Problem adding newly updated map to TomTom ONE

Hi everyone,

First time poster & GPS user here. I just got my TT ONE 3rd edition, now I'm trying to figure out the ins/outs of a GPS. I have come across one problem. Since I'm within the 30 day purchase period, I was able to dl the US & Canada 720 maps. It downloaded just fine into TT Home (took a while!). I click on "Add maps, traffic, voice, etc." > Items on my computer > Select my new map and hit "add" > at this point, it starts to install it into the GPS. BTW, I've already deleted my old version to make space. TT Home says it's completed, but my map is nowhere to be found. My GPS is mapless, (except for Guam which I kept), and when I click on "Show contents of my ONE", it does not show up. What gives?? I still have 953.9 mb of memory, so it obviously didn't install. I already emailed TT customer support, but I'm hoping I can get this resolved sooner.

TIA!

I also had the same issue yesterday.

If you goto updates you will find an update present for Tomtom 3rd Edition Software, do that and then install the maps using TT Home, your problem will be resolved.

Thanks

Last edited:
I also had the same issue yesterday.

If you goto updates you will find an update present for Tomtom 3rd Edition Software, do that and then install the maps using TT Home, your problem will be resolved.

Thanks

I added the update and then did the install, still didn't work :(

As for the memory issue, the file size is 847.6mb and I currently have 953.9mb free. TT still hasn't gotten back to me to help resolve.

Keep us updated

asnic

I bought a TT one third last Sat, and the same thing happened no map nowhere to be found. I talked to the place of purchase and they could not help so they just replaced the unit and now I have been hesitant to try to load the new map for fear of losing the one that came with it. Let us know what support says.

Thanks Wayne:confused:

asnic

I bought a TT one third last Sat, and the same thing happened no map nowhere to be found. I talked to the place of purchase and they could not help so they just replaced the unit and now I have been hesitant to try to load the new map for fear of losing the one that came with it. Let us know what support says.

Thanks Wayne:confused:

Hi Wayne,

I just got some directions from support - if it ends up fixing my map issue, I'll post the directions. As for your fear of losing your map - you can make a backup onto your desktop. You can create the backup either through TT Home or just with Windows Explorer.

Thanks, for the reply Asnic,

I had not read the quick start guide on the first unit (who needs to read a stinking guide I know what I'm doing, yeah right!) and did not back a backup. On the 2nd unit that was the first thing I did. Let me know how everything turns out.

Wayne

Thanks, for the reply Asnic,

I had not read the quick start guide on the first unit (who needs to read a stinking guide I know what I'm doing, yeah right!) and did not back a backup. On the 2nd unit that was the first thing I did. Let me know how everything turns out.

Wayne

Well, tech support told me to manually move the map from Windows Explorer to my TT, rather than using TT Home. I got stuck with their directions halfway, so I gave up (I couldn't go passed a certain point). What I decided to do seemed to fix the problem: 1) deleted my current map to make space (make sure you make a backup first) 2) re-downloaded the map from TT. I'm thinking here was where the problems started - my first DL was rather quick, maybe about an hour for a 8XX mb dl. When I did it the second time, it took HOURS to dl. There was probably a problem with the file that DL - unfortunately, TT does not provide you with any type of error messages. 3) installed the new file and voila - it works!!

Just for kicks - here are the directions that TT sent me - it might work for someone else:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Shellie and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience.

We apologize for your frustration with your download not going through. We recommend that you manually install the map. The instructions on how to manually install the map are as follows:

1) Open My Documents

2) Open the TomTom folder

3) Open the HOME folder

4) Open the Downloads folder

5) Have the customer open the Maps folder, and open the folder for the map they downloaded

6) Find the <name of map>.CAB file and double click it.

7) Copy the contents of the folder (should be about 10-12 files) and paste them to a new folder on the device. The folder should be named after the map? ex. USA_and_Canada, Western_Europe (there can be no spaces in the name)

8) Test the resolution by looking in TomTom Home which should now be able to see the maps (restart Home if needed!)

If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is a way around the ridiculous issue of TomTom not allowing the larger-than-stock, more detailed, maps for the higher-end devices - to be used on a lower-spec unit such as the TomTom One New Edition (with the appropriately larger SD card to physically hold the larger map?)

Example - I'm heading out to Canada and Alaska on a bike trip with my son, and would like to use the 264.8MB "Canada and Alaska" map from any of the 920, 720, Rider 2 devices in place of the less detailed and smaller 164 MB version of the "Canada and Alaska" map that is intended for the TT One New Edition or the TT Third Edition devices.

I already have a larger 2GB SD card installed and working with my old 7.10 USA and Canada maps - and would like to add the 264.8MB detailed "Canada and Alaska" map onto the card as well, and select that map from the TT when we're in Canada or Alaska.

I understand that Home now restricts one from installing the more detailed maps as above (despite one actually buying and paying for the more detailed maps!) but if the maps can be copied across to the device without Home, as specified in the post above - is this not a viable workaround to this marketing ploy restriction from TomTom, and allow us to use the maps we want and paid for?

Has anyone actually tried/ done this manual copy without Home successfully, with a larger map - and any subsequent Home related issues?

As logical as your request is, I don't think it can be done. Maps, as you note are unit specific.

Well, I just got off the line with TomTom support, a lady by the name of "Rose" hwo was extremely friendly and polite, and I told her that I was about to embark on a trip into Canada and Alaska on my motorcycle with my son, and wanted to purchase and download the more detailed version of the "Canada and Alaska" map that it usually intended for the higher level TT devices such as the 520/720/920/Rider, etc - and install and use it on my TT One 2d Edition on my 2GB SD card.

She said she needed to check....went away and came back and told me to go ahead and purchase the more detailed map, and that I would be able to copy it directly to my SD card once it was in my Home account.

Now, this seems completely against what we've been seeing lately, so I very specifically asked to confirm the above, which she very categorically and specifically confirmed was quite valid to do.

I even got a support reference # 080519-011430 on this topic, in case I find this does NOT work.

We'll see! :)

I'll report back if it does not work, and the outcome with support after that.

TomTom support was extremely pleasant, courteous and helpful during my call, but I do believe they are not correct with this one..........but maybe TT have changed their minds about not being able to download and install the greater detail maps on specific devices???

Worked perfectly!

To recap, I wanted the most detailed map of Canada & Alaska V7.20 for my TomTom One New Edition (i.e. 2nd Edition, with the SD card slot), but the Canada & Alaska map V7.20 that is available for download through Home for the TT One unit like mine - is the smaller, less detailed, 164MB map, and not the larger, more detailed 264.8 MB map that is available for the more expensive TT units such as the 520/720/920/Rider 2.

I called TT support and asked them if I coud download the TT 720's "Canada & Alaska" map V7.20 to install on my TT One with the 2GB SD card...and they said "Yes, no problem!"

As I could NOT view this larger map through Home with the TT One connected (as it filters the maps meant for the TT One only), I simply purchased the map through the TT website, specifying my GPS unit as the 720, and selecting the 264.8 MB V7.20 map for "Canada & Alaska."

Once this was paid and confirmed, I hooked up the TT One and Home found the new map on my account, and made it available for download, which I did without any issues at all, and it installed the new map on my 2GB SD card in the TT one unit, and it copied over all the POI & voices I had previously paid for and downloaded, and then downloaded the map share updates for the new map, and the latest GPSFix file.

Installation ran through without any problem at all. When completed, I had the new, larger, Canada & Alaska V7.20 264.8 MB file and the older "USA and Canada" V7.10 smaller TT One version map, and of course, the old Guam map.

I selected the new Canada & Alaska map, and best of all.....as I am within 50 miles of the Canadian border, my home and much of the local area in the USA is within this detailed map!

Now, I'm sorry I did not try to pay and download the 1.6GB TT720 version of the "North America" map - but I suspect that unless there is a correspondingly named map for the TT1, it will not be possible to do this (the TT1 does not have any version of the "North America" map).

Thoughts?

Old Baldy,

I believe the regional maps work on the One. The North_America map will not however, even with a 2 gig sd card.* The Canada_and_Alaska map is probably a regional map and why it works.

*requires a bit of hackery

Old Baldy,

I believe the regional maps work on the One. The North_America map will not however, even with a 2 gig sd card.* The Canada_and_Alaska map is probably a regional map and why it works.

*requires a bit of hackery

Yeah, I can confirm the 720/920/Rider 2 Canada & Alaska (detailed) map works great in the One. I love the fact that this 7.20 version has very accurate speed limits on all the roads I've ridden on so far - even the surface streets off the highway (not small residential roads though), and lots more detail than the smaller map meant for the ONE.

Now if only there was a "USA" detailed map for the 720/920/Rider, I would download that as well, but there is only one version of this map - the small one for usage on the TT One, which appears to be the same map across all the devices (optional on the upper-end models, which have the much more detailed and larger North America maps, and thus no real need for a USA only map)

My assumption is that if the EXACT NAME of the map is not associated with the device, then it is not possible to purchase, download and install the larger detailed map meant for the upper model devices, on the ONE (for example, the "North America" maps which don't exist for the ONE), but that all other maps that have the same name CAN be installed this way, provided you have a large enough memory space.

Last edited:

Ask a Question