720 questions

TomTom Model(s)
Hi all,
I have used a Nav system in my SUV for years. Bought a new car without Nav so bought the 720. I have only had the unit a few days but need some help.
These are my issues to date.

1) How do you turn off a set route, ie cancel guidance?
2) I do not have the "car preferences" button illuminated, why?
3) Has anyone got the data plus working with a RAZR3?
4) Is there a manual?
5) Does the traffic option work ok with the external antenna?
6) I have used the bluetooth a few times and people on the other end say it isn't that clear, anyone else found this?

Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Dave

Dave,

I just bought a 720 as well and will try to answer your questions.

1. To cancel a route go to page three of the Main Menu and tap "Clear route".

2. My Car Preferences icon isn't illuminated either. I'm guessing like Speech Recognition, this is an option currently only available in Europe.

3. In order to get data plus working, you must be a subscriber to an "Internet Plan" through your wireless provider. I have a RAZR3 as well and cannot transmit wireless data without subscribing to T-Mobile's "T-MobileWeb" for an additional $5.99 per month.

4. Currently there is no manual available for the U.S. model, but you can download the U.K. model version which is essentially the same by going to TomTom's website.

5. After doing searches on the external antenna option, I've found most reviewers in the U.S. feel the traffic receiver antenna is worthless. I know in Minneapolis we used to have a radio station dedicated to transmitting traffic information and in the past few years we have changed to "Autobahn style" programmable displays over the freeways used to notify drivers of accidents and delays.

6. I've made several calls at varying speeds and have not had the problem you describe. I would recommend making more calls using the 720. If you continue to have the same problem with every call, it's most likely a problem with the 720. If it only happens once in a while, it's probably being caused by a weak phone signal.

Hope this helps. :)

Tom

Early on I had a couple of people comment on the phone clarity. I've since started keeping the phone (Motorola Razr V3M) closer to the unit, which seems to have resolved it to the satisfaction of most. ;-)

Early on I had a couple of people comment on the phone clarity. I've since started keeping the phone (Motorola Razr V3M) closer to the unit, which seems to have resolved it to the satisfaction of most. ;-)

Phone problems could also be due to the wireless companies being used. Even though we both have Motorola RAZRs, they're actually two different phones.

They may look similar and share the same name, but they have different features and use different networks. Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA networks. T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM networks, which is also what is used in Europe.

There has been speculation that because TomTom is a European company that they design their products to work with phones designed for GSM networks. This could also be a factor for a lot of people.

You're doing the right thing be keeping your phone closer to your TomTom, but that might not completely eliminate the problem. If you continue to have problems, I would call your wireless provider or check TomTom's website to see if your provider offers a phone that is confirmed as compatible with your TomTom.

I've tested the hands free call feature with my T-Mobile RAZR V3 six feet away and still had crystal clear reception.

My mom is about to buy a V3M from Verizon. I'll sync it with my TomTom and post if it has problems.

Ask a Question