Passenger mode for TT Rider

Not sure if this is what it is referred to as, but I think I have read "Passenger Mode" elsewhere. So I took my new Rider off the bike, and tossed it in the car last night. My wife wanted to play with it while we were out, but it looks like once you are moving you can not access anything. I did not notice this on the bike, as there are more important things to pay attention to, but this was rather annoying. This seems to be the case with modern GPS nav units. My older iQue had no such limitation. Is there anyway to disable this? Better yet, a way to easily enable and disable it at will.

Thanks

wififun

I have a rider as well and also use it in my car . I have additionly noticed that you can't make a phone call while in motion, you can only receive calls with a blue tooth phone. Which is a good thing for me. Makes me keep my attention on the other driver while I ride. Sorry I don't have an answer for you to disable the fewer menu option. I only find the screen to show fewer menu options in the change preferences. There are several very knowledgeable members on this forum so maybe one of them can answer you question.

Scott, Yea I noticed the call features being disabled too. I came to the same conclusion that this is likely for the best while on the bike. However, it removes the ability to use the device as a hands free unit while in the car. Rather to bad really. I am sure that with all the 3rd party tools out there that it is possible to change this behavior. Lets hope so.

Well I've got say, I have now spent more time with the TomTom and now as a passenger. I really hope there is a way to put this in a passenger mode. It was ridiculous to not be able to change the route, or load up Tripmaster. We hit some nasty traffic heading to the tennis tournament, and all I wanted to do was find a surface street around it. No dice. Very frustrated with this "Safety" limitation.

I know that if you tape over the "second from left" contact point as you look at the Rider from behind that you can eliminate the "safety" menu when the Rider is in it's cradle. I have seen a picture but it's basically just taking a small piece of tape and covering that contact (of the four) that are on the back of the Rider.

When I use mine in the car I do not have the minimal Rider menu. I am using the car kit mount. I may have added something from LeWebBazar site (recommended) http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/ that got rid of the safety menu but I can't remember. All I know is that I don't have the menu issue anymore when in the car or the bike.

Last edited:
If you remove it from the cycle cradle you get full menu options or do as the above post said, tape over the contact.

I was searching for a car cradle and a call to TomTom Support (for another issue) had me go to mobileplanet.com to order the car cradle. The car adapter appears to use the power adapter on the bottom of the unit rather than the contacts on the back.

If you remove it from the cycle cradle you get full menu options or do as the above post said, tape over the contact.

I was searching for a car cradle and a call to TomTom Support (for another issue) had me go to mobileplanet.com to order the car cradle. The car adapter appears to use the power adapter on the bottom of the unit rather than the contacts on the back.

That is correct Thom. I have the car kit and the power connects to the small, round "port" underneath the bottom latch of the unit. I have not had any issues with the "safety" menu when in the car.

The good news is I received a new cycle cradle today. I'll have to see how it works on my trip to Portland, OR next week. I took the standard cycle power cable and wired it up to a cig lighter power adapter so I can use it in the car.

The good news is I received a new cycle cradle today. I'll have to see how it works on my trip to Portland, OR next week. I took the standard cycle power cable and wired it up to a cig lighter power adapter so I can use it in the car.

Good luck with the lighter power adaptor Thom. I tried that myseld many moons ago and could not get it to work for me. Have you tried Amazon and some other shops for the car kit? I know I had trouble getting it from TT but did manage to get it somewhere :confused: without too much trouble and it does make the Rider quite good in the car (minus the audio issues),

Good luck with the lighter power adaptor Thom. I tried that myseld many moons ago and could not get it to work for me. Have you tried Amazon and some other shops for the car kit? I know I had trouble getting it from TT but did manage to get it somewhere :confused: without too much trouble and it does make the Rider quite good in the car (minus the audio issues),

The original worked for about 2 months so I'm hoping this one works until I get the car mount from mobileplanet.com. I've got an aftermarket power adapter that plugs into teh socket on the bottom right now, but I cannot use the cradle with it. I will just take that with me in case the cradle malfunctions.

Ask a Question