720 - Verizon - TT Traffic - Connected ??

Chilly - how did you "aquire" the free traffic subscription?

Chilly - how did you "aquire" the free traffic subscription?

Purchased thru the main TT haome page: http://www.tomtom.com/plus/mytraffic.php

Then I discovered while browsing thru some TT threads that it was free.
Contacted TT and complained that I paid for somthing supposebly free.
Next day account was credited and recived an email explaning the service will
be free until such time it's actually working.

TT.jpg

Last edited:
Worked pefectly for one day. Got the icon thangy going and updated along the route I was travelling. Weather also was working.

Has anyone found a solution for Verizon DATA connections ??

So is it working or not now? Does it give you an error or just not getting data?

So is it working or not now? Does it give you an error or just not getting data?

Yes, it works.

BUT........ because Verizon & TomTom don't play nicely together, the ability to make a connection is hit-n-miss.

I just now connected, and below are screenies. [i could attempt this again in 10 minutes and it won't connect]

dump1147512808.jpg

dump1147512809.jpg

dump1147512810.jpg

Cool Chilly.......but you say you Don't have data service but still occasionally get connected?

That is a fact.

I have nothing more than the basic Verizon family plan. [NO DATA ---Vcast,ect]

But, i've known from experience that anyone can tether a phone using USB to a laptop.[V3m USB drivers installed] Setup a "new connection" using the settings from 1st post in this thread.

The speed of this type of connection, is like that of a home "old school" dialup connection. 14.4 to 40's kbps

But, you can indeed connect.

So i'm thinking the 720 uses the exact protocol to connect as the laptop does. Why it's intermittant is unknown to me.

That is a fact.

I have nothing more than the basic Verizon family plan. [NO DATA ---Vcast,ect]

But, i've known from experience that anyone can tether a phone using USB to a laptop.[V3m USB drivers installed] Setup a "new connection" using the settings from 1st post in this thread.

The speed of this type of connection, is like that of a home "old school" dialup connection. 14.4 to 40's kbps

But, you can indeed connect.

So i'm thinking the 720 uses the exact protocol to connect as the laptop does. Why it's intermittant is unknown to me.
Indeed, it's the same "dial up networking" method in both cases... just that one is being managed over a Bluetooth connection as well.

That you are able to get DUN services without a data plan is interesting UNLESS your phone is old enough that it's actually behaving as a real modem (tone modulated data ala V.32 or V.32bis modem protocols!). My earliest cell phones did data this way, and I didn't need any sort of data plan, it was just funny sounding "voice" --- but then again, I had to enter real phone numbers to talk to real modems somewhere, too. These days, the "phone number" used via cell phones isn't a phone number at all, and the connections are purely digital, not analog. I wonder if there is still some vestige of an old analog modem system in use where you are that allows you to use the regular voice network to move data for legacy phones? That's the only explanation I can imagine apart from dumb luck.

Chilly,

What phone are you using? Ops, found it your using a V3m. Did you hack it and what SW version is on your phone?

Last edited:
Now i'm adding a new twist to the whole traffic issue. As stated in previous post, my ability to connection via my Moto Phone was sporatic at best.

Anyhooo.... I just purchased and activated Verizon Broadband: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...ion=priceSort&typeId=5&subTypeId=13&catId=409

Using this USB thangy:
vzw_u150_modem.jpg

Small, light and easy to use, the UM150 USB Modem provides high?speed access on our 1x/EV?DO network via VZAccess Manager. It is compatible with devices that support a Type A USB port and comes equipped with a high?performance, retractable antenna and a Y?shaped extension cable for added performance and convenience. In addition, the UM150 serves as a mass storage device with its built?in microSDsm memory slot (4GB+ capacity).

So my question now is.............

I have a laptop - it's now connected to the internet 24/7 while on the road - it's Bluetooth capable with a USB dongle - laptop has available USB ports.

Anyone have any insight as to making a traffic connection, using the above setup ??

[NOTE] I did not get the Broadband Access for the use of traffic feature. I'm just sick and tired dealing with the paltry slow ass'd speeds offered by the national chains of truck stops.[NOTE]

But i'm thinking there might be a way to connect the 720...... I just don't have a clue how to do it.

I used all your settings for the verizon setup and cannot connect as 720 says cannot cennect do I wish to set up IP address myself. I get to about 65% and get this message every time.

My bluetooth works great.

Anyone have any insight as to making a traffic connection, using the above setup ??
You can do this without any hassle at all provided you are able to get the Dial Up Networking info for your new broadband wireless dongle from Verizon. Tell them your "application" needs to use it for dial-up networking (DUN) and somebody there should be able to scare up the information.

Windows can be told to use dial-up networking (instead of LAN) just as you would if you were having it use a modem to dial up an ISP. The process is the same. First, make the bluetooth connection between your 720 and your computer. Unless you have strange bluetooth profile set, it will include BT DUN as one of its profiles. Now...

When you fire up Internet Explorer, go to "Tools", "Internet Options", "Connections".

Click on "Bluetooth Connection" and "Settings" and "Properties". It will then ask you for a phone number. What you want probably won't look anything like a phone number at all (around here, you'll see things like "#777" and "s=2" and the like for doing this through our phones). That's the first piece you need to get from Verizon. Click "Next", and give it a name of some sort, and click "Finish".

On the next screen, you can probably do just fine by entering a username and password. Again, those will be given to you by Verizon for dial-up networking IF they are needed to make the connection. We use things like "[email protected]" or whatever and a password of "sprint". What you are supplying is some sort of login information.

That takes care of the setup of the dial-up part -- now you just need to assure that this is what gets used to make your connections for your PC to the "internet".

Back at the main "Connections" tab, instead of the typical hardwired or wireless choice of "Never dial a connection", you can set this to "Always dial my default connection" and set your Bluetooth connection as your "Default".

All you've really done in the above is set up a standard Dialup connection for IE, using a somewhat peculiar phone number. The rest of the process is normal for a manually configured dialup configuration -- apart from selecting Bluetooth as your "modem", of course.

If all works as it should, you have now asked IE to use your new broadband dongle as a dialup modem device instead of a normal broadband device.

Last edited:
user name/password not recognized

I entered the user name and password and phone number and it was working then it disconnected and said my user name or password wasn't recognized and a screen comes up for me to enter them again.

Now I can't seem to go back in TT and start over with setting up weather, it seems like the data is stuck. How do I change it? I want to go back and make sure I entered it all okay.

There's a way to use Verizon's home office and use your phone as a modem without paying a dime other than the software you need to load on your PC. That's data, isn't it?
Thanks!

Yes, it works.

BUT........ because Verizon & TomTom don't play nicely together, the ability to make a connection is hit-n-miss.

I just now connected, and below are screenies. [i could attempt this again in 10 minutes and it won't connect]

dump1147512808.jpg

dump1147512809.jpg

dump1147512810.jpg

Ask a Question