Zoom out: how many miles max?

JMD

Hi!
I would like to know how many miles we can see by zooming out at the upper level on the TT GO models?
Is 50 miles the maximum distance we can see on the 2D map? When trvelling thru Germany or France, I would like to know where I am on the map.
Do we see names of the cities by zooming out?

On my 720, in Browse Map, the height above the surface appears to be 5000 km (about 3000 miles)

At 200 km, I see various cities showing in North America.

So I expect you should see similar results in Europe as you play with the zoom out/in slider.

None taken.

A horizontal bar on the top left of the Browse screen showed a measurement of 5000 km. I may have misinterpreted the meaning, it well may have been the distance you see from point A to point B on the map image shown. Just like a paper map.

But, it was high up. Showed the entire NA continent. :D

Thanks for your info.
when you talk about the browse map, do you refer to the 2D map that can be chosed instead of the 3D map when driving?
That's right, I'm wondering how many miles we can see from the right/left (top/bottom) screen in the 2D view WHEN DRIVING. Not easy to know where I'm when travelling thru a country and it'll be nice if we could see the borders by zooming out to get an idea.

When zoomed a long way out remember the device switches from the map to the image files stored in the raster folder - Mike

Hi!
I would like to know how many miles we can see by zooming out at the upper level on the TT GO models?
Is 50 miles the maximum distance we can see on the 2D map? When trvelling thru Germany or France, I would like to know where I am on the map.
Do we see names of the cities by zooming out?
I don't think TomTom can give you what you want.
Setting up an A .. B trip, Oslo - Paris and running it in 2D DEMO mode (500%) it does show the names of towns being passed.

Using the zoom out [ - ] in the top right corner will show some of the larger places only but it reverts to the regular drive view after 10 seconds..
A map, A4 size each for Germany and France, should be sufficient for orientation.

I generally use Google maps when planing a trip as that makes it easy to drag the route line to other places without having to type everything over again. Also, just by entering the departure place and the destination Google will usually already offer one or two alternatives.
The most important part of Google maps for me is that I do get the general overview. That is useless for SWMBO who cannot read maps or knows where North/South/Est/West is, and that in North America!

If you have any specific questions, fire away.

Add on note:
Although there was no Reality View, I was amazed how well the ALG worked in Norway and Sweden with my 805 W&CE map!

Last edited:
Thanks for your info.
when you talk about the browse map, do you refer to the 2D map that can be chosed instead of the 3D map when driving?
That's right, I'm wondering how many miles we can see from the right/left (top/bottom) screen in the 2D view WHEN DRIVING. Not easy to know where I'm when travelling thru a country and it'll be nice if we could see the borders by zooming out to get an idea.
I don't remember on top of my head but I do believe that I can view entire a very large surrounding area.
I'll play on my unit and get back later.

Thanks for your info.
Starting from Lowell, MA, using 2D mode for navigation, the maximum out-zoom I got that I can see Boston in the South and Manchester, NH up North, so I guess maximum range is probably about 28 or 30 mile radius.

Ask a Question