Yards = Feet ?

Hi there !

Loving my new ONEv4, except for one thing that bugs me-- I'm not a great judge of distance by eye, but sometimes it seems that the number the voice reads as being "x" amount of yards away is in actuality "x" amount of FEET away. At very least I can guesstimate that a road is coming up in 100 feet, not 100 yards-- the length of an American football field. I can eyeball 300 feet versus 100 feet in this case.

From the thread at https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=726&highlight=feet I know that you can't change the annunciator to speak in feet rather than yards, that's OK. I'm mainly looking for a more accurate yard measurement.

Is it just a peculiarity of TomTom ? It's accurate enough to figure out where the turn is and to tell me when to turn, so I don't believe it to be an accuracy thing ? I remember this happening on the TT Mobile and Navigator versions I've seen and played with in the past, but I was hoping the standalone unit would work differently.

Not a deal breaker, just "one of those things" that shouldn't, but will probably bug me from time to time.

Thanks !!

-Nick

From owning both a 910 and a ONE.
I know that the 910 says everything im miles and feet.
The ONE says everything ine miles and yards.

So if the 910 and one are next to each other, will one say a turn is 300 feet away while the other says 100 yards ? I don't mind that it says yards so much, but I'm just hoping that the yards are actually yards and not feet-- sorta seems that they are.

Hi GreenTentacle,

Sounds like you may have a lag problem (where the instruction is being given too late). Do you have many custom POI's activated? Or 3rd-party apps?

Nope, only chose 3 built-in POI categories, no 3rd party apps. I'll double check this weekend since i have some travelling to do, I'll see if I can check the distances. I'm told to turn at the right time, just the distance seems wrong.

Hi there !

Loving my new ONEv4, except for one thing that bugs me-- I'm not a great judge of distance by eye, but sometimes it seems that the number the voice reads as being "x" amount of yards away is in actuality "x" amount of FEET away. At very least I can guesstimate that a road is coming up in 100 feet, not 100 yards-- the length of an American football field. I can eyeball 300 feet versus 100 feet in this case.

From the thread at https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=726&highlight=feet I know that you can't change the annunciator to speak in feet rather than yards, that's OK. I'm mainly looking for a more accurate yard measurement.

Is it just a peculiarity of TomTom ? It's accurate enough to figure out where the turn is and to tell me when to turn, so I don't believe it to be an accuracy thing ? I remember this happening on the TT Mobile and Navigator versions I've seen and played with in the past, but I was hoping the standalone unit would work differently.

Not a deal breaker, just "one of those things" that shouldn't, but will probably bug me from time to time.

Thanks !!

-Nick

I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Palm/Tom Tom Navigator Edition 2. It says "400 yards" when most of the time it MEANS "400 feet". And I've seen other complaints of this on the web. Someone even posted that they reported this problem to TomTom way back in 2005 and they were "investigating".

Seems to me the only solution is to go in and record your own custom voice saying "FEET" whenever the prompt is supposed to be "Yards". The only problem with that is about 20% of the time it seems that TomTom actually DOES mean yards when it says "yards". But 80% of the time it's closer to feet than yards.

Keep in mind that when you are moving in a car you are eating up distance very quickly, and it can seem stuff isn't very far away because you get up on it so fast.

At only 35 miles per hour you are eating up 51 feet per second so you can cross a football field pretty quickly.

I don't know if there is an issue with the TT or not but it may just be a perception issue that things appear closer to you because you are on them so soon.

I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Palm/Tom Tom Navigator Edition 2. It says "400 yards" when most of the time it MEANS "400 feet".

I had exactly this same problem on my New 720. Changing from a recorded to computerized voice, changed the yards back to feet, Forget all the hypothisizing here, I am a very good judge of distance by the eye, and it was indeed saying yards when it meant feet. Switched to computer voice solved the problem, and I am happy as can be with the 720 other then probably 40-50% of the POI are off, sometimes by a mile or so.

I sorta thought my One New Edition was short-changing me also on the distances. I live on a side street that only allows for slower speeds. I'll check the distance with google maps or something like that and then compare it with the TT once it says something.

I'd certainly like to hear what the TT people say if they ever finish investigating it. It shouldn't take much equipment/know-how to discover something in their investigations.

I had exactly this same problem on my New 720. Changing from a recorded to computerized voice, changed the yards back to feet, Forget all the hypothisizing here, I am a very good judge of distance by the eye, and it was indeed saying yards when it meant feet. Switched to computer voice solved the problem, and I am happy as can be with the 720 other then probably 40-50% of the POI are off, sometimes by a mile or so.

Absolutely agree with the computerized voice having everything to do with the yards vs feet issue. Without the computerized voice the default is yards with my daughters ONE 130S.

Ask a Question