340 vs 630 Hardware

Between the XL 340 and GO 630 I'm trying to establish the RAM quantity, CPU MHZ and internal memory size.

I've been searching the internet and havent been able to find anything that is fact. The 330 (from my searching) has 32meg of RAM, 233 MHZ CPU with 1gb of internal memory. The 340 has 2gb of internal memory and with IQR and ALG I would ASSUME a 400mhz CPU with 64 meg of ram however I dont have proof of that.

From what I've read the 630 has 400mhz CPU, 64meg of ram, and ? internal memory....

Anyway I was hoping someone knew 100% what was in the 340 and 630 as far as CPU, RAM, and storage memory were...

Thanks in advance...

PS. I'm looking into new GPS device, and although it may make NO difference I'm a little bit of a guru/geek and appreciate extra processing power, and more RAM even if they dont directly effect the operation of said units... :) :)

Thanks theparson. I think its "safe" to assume that all the IQR models use 400 mhz CPU's with 64 ram then.

As much as I try to like the higher end models (I dont mind paying more for more) they dont offer anything the XL 340does that I would find useful. Being in AV at one point in my life I absolutely hate FM transmitters, I dont have a blue tooth phone, text to speech would drive me nuts when pronouncing road names incorrectly, I dont need more the 2gb internal memory so I dont need an SD card slot, etc etc.

Only thing I would like about the 630 is voice recognition for address input. But I cant justify the price difference for that single feature.

Is there anything I'm missing that would make the GO models (any of them) worth my money?

So I guess I'll turn this into a new question. Aside from what I mentioned, what makes the GO model Tomtom "better" then the XL? Maybe menu features I dont know about? Tomtom is somewhat "vague" when listing all there models can and cant do? Even better would be a link to a up to date list of features with the models on the top and a yes or no for each feature....

Thanks again for any input....

I stumbled across this. It kind of answers my first question.

TomTom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List the Tomtom device and the CPU MHZ, Ram, internal storage. I'm assuming by looking at that list the 340 would have a 266mhz processor. All the new GO models use the 400mhz CPU.

I realize there probably isnt much of a functionality difference however I've heard of people having lag or jittering when there is too much going on due to the CPU speed (dont know how true that is) so it would make sense to get the fastest processor you can.

With Tomtom's attack on the competition their prices are hard too beat right now. I'm scared they will go back up. Tomtom has the GO 730 for 249 on their webpage. Not too shabby considering a comparable GPS from Garmin would be at least 350 and even then its still barely comparable IMO....

- The 340 comes with a better map than the 630, includes Mexico but most importantly it includes the full POI listing from the 900 Tomtom series.
- The 630 has voice address input, bluetooth handsfree/data (but no PLUS traffic), compatability with a bluetooth remote, and an sdhc slot
- Both have 64 mb of ram, I'm also not sure of the CPU (don't know whether to trust wikipedia on this)

Beware that the POIs are big. You'll be using up nearly all of the 2GB with map 830 on an XL340. So there would be some concerns with the 2GB's unexpandability.

Well I'm not too concerned about the memory. When I update the map it would the USA only map regardless of the GPS. And POI's are irrelevant too me, I've had them off (not removed just off) on my 330 for months. I just need emergency POI's, police, garages with towing, etc.

Also I would not get the TTS model of the 340, just because I dont like TTS not only have I read plenty of accounts of it stuttering on here but since road names are NAMES its very difficult to pronouns them correctly. That would just annoy me, a lot. I would disable that if I got a GO model...

Regardless with the 340 that would save even more space. I'd estimate I'd have a ~1gig of free space and no need for expansion.

This is why it came down to hardware.

However after reading up on the GO models I think I'll just wait. It seems like half the features dont work right and there are all sorts of bandaids. My 330 has been rock solid and never given me any problems (probably due to its lack of features :) ) . So I'll just wait for a few more application updates or some new latest and greatest feature in the GPS world... :)

Last edited:
The stuttering problem as such has been pretty much resolved with the latest application updates.

As far as mispronouncing names.......

Yep, the computer voices are not perfect in some cases but let me provide a point of view.

The gps is supposed to assist the driver in getting from point A to point B. I like the TTS because, in an unknown area to me, if the computer doesn't pronounce the street name properly, chances are that neither would I.

Consequently, I can STILL relate to what the computer voice is saying and, as a consequence, I find the TTS to be of assistance to me.

I can still remember driving in Australia with a non TTS TomTom unit and found the experience not as good as when I use my 720 with TTS.

Just my point of view ............

When I update the map it would the USA only map regardless of the GPS. And POI's are irrelevant too me, I've had them off (not removed just off) on my 330 for months. I just need emergency POI's, police, garages with towing, etc.

The 340 comes preloaded with a single USA/Canada/Mexico combined map. And combined POIs. If you want USA-only or emergency-only, you'd actually have to pay to downgrade the map.

IQroutes would be your only reason to upgrade. For me, IQroutes directions are so much better that I ignore the $2000 Honda nav that is installed in my car.

The stuttering problem as such has been pretty much resolved with the latest application updates.

As far as mispronouncing names.......

Yep, the computer voices are not perfect in some cases but let me provide a point of view.

The gps is supposed to assist the driver in getting from point A to point B. I like the TTS because, in an unknown area to me, if the computer doesn't pronounce the street name properly, chances are that neither would I.

Consequently, I can STILL relate to what the computer voice is saying and, as a consequence, I find the TTS to be of assistance to me.

I can still remember driving in Australia with a non TTS TomTom unit and found the experience not as good as when I use my 720 with TTS.

Just my point of view ............

Here is my point of view behind it. First off computer generated TTS is fine, however names dont abide by any sort of English laws (not there is a lot anyway). So is Juniata St, June-ee-ata, no its Won-neata....

Now it would annoy me if it got that wrong, which it would. But on the flip side if I've never been down Juniata St and it pronounced it properly I would drive right by it looking for a Woneata St :) .

And besides that if I dont know where I am, I obviously dont know the road names. Even when I do know where I am I usually dont know the road names. So turn left in 100 yards is just as useful as turn left on Dhn Rd in 100 yards. Not only that the only time I could picture myself finding it helpful would be in Baltimore, MD in the narrow city streets. However Baltimore in the infinite wisdom seems to place road signs in areas that are difficult to quickly find (ie. on the side of a building, top of a pole, behind 10 other signs, no sign at all, torn down, etc)...

My main concern was the stuttering but as you mentioned apparently the problems are all taken care off. If I dont find it useful I can always disable it. However maybe I'll love it and use it all the time...

The 340 comes preloaded with a single USA/Canada/Mexico combined map. And combined POIs. If you want USA-only or emergency-only, you'd actually have to pay to downgrade the map.

IQroutes would be your only reason to upgrade. For me, IQroutes directions are so much better that I ignore the $2000 Honda nav that is installed in my car.

Well my plan would be too get the GPS, use the 30 day free map (I would plan the purchase after a map update so I get the latest map). Then I would wait for the next map too come out. Once that happens I couldnt get the subscription plan without purchasing a new map anyway, so I would downgrade to USA only with the subscription service...

Its cheaper and like I said I dont travel outside the US. If I do its in a rental car or on a cruise for vacation...

I have two dilemmas. First off I have a subscription service for my current GPS that I dont want too waste. I'm waiting to here back from TomTom to see if they can prorate me for the maps I havent used, or add them too a new GPS account...

Second my girlfriend bought me my current GPS during a time when she didnt have enough money to buy me something like that. Blah blah sentimental bs. I doubt she was realize/remember the difference and probably think a 340 model is the same she bought me, however I would know....

Therefore I'm probably going to be at least waiting until my map subscription expires.....

You may be surprised by Tomtom pricing:

If you keep USA_CAN_MEX

$0 (LMG) USA_CAN_MEX 825 -> USA_CAN_MEX 835:
$12 USA_CAN_MEX 835 -> USA_CAN_MEX 840 (discount with map subscription)
$48 USA_CAN_MEX subscription (845 to 860)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
$60 Total

If you do your plan:
$0 (LMG) USA_CAN_MEX 825 -> USA_CAN_MEX 835
$60 USA_CAN_MEX 835 -> USA 840
$40 USA subscription (845 to 860)
$100 Total

Also, it doesn't appear that Tomtom sells the USA-only map to any devices with IQroutes. I don't think they make a non-IQroutes version of it. You'd be forced to do the following for the smallest map:

$0 (LMG) USA_CAN_MEX 825 -> USA_CAN_MEX 835
$90 USA_CAN_MEX 835 -> North America 2GB 840
$48 North America 2GB subscription (845 to 860)
$138 Total

Ok a couple more questions for the pros that I've been investigating...

Some of my maps are "modified" to fit my 1gb XL 330. This would mean too me that if I had more storage space I would get an "unmodified" version which I would imagine would be better.

Example the map available for my XL 330 for USA & Mexico is 816 meg. If I get on TomTom's website and pretend I have a 2gb model the USA & Mexico map is 1522 meg.

Also for my device I have the option for a USA only map. However I dont see that being available for the 2gig models. You can get different districts of the USA but not a seamless entire USA map.

Here are my questions....

1. What is "modified" about the 1gb maps, are the 2gb maps noticeably better?

2. Can someone with a 2gb model that lives in the USA verify that there is no USA only map?

Sorry about these newbie questions but my next GPS is going to be well researched before buying it. Thanks in advance...

mvl : Somehow you answered my question before I asked it, quite impressive so thank you....

Here is the thing, and I referred too it in my first question. I dont want a crunched watered down map that modified esp. if it includes places I never visit. Your pricing idea makes much more sense then my idea but I definitely prefer quality over quantity....

Obviously something is being lost, just not sure what it is....

When TT removes stuff to make a map 'fit' a certain size, it is not on road info that is removed. Rather, details like rivers and other geography are dumbed down, curves in roads are made somewhat straighter, some 3d building data is dimished........things like that.

When TT removes stuff to make a map 'fit' a certain size, it is not on road info that is removed. Rather, details like rivers and other geography are dumbed down, curves in roads are made somewhat straighter, some 3d building data is dimished........things like that.

Interesting. So the maps are "prettier". Those are things I rather have instead of countries I dont visit.

That made this decision easier and more difficult. The smallest unmodified map that includes the USA is the USA & Mexico map for the 4gb devices. It seems the US is only offered one 4gb device which is the TT Go 930 and 930T. Since it has a 4gb storage capacity I might as well use the unmodified North American map...

The decision is easier because I only really have one model to choose from. It got more difficult because its one of the most expensive models.

dhn and mvl, what do you guys think about the 930 model? I've heard rumors of the 940, is it worth waiting for? If not do you think me waiting for it would see a decrease in the price of the current 930?

I'm just not sure you'll see the 940 in NA anytime soon. Just my opinion.

I think the 930 is a nice device and, if you can find a 920 around at a good price because it 'converts' to a 930 with application update and current map.

Well once again I appreciate the expert opinions/facts from dhn and mvl on this forum...

Apparently Tomtom cant/wont prorate my map subscription (not surprised wouldnt have expected them too) because of the term and agreements I agreed too (that thing you dont read when downloading stuff haha).

So I'm going to hang onto the 330 until the map subscription expires.

I wish I had IQRoutes since I use this thing daily to goto places I've never been before but then again I get paid hourly so technically a bad route is actually making me money. Once it expires or if the device dies before then I'm going to be looking into the 9xx models.

On the down side I will sometimes find myself on a logging trail in PA. This will anger me too no end since if I get stuck in mud I'll be paying for the tow which will cost as much as 2 brand new GO 930's. Luckily I've been able to back out of bad routes in PA. I'm sure IQR would help tremendously in that circumstance...

However waiting isnt all bad with the technology expanding by leaps and bounds. I can only imagine what vehicle GPS's will be like a year from now. If I were to upgrade now I'm sure I would want to upgrade 6 months from now again when something new comes out...Also there are a few features I would LOVE to see in Tomtom devices that they dont offer yet....

1. Search by street name of ANY city like Garmin has, this would be VERY useful to me as my dispatch service is unreliable to say the least.
2. A faster screen refresh rate. This Pacman crap is getting old.
3. UPDATES THAT DONT FIX THINGS BUT MESS UP OTHER THINGS!!!

Since I have this thread started and it was originally about hardware I'm curious about GPS chipsets. I've been researching everything I can. I've read good things about the sirf starIII then I saw a comparison test. It was comparing Global Locates Hammerhead to the Sirf StarIII. The hammerhead came out on top as far as accuracy and reception goes. However sirf star III had the benefit of not utilizing the CPU of the GPS (it used its own CPU) therefore (in theory) making the device operating faster. The Hammerhead in my XL uses the Tomtom's CPU + adds 1gb of internal storage.

Thoughts on this? It seems my XL is using the Hammerhead chipset, while the 930 uses the starIII (from my understanding). I dont know what to think about this. The comparison I read (cant find it right now but can if you guys havent seen it) had the Hammerhead on top but not by much I would think they would be very comparable esp. with ETP, Plus the StarIII isnt utilizing the 930's 400mhz CPU as much which is cool because that give the GPS more power to do its own stuff...

Anyway, I'm not trying to drag this thread on but I find it very educational. So far I've converted my entire company to Tomtom's with IQroutes and I'm the only dope that doesnt own one. And opposite of popular opinion NAVTEQ isnt that great. The last guy at my company I talked into getting a Tomtom had a BRAND NEW Garmin 760 (VERY NICE) but he didnt have ANY of the new neighborhoods we worked in (which TeleAtlas does) hes been very happy with the upgrade to a 930....

Just to throw more options into the mix:

I see no evidence that roads in the NA map have changed any vs the NA_2GB. Other than the much smaller POI files, the NA_2GB map is only about 2% smaller than the NA map.

Similarly, I've seen no difference between the the USA_Canada_and_Mexico map and North_America map in terms of road detail or POI.

The reason the USA/Can/Mex map has a chance at all to fit on a 130s/340s is that the huge voice recognition files are stripped since no models in the ONE/XL line have a microphone.

You can buy ($99) the USA/Can/Mex map for the 720 ($129 refurb at Newegg) and it should fit fine on an external SD. So you're getting everything a 930 has except the remote and the EPT.

And you realize the map subscription is $4 per month, right? No reason in my opinion to stop you from buying a new model.

Thanks mvl...

Now that I know what makes the maps smaller I've been noticing TONS of differences (keep in mind I have a 850meg USA/Canada map). I'll sometimes pop off the road because its curving more severely then my map is showing (Tollgate Rd, Bel Air, MD). And I notice I dont have relatively large creeks, ponds, rivers (Darlington Rd, Darlington, MD)...

Next device I buy will have the priority to have the largest storage space available.

The 930 is the only Tomtom device that receives an unsimplified NA map.

I drive a lot in Baltimore city and the GPS will get very confused sometimes so EPT would be a benefit too. Plus I'll get a call while in route so voice address input would be very useful (less hazardous).

Needless to say I'll be picking up a TT GO 930 in the not so distant future...

Ask a Question