510 locking up after upgrade

TomTom Model(s)
go 510
My 510 just got the new upgrade and now it locks up when searching the POI file. I get a frozen screen and the the unit reboots. this happens every time I use the search feature!

Which upgrade, firmware? And, if so, is it 7.9?

Many have reported issues with that version.

Try a pin reset.

Reset does not work. . .I tried to delete and re-install the software but then the unit couldn't find the map (the map was there!??). I then did a restore on the thing so now it finds the map no problem but still locks up when I use the search feature!! I bought a 330 xls and threw the GO 510 in a drawer!

Unless you really wanted a new unit, take the 510 out of the drawer and fix it. Even it you wish to stay with the newer unit, you could still sell it on eBay.

If you still have application 7.9 on it, use Home to remove it. Then search the forum for the site that has older applications (I forgot the link name), and download 7.161 (unless you hade alreDY saved it to your computer). By re-nstalling that application, you should be back where you were with everything working as before.

Just stay away from 7.9 until posters here indicate it is working OK.

Thanks!
Tom Tom released 7.903 but that still has the same bug!! I unstalled 7.161 (thanks for the link) and that fixed it. I have a 330XLS which is OK but has a very limited memory and the display seems really washed-out. So I purchased a 920 and I am very happy with it. The 510 will go back in the drawer for the time being but I'm glad I got it going with you help!!:D

how do i use this?

Location of older versions of firmware can be found here.

i'm having lock-up issues as well. i know how to uninstall. how do i use this .cab file to install onto the tomtom one le? thanks! the lock up is irritating. happened while i was searching for Wal-mart. maybe it's just a conspiracy. :D

Backup your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing. With the dl cab file, uncompress the contents and overwrite the files/folders in the unit with those in the cab file.

Backup your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing. With the dl cab file, uncompress the contents and overwrite the files/folders in the unit with those in the cab file.

thanks! i'll try that! :)

update

thanks! i'll try that! :)

i thought i'd let everyone know an update. so i downgraded the firmware to 7.166 i believe. at first i lost gps signal for over 3 days. i did some investigating and did a reset to default settings (in the unit itself...not pressing the reset button).

after that, i got back my gps signals. just in case someone else runs into this problem with gps signals...:)

hope they fix the firmware!

i thought i'd let everyone know an update. so i downgraded the firmware to 7.166 i believe. at first i lost gps signal for over 3 days. i did some investigating and did a reset to default settings (in the unit itself...not pressing the reset button).

after that, i got back my gps signals. just in case someone else runs into this problem with gps signals...:)

hope they fix the firmware!

Did you mean 7.161 ? Clear-flash might have fixed it also. I had reinstalled 7.161 many times after experimenting with different apps, and I sometimes had to do that.

7.161 is real stable, so you should be Ok until the next upgrade you attempt. Then, who knows with TomTom these days....

Did you mean 7.161 ? Clear-flash might have fixed it also. I had reinstalled 7.161 many times after experimenting with different apps, and I sometimes had to do that.

7.161 is real stable, so you should be Ok until the next upgrade you attempt. Then, who knows with TomTom these days....

hi gaw! i downloaded the one from the links available within these posts. the only 7.xxx that was available was 7.166. i did go to the tomtom website recently and did notice it's only supposed to be for the 3rd edition (didn't realize this when i first copied things over). i have the LE, which i have been told is technically the 2nd edition.

but as far as i can tell, my tomtom works fine. should i be worried? should i go to 7.161? if so, where can i get 7.161?

thanks for the advice! as you can tell, even though i use tomtom, i definitely consider myself a n00b! :p

on a personal note, happy holidays to everyone here! tomtom forums is great for n00bs like me!!!

hi gaw! i downloaded the one from the links available within these posts. the only 7.xxx that was available was 7.166. i did go to the tomtom website recently and did notice it's only supposed to be for the 3rd edition (didn't realize this when i first copied things over). i have the LE, which i have been told is technically the 2nd edition.

but as far as i can tell, my tomtom works fine. should i be worried? should i go to 7.161? if so, where can i get 7.161?

thanks for the advice! as you can tell, even though i use tomtom, i definitely consider myself a n00b! :p

on a personal note, happy holidays to everyone here! tomtom forums is great for n00bs like me!!!

oops! also forgot to mention that i did the clear flash but didn't help at all.

There was a link to a UK site (oldboy something) that is not working right now.

The 7.161 was specifically for x10 series TomToms. However, if you unit is working OK with the different application, i would leave well enough alone. I had also used 7.162, which was for another model, and it worked fine also.

If it ain't broke.....................

Link works for me. Try here

yes this is the link i grabbed 7.166 from. and i can confirm that all is well on my tomtom one LE.

tomtom home has never tried to put back 7.903. is that correct? not that i want it since it crashed my device, but i guess i want to make sure i get the newest firmware if/when it becomes available. is there a way to check or force a new firmware?

yes this is the link i grabbed 7.166 from. and i can confirm that all is well on my tomtom one LE.

tomtom home has never tried to put back 7.903. is that correct? not that i want it since it crashed my device, but i guess i want to make sure i get the newest firmware if/when it becomes available. is there a way to check or force a new firmware?

No, but you could probably find it on a download site (or ask in the forum). Unless tjhey pulled it, i am surprised that it has not popped up when you are on home and tell it to update your device - UNLESS - with the mismatched app on your device, it possibly thinks you are on a dead-ended device and not a 510.

Ask a Question