720 jukebox problem details

TomTom Model(s)
Since there has not been an app update to fix the jukebox issue I did some experimenting to determine exactly when it happens and what does and does not help.

The problem began with the first application that fixed the studdering issue and is still present in the 8.351 version. After 1 to 2 days the first sign of the issue is that when you turn on the TomTom instead of continuing the last song you were playing, it starts the next song at the same point it left off (usually about half way through the song). The jukebox will display the name of the song it should be playing (the one you had playing when you shut down), but it is playing the next one on the list. Once finished, it will change the displayed the song name to the next song (the one you just heard the end of) and it will start it over from the beginning. After this happens, you have less than a day before the jukebox quits working. It will play either a couple seconds of the song and quit, or not play at all. The only resolution is to push the reset button. Once reset, the Bluetooth will not connect with the phone until you go into setting and disable Bluetooth, and then enable it again. After doing that you have 1-2 days before it happens again.

My setup: TomTom 720. Firmware 8.351, maps 8.35 (upgrading to 8.40 as I type). I had the map and application on a 4gb SDHC, which I changed for a 8gb. I have mp3's in both the internal memory and the card. There are about 1200 mp3's now, but only about 700 when this started. I use Handsfree, and I have the jukebox set to auto start and shuffle songs.

What I have tried:

Going through the mp3 folders and removing all non-mp3 files (like album thumbnails). no effect

Deleting all mp3's and copying them back. no effect

Changing my SD card from a 4gb to an 8gb (in case it was the card). no effect

Deleting the application and re-downloading it. no effect

Adding a traffic receiver. no effect (not that I thought it would effect it).

Switching from FM output to line-out. no effect

Shutting off Bluetooth. This greatly extends the time before the problem happens. With the Bluetooth off it takes about 9 days for the problem to occur.

So this seems to be related to the reported Bluetooth memory leak. hopefully there is an application update in the works for the 720. Now to play with new maps....

Agree with you

You have described my same problem very well.

I also have the GO720 and it seems I need to reset at least once a day in order for jukebox to work.

I have bluetooth turned off and dont' normally use it.

I am of course out of warranty by a few months so I am out of luck on getting a new one.

Version I am using: 8.351
Map (815.2019)

I also removed my Application files and reinstalled. This did not help.

Steve

kd80v, try downgrading to app 8.302 per the instructions here.

You lose directions over FM (music plays fine), but otherwise it is a more stable application.

I had similar problems on my Go 930 Traffic. The TomTom support solution was to run the Clear Flash Tool.

Since running it I have played the jukebox for a good 10-12 hours and so far so good, with no cut-outs or resets needed. Their instructions were as set out below:

STEP 1 - Creating a backup of your map

- Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
- Perform a reset on your device (see: Reset )
- Connect your device to the computer and turn it on
- Open the Home software, go to page 2 and press on the "Manage My Device" (Go, ONE, XL) button.
- Tick your map and press on the "Copy to Computer" button

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your map.

STEP 2 - To perform a Factory Reset please do the following.
Please be aware that you will lose any recent destinations and favourites by doing this - you can make a backup of these first in TomTom HOME by clicking on the button called

Backup & Restore.

? Switch on the unit
? Go to 'Change Preferences' (ensure all menu options are visible)
? Go to the last screen and select 'Reset Factory Settings'
? Select 'Yes'

STEP 3 - Please perform soft reset the device by visiting Reset

STEP 4 Run the Clear Flash tool

- Download the clear flash tool from Clear Flash tool and follow the instructions on this web page.
- Once this has completed, switch your TomTom device off, disconnect it from the Computer and then switch it back on.

STEP 5 Run a Disk Error Check

For details on running a disc error check, please click on Check device memory for errors.

Ask a Question