1 Question ..

I bought SD card, 4 GB. and i have it already in my tomtom, but when i Go to TT home to update my GPS i see 2 Options. 1 of the 2 Options is to Select the SD card, so..it should be like this ?? i mean is this normal or should be just 1 option ? and when i update my device should i update it to my GPS direct or can i put the latest update to my SD card ?? Plus i have a little Memory left in my GPS, whats going to happen when i have no more room for updates ??? can i Install all the new updates to the SD card and it will work ??

sorry but newbie lol.

Yes, it's quite normal to be asked what memory location you want when you start up for models such as yours. The 7x series uses sdhc storage IN CONJUNCTION with internal rather than an either/or situation for lower end models.

You can put the application on internal and put the map itself on the sdhc card (that's what I do ;)) You can also put mp3s on the card, photos, etc.

So, in summary, when asked what location to select, it's up to you. Let's say you have the map on the card and you want Home to update mapshares, then select the external (sd) when you first connect to Home. If it's a gpsquickfix you wish to download, you may want to select internal.

So, in summary, when asked what location to select, it's up to you. Let's say you have the map on the card and you want Home to update mapshares, then select the external (sd) when you first connect to Home. If it's a gpsquickfix you wish to download, you may want to select internal.
The problem I've found with this is that Home wants to update everything in a single go. So frequently, you'll get both the Quickfix & Mapshares going to the same location, unless you're really paying attention.

The trick is to catch the updater & install just the parts you want in a particular memory location, then Disconnect/Reconnect your TomTom, select the other location & update again with the remaining selections.

This can be a pain.

I've found that whether I select internal or SD to start, the QuickGPSFix and MapShare info always wind up in the right location. For example, I have the OS on the internal, and even if I fire up the unit on the SD card first, the new emphemeris data always winds up in the correct folder on the internal.

Then again, I have no duplication of OS or maps between the internal memory and external card. I'm not sure HOW Home handles the updating in that event.

My experience matches yours, canderson.

I have also found with recent Home iterations that Home has (finally) given up checking the install box for items I continually unchecked every time I'd update with Home.

I had read somewhere that Home 'learns' your choices sooner or later

My experience matches yours, canderson.

I have also found with recent Home iterations that Home has (finally) given up checking the install box for items I continually unchecked every time I'd update with Home.

I had read somewhere that Home 'learns' your choices sooner or later
Funny you mention that. I didn't realize that it was the feature you mention that has caused Home to stop trying to push a boatload of extra voices on me all the time. Used to be the case that I'd get quite a lot of them offered on every update attempt, but no longer. It's been quite some time since that happened.

Hrmm.. I haven't tried loading anything but music onto my SD card, since several NavCore versions ago. I do remember it was very frustrating.

Maybe it's improved to the point of usability.

Yes, it's quite normal to be asked what memory location you want when you start up for models such as yours. The 7x series uses sdhc storage IN CONJUNCTION with internal rather than an either/or situation for lower end models.

You can put the application on internal and put the map itself on the sdhc card (that's what I do ;)) You can also put mp3s on the card, photos, etc.

Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This exactly why I store everything on the SD card and use the internal for music and pictures only. That way when ever I open Home, I only have to select "Memory card" and never internal.

Ask a Question