1535TM questions

I can't help but wonder if the navigation companies aren't focusing more on cellphone applications for their products. Most of my friends use their cells to navigate.

There's certainly a lot of activity in that space. TomTom has had their apps out for a while, and Garmin has their StreetPilot app (though oddly, only for iPhone and Windows phones -- nothing for Android yet???). That said, we have an ongoing argument about use models and interfaces here, even behind the scenes.

I am not (yet) a fan of TomTom's user interface for smart phones. I find their Android screen presentation poor in comparison to any of their standalone units - even the oldest ones. For me, the use of space, fonts, and overall layout on the smart phones still don't work for me. I'll use the TomTom app when walking or looking for something when I'm stationary, but not for driving.

For starters, even on my Galaxy Nexus with it's (relatively) large high res screen, the map area is only 5.7cm x 7.0cm due to the layout. For me, it just doesn't stand up in visibility vs. the 5" screen units, and compared to the newer 6" screens like my Via 1605, there's no contest. I'm guessing that your 'my friends' are all still awaiting their first pair of glasses. Getting older sucks! When having to manipulate the screen while driving to change routing or add a via, I still find the standalone units easier to manage.

The advantage of the app vs. standalone is connectivity -- for a little while, at least. TomTom has in recent years depended upon internal GPRS cell modems in their Live units. The cost of the extra hardware and the cost TomTom incurs with the cellular providers is certainly passed along to the end user. Further, the GPRS system can be hit and miss for service at times (depends upon an AT&T 2G signal).

However, all but one the newest TomTom 'Nav4' units (still MIA in North America) use the owner's own cell phone connection to move the data. That accomplishes a number of things... First, connectivity in any given area is a function of whatever the end user knows about reception where he travels and the resulting choice in provider. One assumption is that, not being stuck with just AT&T and a dying 2G service, the end user can make intelligent decisions about a service provider based upon local conditions and plan prices. Since the data load for traffic & etc. isn't all that bad, most end users won't feel any pinch from the service, and have more control over the quality of service they get from the carrier.

Last edited:
Darn straight. Like I posted on another thread, I was looking at the 1605 because of my increasingly diminishing close up vision. If it gets any worse, TomTom's going to have to come out with a Via 1X2- that is, a 1 meter by 2 meter screen...

As to the cost, what's weird is that at Amazon and Costco the GO 1535 is $20-40 cheaper on average than a Via 1535. I suspect the major sticking point on the GO is buyer's hesitation to get a unit that needs a subscription. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a GO with no subscription to Services, you essentially have a Via with a bunch of inactive menu selections? I mean, the GO doesn't use the modem et al for anything but downloading Service information, does it?

I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules, but here's something fun for the TomTom fan. When I was mulling over Garmin vs TomTom, I flipped through several videos as I REALLY wanted the Garmin 2557LMT (I plan on getting its replacement soon just to try a Garmin), but needed something to sway me back to TomTom. I found this video comparison of Iphone Aps made by both companies. There's no need to watch the whole video, but here's the interesting part: watch at 5:25. The fellow needs to turn right. The TomTom gives him a simple right turn. The Garmin for some reason wants him to go to the next block, turn right, turn right again and then turn left to get onto a street he's already at even though it clearly shows a connection from his stopping point to the point he will rejoin the street!o_O The reviewer ignores the Garmin, but doesn't say anything about the discrepancy:

As I say, I hope this doesn't violate any rules. Just delete it if it does, and my apologies! Bill.

Last edited:
As to the cost, what's weird is that at Amazon and Costco the GO 1535 is $20-40 cheaper on average than a Via 1535. I suspect the major sticking point on the GO is buyer's hesitation to get a unit that needs a subscription. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a GO with no subscription to Services, you essentially have a Via with a bunch of inactive menu selections? I mean, the GO doesn't use the modem et al for anything but downloading Service information, does it?
That's correct. The GO comes with a trial subscription, but once that has expired, the features are pretty much identical to the Via. What you'd want to watch is any suffix on the model, since a "T" model gets you an RDS traffic receiver that can be used in lieu of the Live traffic service on the GO, and is the only way to get traffic on the Via. So a GO 1535 TM provides two different ways of getting traffic. Down where I am, the Live service provides info on a great many more streets (the RDS is only good for major highways and the like), so my preference has been to stick with Live, especially since the service was radically improved for both coverage and accuracy last December.

Last edited:
I do like the Services, too. I decided to subscribe for a year and by then I'll have sussed everything out regarding whether to keep it or no. The thing is, I figure whether the HD is useful everyday or not, when it does come time to hit an accident or construction, it ought to pay for itself (remind me to tell you about the day I spent 4 years in Asheville, N.C. ...).

Nice room at the Biltmore, was it? :D

Anyone who is noticing faster route calculation on OLDER models...
Check to see if you have IQ Routing on the newer one and not on the old, as that makes a huge difference to the time taken to calculate or re-calculate.

On some models with IQ Routing, you can try switching it off to see if it makes a big difference (either by disabling it in the menu or by choosing any route type other than "fastest").

It's a good guess, but as to my TomToms, both have the IQ. I will say that as far as I can tell, my XL does recalculate noticeably faster than my GO. I tried them both and if I pass a recommended turn, the XL almost immediately (I figure2-5 seconds- I'm driving! ;) ) gives me a new route with no prompts to U-turn. The GO first says "Turn around when possible" and if you continue past the turn, it jumbles a bit on the map (either impossible routes or what appears to be multiple routes superimposed), then either the icon is driving against the route until a new route appears, or a new route simply occurs.

I'm not in on the behind the scenes at TomTom, but honestly, I have to believe that TT has been tweaking the algorithms which control route planning, and not necessarily in a good way. I have been liking the GO, but honestly, I think this is my last TomTom. Just the other day, I was loading the new map on my XL. I figure the Microsoft thing really blindsided them, because Home was PERFECT. I loaded some favorites onto the XL -INSIDE the program. I really miss being able to access the device while it's plugged into the computer. Map updates and entering favorites went flawlessly on Home and the XL.

Contrast: This morning I updated my GO with the small GPS and Map correction updates. When MyTomTom was finished and closed, it then informed me that another update was available. So, I reconnected the device only to be told there were no updates. Turns out that MyTomTom was corrupted (this on a year-old Lenovo which is meticulously defragged and cleaned regularly). So I reinstalled the MyTT software. Problem fixed. Sigh...

I'm not a troll or angry, just a disappointed and frustrated TomTom customer.

Last edited:
Understood. We all feel your frustration here as moderators, since we've all owned Nav2 units and have spent lots of time with the Nav3 replacements. Honestly, my favorite is still my old GO 740, but I never trusted Home for things like backups, and we always had to be concerned about losing our maps unless we had backups or map subscriptions. Still, those improvements don't outweigh the features we've lost, or the changes in performance.

That said, and regarding performance, one thing you may not yet have experienced is the speed with which the Nav3 units will calculate routes for LONG trips. Plan a trip from Virginia to somewhere on the west coast with both units, and I think you'll be amazed at how much faster your GO 1535 routes the trip. TomTom has, with Nav3, begun to incorporate some 'pre-planning' information in their map sets that does a very good job of predicting quickest routing over many long, known stretches of road. You no longer see the old 3 million roads checked business on plans like that!

I've got a 600 mile (one way) trip next month to placate my elderly sister. :eek: The route passes through 2 large cities and a couple of nasty interchanges. I've never been that route, so I suppose this will be my acid test for the GO. It's been okay hereabouts, but I've noticed that it keeps posting a problem with the Traffic server. Cutting it off and restarting it resets the connection apparently.

This week I had to put in some high school locations for away football games so that my younger sister could travel to them. I'm letting her use the XL as frankly, I don't trust the GO because one of the destinations is in a fairly isolated area for a young woman traveling alone and if it locks up she may not know what to do.

The GO does indeed plan trips well. One question: how many days can it go without a GPS Quickfix before performance is degraded? I hate to take my laptop with me if I can avoid it, so I won't be able to update for 4 days.

I need to check out the GO 740.

Thanks, Bill.

The Go LIVE receives updated gpsquickfix files over the air that provide an almanac of satellite locations for the next 4 days.

Bill, as a 'safety net', why not use Google maps to determine a route from the starting location to the location of the high school and then print out the route instructions so she can have them in the car. Still use the gps as a first source...........

To clarify, when David says "over the air" he means via the device's Live connection. Every time you have it up and running, it will pull down new satellite information as needed. That's one of the other benefits of Live devices ... like the 740. However, understand that the 740 hasn't been sold in quite some time now, and finding a new one should be impossible, though you never know where one might turn up. Beyond that, you'd be looking at a used one. If you go used, DO be sure to get the registration information from the prior owner so that you can continue to receive the lifetime map updates for free.

Sweet! I thought I had read something about Services having a Quickfix, but then my GO downloads QFs every morning via MyTT, so I wasn't sure.

That's a good idea on the maps. The area to which she is traveling is unfamiliar to her. I figure- knowing my younger sister- she'll mess up with the XL, look for the maps and remember that she used them as napkins at the McDonald's 50 miles back...:oops: I may end up going with her, but here's a kicker: I know her school must have picked this school because it's small and underfunded and it looked like easy pickings win-wise. So, if I go I may sit on THEIR side of the field (I don't like football, so somebody will have to show me) just to cheer them on! :D My niece is a varsity cheerleader so if I do it may be a LONG ride back...

Quite honestly, I have no fear of the XL's performance. It left the warm fuzzy feeling which swayed me to buy another TT over the Garmin 2557LMT with RealVoice. The XL has never once acted up since I got it the year it was introduced- never frozen, never once given a wrong command as best I can recall. Interestingly, neither TT or Mapquest could find the school's exact address. I programmed the XL to go to the junction of two roads just beyond the high school. It's out in the boonies, so they'd have to be truly not paying attention to miss it out in the field!

Gracias!

When you own a Live unit, the purpose of the MyTT Quickfix is a backup in the event that, for some reason, you remain outside an AT&T 2G service area for some length of time. The same applies to other services like fuel, though with prices jumping around, having those daily over the air is a real plus.

As for sitting on the other side, if you know her school colors, it will be pretty obvious when you get there, though you may have a pretty cold ride home if you get caught!

Ask a Question