7.10 map update worth $50?

TomTom Model(s)
I'm one of the unfortunate early adopters of the 720 not eligible for a "latest map guarantee" free update of the 7.05 map to 7.10 since I purchased my device on 8/30.

I tried to talk Tom Tom support into a complimentary upgrade but they consistently refused. They did finally offer me an upgrade for $50. Considering I already overpaid for the 720 - I bought before the current $100 rebate promotion - I'm hesitant to spend any more $$$ for a new map.

I realize that one big advantage of the 7.10 maps is that I could get fully-functioning voice recognition. Any other advantages to the 7.10 maps? Is it worth the $50 to upgrade?

I live in Calgary and did not notice any improvements to the maps. We have some major intersections that are being changed, and the new roads are not on the new map. I really wanted voice recognition, just to be able to play with it. It works, but it gives a fair number of errors. It also seems silly to have to say the city all the time. Probably something I won't use very often.

TomTom really needs to show their maps online like Garmin does. That way you can see the exact coverage for your area and see if wanted improvements have been made before one plunks down $150.

Last edited:
I agree. They should let us preview it before spending the money on a new map, just in case what you are looking for is not on it.

I live in Calgary and did not notice any improvements to the maps. We have some major intersections that are being changed, and the new roads are not on the new map. I really wanted voice recognition, just to be able to play with it. It works, but it gives a fair number of errors. It also seems silly to have to say the city all the time. Probably something I won't use very often.

TomTom really needs to show their maps online like Garmin does. That way you can see the exact coverage for your area and see if wanted improvements have been made before one plunks down $150.

I am from Edmonton here and there is a couple new road thats missing but are on the Garmin map. May I ask you when was those road finish? A year ago or less than that. If its less than a year than I think they should show up on next update however I really dont know, just my wish :rolleyes:

I am from Edmonton here and there is a couple new road thats missing but are on the Garmin map. May I ask you when was those road finish? A year ago or less than that. If its less than a year than I think they should show up on next update however I really dont know, just my wish :rolleyes:

The roads in Calgary are still under construction, although they have traffic on them most of the time. Since they are changing all the time and therefore constantly wrong, I think it would make a lot of sense to just put in their final configuration which is already known.

I have been quite dissappointed in the automatic map update feature. Perhaps I did not read closely enough at the beginning, but I assumed it would mean new roads would be added as they are built. Without this feature map updates are almost useless. They seem to be more of a benefit to TomTom who get constant error correction.

you are so right on that. I know we are doing all the works for TomTom but hopefully our hardwork pay off!! I have a Garmin 760 and it does show more "Roads" than TomTom however its really a boring unit but it does get the job done. ;)

My 30day were over, but i called tomtom explaining him that the maps was out before the end of my 30days and that it was not clearly stated in the box how to get the free maps exept for the "latest maps guaranteed" coupon that wasnt working and it was not shown anywhere that you can get it throught home.... after telling them how dissapointed i was when i discovered it on home and that my 30days were over they gave the maps to me for free !!!

Now i get 710.6xxx with voice recognition working !

Ask a Question