and thats about it. It IS very good at it though. Has text to speech and all, but has a little 3.5 screen. My mom thinks it's a bit too small.

Refurb units are awesome since they go through MORE testing than new units do. Refurb units are tested extensively to make sure they are functioning properly.

As far as software versions, My ONE XL which was refurbished came with the first version of NavCore 7 and came with Map 7.10. Refurbs most likely will come with an older version of map/software because they have had to sit at the factory due to the fixing process, which is a good thing for us 720 people.

Even if our units come with a newer version which doesn't include VR, I'm sure someone here would be nice enough to upload or share the VR speech files :)

I'm actually of thinking of also putting up my mother's 1 month old Magellan Maestro on ebay, and purchasing another 720. I REALLY love the Magellan but there's just an EXTREME lack of updates for the unit, and no mapshare. There's no way to customize anything. It's very basic. It gets you from point A to point B, and thats about it. It IS very good at it though. Has text to speech and all, but has a little 3.5 screen. My mom thinks it's a bit too small.

My point exactly on a refurb. Given an option, I'd take a refurb over a production unit anyday. I did look at the Maestros as well. Mapshare is what has me sold on the TT. Even if you don't buy a new map, you should get a much longer life from it's installed map vs any other competitor. Plus IQ routing should be a huge benefit to me. I'll be moving to a new city soon and I can see where that would be a godsend. It will beat having the paper map or my Magellan Meridian GPS out. The meridian has been great for offroading, but for city streets, the data is to outdated and the screen too small.

From what I've read, you need both the 8.x firmware and 8.x map files. Someone more knowledgable should be able to verify that.

Ask a Question