With free update is the new map worth it?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
This is a rephrasing of my first post about maps.

I have a nice working 720 and wonder if downloading my free update in a few days is worth it?

I ask after reading so many troubles folks are having after updating. I've backed up my 720 in two separate places and on TT Home so I feel pretty safe but wonder if the new map is worth it. I have the 710.1584 map and 8.010 software.

GaryfME

My experience is that map updates aren't usually the problem. Navcore updates seem to cause a lot of issues. But you've already upgraded to the most recent Navcore version.

Just do a full backup through Home and through Windows Explorer (including your map files) and then get your free map upgrade. If everything goes to hell then you've got your backup nice and ready.

Also if you are on the 30-day free update, wait until near the end of the 30 days. You never know when the next maps will come out and you can only use the free update once.

I had no problems after downloading the new map. it simply replaced the one I had. It is important to backup your old map first because all of your favorites and loaded pois will disappear once the new map is loaded. Simply switch the mapsettings.cfg and add your pois to the new map folder and you are good to go.

Ask a Question