TomTom 130S Freezing Up after cancelled Map Update

Hi,
I bought a refurb 130S recently and after some confusion over the Latest Map Guarantee downloaded the newest Maps via Tom Tom home as it said I could download them for free. Little did I know I'd have to pay 80 dollars for the activation code (more than I paid for the unit!). I decided to remove them and restore my old maps that I had backed up. That's where all the trouble began. I can't get the thing to operate correctly. With the original navcore that it came with, it gets to the actual GPS screen but doesn't display the map properly and locks up or if I update to the newest navcore, it will usually freeze up at the "I Agree" screen and then get stuck in a reboot cycle. I've read countless threads, tried clearflash, formatting, restoring my backup not via TomTom Home (though it was made from TomTom home on my Mac so not sure that would help any) and I'm stumped. TomTom support has thus far not been very helpful and I have a big roadtrip planned starting on 10/2 and don't have any other GPS unit. Any thoughts? What's weird is I can get the unit to boot up properly with no map installed without freezing which leads me to think perhaps the backup of my original maps got corrupted?

Like I said I'm a total newb but have spent the better part of two days trying to fix it and I'm at a loss and not sure I'll get the unit fixed by my roadtrip so I could really use any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!

Have you tried formatting the unit and then reinstalling the application and then restoring the map?

If you downloaded the new map, then something's strange. If indeed you need to pay for a new map, then the payment PRECEDES the download not after...............

Have you tried formatting the unit and then reinstalling the application and then restoring the map?

If you downloaded the new map, then something's strange. If indeed you need to pay for a new map, then the payment PRECEDES the download not after...............

Honestly I'm not sure what went on but it downloaded the map FIRST and then told me I had to activate it. When I downloaded it, it clearly said "you can download this for free". I didn't have a code so I tried to revert back and that's when the issues began.

I got a response back from the TomTom folks though and they walked me through clearing out two of my TomTom Home folders and then they let me download my original maps again via TomTom Home. Installed all that and Viola, everything is working fine again!

Definitely going to make a full backup NOT with TomTom home now though. Do I need to do anything special to get all the files on a Mac or is that only applicable to windows boxes?

Glad they were able to get it fixed as I really do love the unit and the size/mount especially for the $76 it cost me.

Using Finderwill take careof all the necessary files to my understanding. Only PC users need worry about showing hidden files/folders.

Ask a Question