1505TM vs 540TM

TomTom Model(s)
I am a long time user of TomTom, currently with a 540TM. I need to buy another unit for my daughter. It seems that the 1505TM is supposed to be the direct replacement for the 540TM, but I have some concerns.

• I have not read very promising things about MyTomTom.
  • Apparently, you don't have direct access to the file system, which wouldn't allow me to correct mispronunciations.
  • There are some features that the 1505 lacks, such as itineraries. I could live without itineraries, but it makes me think there are other things missing.
Amazingly enough, they appear to be the same price, around $105-115 on Amazon. Surprising given that TomTom no longer markets the 540TM.

Any thoughts?

I also read on another thread that the Live traffic is more accurate than RDS-TMC. Is that true? Would a LIVE version be better for accurate traffic?

LIVE traffic normally is more accurate and current than rds-tmc traffic. It covers side streets, not just main highways the way rds traffic does. And it's available anywhere you have a cellphone signal, unlike the rds-tmc which disappears outside of a fm signal.

You are quite right in the observations you've made about the 1505 (or any model on the Navcore 10.x platform, all of which require the MyTomTom web app and not Home 2, like your 540 does.

Here's a feature chart for more specs on TT models:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t21826-tomtom-model-feature-reference-updated-11-2-2011-a.html

Thanks for the quick response. So is the general feeling that one should stick with Navcore 9, i.e., the 540?
Any new announcements expected from TomTom that would be worth waiting for?

One other thing I remembered reading is that the 1505 does not yet support Map Share. How can they come out with a new model that has fewer features than the older discontinued model?

There doesn't seem to be a LIVE version that is somewhat equivalent to the 540. Am I missing it? The 340 LIVE is close, but only has a 4.3 screen.

Don't know why the newer models have reduced functionality. It's frustrating.

I know this thread is dated. As the owner of both, I would stay with.the 9 Navcore models. I have personally watched a Via (more than one) on many occasions take longer than 15 minutes to lock on to the sats. And yes the Via has been reset and updated. I hope TomTom is feverishly working on a solution to this. If not, they should be. It doesn't really matter to me about not being able to access the file system on the Via. It is sort of accessible on a Linux machine. I just want it to work reliably.

GPS acquisition issues with the newer models that took place from the end of March were finally resolved, if that is what you were seeing. I assume your 1505 firmware is fully updated now?

Ask a Question