TomTom Yards = Feet???

I own a TomTom One. TomTom states yards when I am approaching a destination when clearly the distance is feet. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

I own a TomTom One. TomTom states yards when I am approaching a destination when clearly the distance is feet. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks!
I've read this on the forum a few times but I have to say it seems right to me. I played golf for a lot of years and when Lori says, "In 400 yards - turn right". It's further than I could ever hit a driver (even with an asphalt bounce). If it was 400 feet it would be just a 9 iron. :D

I've read this on the forum a few times but I have to say it seems right to me. I played golf for a lot of years and when Lori says, "In 400 yards - turn right". It's further than I could ever hit a driver (even with an asphalt bounce). If it was 400 feet it would be just a 9 iron. :D

What if you were driving on a very windy road with the wind coming at you? Still a 9-iron? :)

just askin ....:cool:

What if you were driving on a very windy road with the wind coming at you? Still a 9-iron? :)

just askin ....:cool:

LOL. I guess I'd have to use more club. :rolleyes:

windy-golf.jpg

OK, so is there a fix for it? I talking about Tomtom - not your swing;)

OK, so is there a fix for it? I talking about Tomtom - not your swing;)

A fix for what, exactly? Are you saying that when it says "in 800 yards take the exit right" that the distance is *really* only 800 feet?

Are you CERTAIN?

(btw, 800 yards is approximately half a mile)

- or - are you saying that you *want* it to say "in 800 feet" but it says "yards" instead?

Your choices are for it to say "yards" or "meters" (and then only with a European voice, I think). It will display in yards/feet or meters/km depending on your choice in Preferences.

Could you please clarify what exactly it is that you want? :confused:

Thanks!

Mine reports in yards and is reasonably accurate - I'm fairly confortable estimating distances - I used to have to do it for a living.

Perhaps you have something else happening, perhaps not updating your current position correctly or fast enough?

In any event, if you're sure it's not working correctly, contact support. In spite of some of the notes posted here, I found them to be very friendly and helpful.

Rick

A fix for what, exactly? Are you saying that when it says "in 800 yards take the exit right" that the distance is *really* only 800 feet?

Are you CERTAIN?

(btw, 800 yards is approximately half a mile)

- or - are you saying that you *want* it to say "in 800 feet" but it says "yards" instead?

Your choices are for it to say "yards" or "meters" (and then only with a European voice, I think). It will display in yards/feet or meters/km depending on your choice in Preferences.

Could you please clarify what exactly it is that you want? :confused:

Yes, I am CERTAIN. When I am at close range of an exit - it states "yards" and there is no way on this planet that I am 8 football fields distance from my exit...I checked the settings and, as you stated there are two options. I don't particularly care what unit measurement it gives me - Just want accuracy. Perhaps I should contact customer support

Yes, I am CERTAIN. When I am at close range of an exit - it states "yards" and there is no way on this planet that I am 8 football fields distance from my exit...I checked the settings and, as you stated there are two options. I don't particularly care what unit measurement it gives me - Just want accuracy. Perhaps I should contact customer support

Perhaps you should because my TT is definitely correct - when it says "in 800 yards take the exit right", the exit is about half a mile away.

ps. you do know that the football field is 100 yards WITHOUT the end zones? Keep that in mind when you judge distance visually.

pss. ALSO - there is some terrain which gets in the way of the TT accessing the satellites (ie in a mountain valley, or in a city with a bunch of skyscrapers). In such circumstances, the measurements may be off since it's estimating your distance based upon your previous speed. Be sure to test your distance measurements in places that the TT has a clear & unobstructed "view" of the satellites.

My 720 routinely says that I have 15 to 25 yards to the next turn when I am right at the intersection. The last number fades as I begin the turn. By the way, whether your count down distance is in yards or feet depends upon which voice you are using.

I think the "Mandy" voice quotes in feet and miles, rather than yards or meters. Is there any other voice that talks in miles and feet, or is Mandy the only one? I don't think most Americans are used to meters and yards, and I guess TomTom is based in Europe.

A problem you may run into is that TT licenced the computer voices for the low end models (such as the 125) from a different company (Vocalizer) than the Go models (Loquendo).

The two are not interchangeable and I suspect you have far fewer computer choices than do the owners of 7x and 9x series models.

I answered some of this on another thread today, but while reading this one I got to thinking about the measurments and regardless of yards or feet on my TTonexl when things get say within one mile or less and it's talking I just look at the bottom of my screen and there is a countdown to either my destination or next turn, also as mentioned about being upon the turn or whatever before or at the exact time the TT is showing, maybe by distancing the TT out a little further might make a difference in the visual aspects.....:confused:

A problem you may run into is that TT licenced the computer voices for the low end models (such as the 125) from a different company (Vocalizer) than the Go models (Loquendo).

The two are not interchangeable and I suspect you have far fewer computer choices than do the owners of 7x and 9x series models.

The Mandy voice sounds like a British person trying to speak with an American accent. They really cut costs to bring the price of the 125 down to below $100.

Anyway, I want to record my own voice to use on the TomTom, but their instructions online aren't correct. They give you all the words you have to record, but "miles" and "feet" aren't included in the list of words. I guess I'm stuck with pesky Mandy until I can figure something out. They provide little support for the 125 (I don't know if the 130 is the same way).

Ask a Question