720 - struggling with SDHC card

The latest map update blew my internal memory (Western Europe). I followed the instructions to delete some of the superfluous language files, but I want to move the map to an SDHC card before the next update.

I am having the most enormous amount of trouble doing this. The TomTom will work with the card, I get the select screen in Home, I select the card, but all Home shows me is the internal memory.

I have deleted Western Europe from the Internal drive, and added it manually to the SDHC (4gb) card. That works in TomTom, but I can't see it in Home, and therefore I assume Home won't update it.

I also can't use the change device menu option from the Device menu.

All very puzzling.

I am using a Mac - latest OS X.

Anyone got any idea?

Many thanks in advance
Alastair

Try a pin reset on the unit and then connect again to the Mac. Start Home. does it see the existence of the sdhc card now?

Thanks for the reply.

I have already tried resetting the device with a brief press on the reset button. I can sometimes see the SDHC card, but if I can, two other things happen:

i) I get asked to download the application software to the SDHC card
ii) I can't switch to the Internal memory - the Change Device option is still greyed out

If I do download the application software to the TomTom, I then get the "can't find any maps" message when I start the TomTom up. Deleting the software from the card manually fixes this - but I am prompted to download it again next time.

Also, the "Operate My Go" fails to work, and more worryingly so does the Map Share feature. It says my device doesn't support Map Share.

It's got me completely foxed!

Appreciate the help :)

Post the version of HOME you are using along with the installed version of the OS and Maps on the unit itself.

Assuming that you can connect to the computer:
1. Make a Finder, not home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Make another backup of the card's contents.
3. Format the internal unit. Don't use quickformat (if offered in a Mac)
4. Restore both backups.
5. Uninstall and reinstall Home.
6. Connect the unit to Home.

Any better?

Once again thanks.

spook45 - versions....

TomTom Home (Mac) 2.7.3.754
Software 8.351
Map Western Europe 845.2645

dhn - running the backups right now!

Any better?

No :(

I now get a flashing hard rive symbol on the device and a flashing symbol that could be an SD card or a manual.

The device doesn't start anymore.

If I take the SD card out I get a flashing SD card with a big red cross through it, which eventually changes to a red circle with a white cross it it.

Now trying to put the map back onto the drive to see if that makes a difference.

Will keep you updated!

Run it three times. No change.

Tried a fresh reformat, copying my manual backup, full reset so a screen a data appears. Everything I can think of.

I can operate the device within TomTom Home using "Operate Your Go".

Symptoms still the same - without the card in (I now have the map back on the device) I get an animation with the SD card being removed from the TomTom and a big red read cross put through it. With an SD card I get the flashing effect I described earlier.

:(

Further update....

I have two cards - one with the map on, one with the map and TomTom software (thanks to an earlier incident with TomTom Home).

The device will boot with the card with the software on, go through the setup screen and then leave me with the "No Maps" blank page.

The device won't get beyond the flashing SD and Internal Drive icons with the card with just the map on - as described in my earlier post.

Any ideas gratefully received!

I would now like to just get back to the SD card-less TomTom state I was in yesterday morning - short on space, but with a device that works!

Thanks again

The red X means the unit is not seeing the application.

I know you've done it before but try again, in Home, remove items from my unit, select application.

Once done, disconnect the unit properly from Home (use the Device disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home's screen).

Reconnect to Home and you should be offered an application. Accept and install. Again, disconnect properly. Restart the unit.

Thanks for keeping going!

Tried that - but same old, same old...

I assume the fact that it is putting a red cross through the SD means it think the app should be on the SD card?

How do I persuade it otherwise?

Well, with the card out, press the reset on the unit. Then, with the card in but no application on the card, try another pin reset.

See what happens.

Thanks - tried that, still nothing.

I am not sure the Clear Flash Tool is working as intended.

I have dragged all the files to the desktop, and I run the file TomTom Setup. It completes very quickly, and then doesn't give any kind of Exit type option, just the same options to install. Is that normal?

Thanks

...and thinking about it, the real pain started after I had reformatted the drive. Just trying it under Windows - you never know!

Ask a Question