tomtom 1505TM - No maps after update

Brand new, went to update as per instructions... now it doesn't have a map in gps and the my tomtom on taskbar says it is up to date. Talking to support we reset cashe and tried another 5 hour downlaod to no avail. So I called back and they said to take it back to the store and get a different gps, they have no more trouble shooting for this model. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
And sadly that is precisely the reason why so many of us do not look upon the 2X or Via models with any sense of comfort; namely, there is no access to the file system on the models.

As a consequrence, there is precious little that can be done to rectify errors such as that.

Yes, you have to return it, I'm afraid.

If you haven't returned it yet, call back and ask for level 2 support.

They can run a remote cleanout script on your device, and set up a new map download.

It appears that the first line phone reps are unaware of this capability right now.

thanks, will try this tomorrow.

(have now tried several more times to get this corrected, still no map in gps - guess this is last resort before shipping it back to amazon for a differnet model or a garmin. the supervisor at tomtom support I spoke to suggested an XXL instead of a via)

thanks, will try this tomorrow.

(have now tried several more times to get this corrected, still no map in gps - guess this is last resort before shipping it back to amazon for a differnet model or a garmin. the supervisor at tomtom support I spoke to suggested an XXL instead of a via)

Talked to tomtom customer support this morning, they will not transfer me to level 2 support. They have me trying again to download the map using a different port connection. So here we wait again... 5 more hours to download. Interesting that the memory usage under "manage my content" page shows used 3GB, unused .63GB, my guess is this has something to do with maps not installing, there is no space. They are still suggesting that I return item for another, hard to do when I purchased through Amazon. Geez, will another do the same thing? I am thinking yes based on my experience and readings others with problems. If I return this it will not be for a tomtom. Another issue is that they are very hard to understand, there English is very broken.

I have drawn attention to your issue to a contact at TomTom Headquarters. Maybe something can be done next week.......

thanks

I have drawn attention to your issue to a contact at TomTom Headquarters. Maybe something can be done next week.......

Thank you! We will be on our trip next week (without a gps) but will try to check in here a couple times.

I have also posted in the tomtom discussion forum but have heard nothing.

What firewall or Anti-Virus software is running on your PC? - Mike

Firewall and antivirus have been disabled the whole time I tried downloading.

I keep telling them it is downloading into the cache on my pc fine, it is freezing and error messages during the install of that file onto the gps. (I believe the gps does not have room for the file becasue of crap that is on there. I noted the used and availbale space on unit above. Yet gps says "no maps found".)

At this point, I am concerened about if I get this up and going again in a week or two what happens when I try to update the map in the future? I traded in a garmin for this and I am now disapponted that I did.

Interesting that the memory usage under "manage my content" page shows used 3GB, unused .63GB, my guess is this has something to do with maps not installing, there is no space.
The process happens in two steps. The first is that the content is retrieved from the TT server and stored on your PC. The second step is that the content is copied from your PC to your device. It sounds like the download has been going OK (but slow). It's the process of moving that content to your 1505 where the previous content is overwritten by the new content. There's no reason why there should be a bunch of empty space on your 1505, so don't fret about that.

Another issue is that they are very hard to understand, there English is very broken.
As I understand it, they've moved their support to Mexico. I had occasion to talk to someone down there the other day, and was actually pleased with both the command of English and the lack of strong accent. I did have her repeat a couple of things using phonetics to be sure (e.g., TOM for T, MARY for M, etc.), but that would have been true in most cases. Guess it's all a matter of who you get on the other end.

What I find interesting is that they are suggesting you pick up an XXL540 or similar as a replacement. Truth to tell, an XXL540TM is a fine little unit, and we can actually keep you out of trouble with one of those since the file system is accessible.

thanks

Thanks y'all for your help. Spent moring with tomtom and nada. I am returning unit for a refund. I am currently looking at garmins for options but I will not buy another tomtom that advertises soemthing that it will not do.

Replacements From amazon.com

... They are still suggesting that I return item for another, hard to do when I purchased through Amazon. ...
If you are in the United States, I can tell you for a fact that amazon.com will allow you to replace the unit free of charge. The last time I did this (over a year ago), they paid the shipping costs in both directions (sending the faulty item back, sending out the replacement item).

It's very simple to do from your amazon.com account and you don't even have to call.

Depending on what your priorities are for a navigation device, switching to Garmin may not be the best decision, in my opinion. I have both, and each has it's advantages, but I would certainly never, not ever, use a Garmin for traffic avoidance. IQ Routes (or a working equivalent) is a necessity for this in my view and it's the main reason I switched from Garmin to TomTom (as well as HD Traffic, essentially). If your priorities are more for tourism and traveling around the country, then you'll probably be just fine with a Garmin instead.

For my 1505M I was able to find the solution for "no maps found".

Firstly, make sure you have installed extra memory in the TomTom, and then reboot your PC in "safe mode with networking", and then download the map. That is the trick. I believe that the tomtom gps has too short of a timeout for its communication driver. Unfortunately, when comms fail, the map download starts from scratch. I believe that safe mode, which has minimal apps installed on your PC, the comms driver is able to always respond quickly enough to handshake signals with the tomtom gps

After downloading the map you should reset the gps by keeping the on/off button depressed until the gps reboots (takes maybe 10-15 seconds).

This should work for any of the models where people are seeing the "no maps found" message.

Regards,

Brian

Last edited:
You know it works most of the times, David.

Trouble is that most people at the time are upset and anxious, delete the cache and download again.

Ask a Question